Hawkeye Keeper League: Who You Takin?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Many of us have played or currently play in a fantasy football league. Some of those leagues are 'keeper leagues' where you can keep a player or player from one year to the next.

It's a given that during the course of every Iowa football season, I think something along the lines of 'If only player X had one more year.'

In 2009, Iowa's magical season that began with a nine-game winning streak and ended with an Orange Bowl win, I wondered 'What if Shonn Greene had stuck around for his senior season? Could this team have won a national championship?'

You never can tell how things would have gone prior to the Northwestern game where Stanzi got hurt, and such talk is fodder for hours of bar stool debate...it can be fun, even if it has little value.

May is the month to ask such lighthearted questions, as June provides a half month of daily looks at college football magazines, putting together our own Iowa football preview and preparing for the home stretch of July where the pigskin parade begins to wind up.

So I ask you this question; if you could play Iowa Football Keeper League and pull back just one player from last year's roster, who would it be and why?

Three names instantly come to mind; Adrian Clayborn, Karl Klug and Ricky Stanzi. So then I look to the players who will fill in for them this year and decide which position will see the biggest drop off in talent.

I believe James Vandenberg can put up some big numbers in 2011. He'll be playing behind a line akin to the 2008 crew, whom Stanzi played behind as a first year starter. However, Vandenberg is farther along in the developmental process as a first year starter than Stanzi was and I do not expect to see a 17/15 TD to INT ratio from JVB the way we had it in 2008 from Stanzi. Yeah, JVB won't be handing the ball off to Greene, but Marcus Coker should have a solid year and that line might be just as good if not better than the 2008 line, which was the second best in the Ferentz era. So I draw a line through Stanzi and let him go earn a paycheck holding a clipboard in KC (which is nice work, if you can get it).

So it's down to Clayborn or Klug. Regardless of who fills their spots, and it's going to be their side of the field, the right side, that is totally revamped, we are talking huge unknowns. Did Karl Klug succeed because the player to his right, Clayborn, drew a lot of attention? There is some truth there. But Klug also saw some attention and few dominant players do it all by themselves. While Klug wasn't dominant, he was quietly disruptive and more than pulled his weight on the line.

However, I am going to go with Clayborn. He'd occupy more attention allowing an unproven player more one on one opportunities.

I guess this is also an exercise in the area I am most concerned about heading into 2011. I am certainly excited to see the Iowa defensive line philosophy put to the test again next season and get another lesson in in the 'scheme or personnel' debate.

So who is your pick? Post your thoughts below.

If he wasn't a messed-up a-hole, I'd take DJK. Since he is, I'd probably take Clayborn and hope he'd play like he did in 2009.

While I think of those three as well, I have 2 others. With only on field production I say DJK and R. Donahue. It seems you just don't replace that WR production at Iowa and I remember when R.D. took over punting duties. Very inconsistent. If I had to pick one I am going DJK. We have seemed to replaced the other positions over the years very well.

Gotta go with Donahue. On the rare occasion that O'Keefe dialed up a 3 and out, Donahue always got off a nice punt that left the left the opposition needing to go an extra 10 yards or so to paydirt.

Vandervelde. I believe Wisconsin returned their whole o-line last year and they were downright dominant, even against good defenses like ours.

Can I take two of a player that the Hawks ARE returning? If so, I want two Reiffs.

And to the question at hand:
I have got to go with Stanzi. Seeing how he progressed from year 1 to 2, then 2 to 3, he could be a Heisman front runner with equal progression from year 3 to 4. Add in a relatively inexperienced receiving corps and a quality, experienced QB could be the difference between 7-5 and 10-2. I don't think any other individual is good enough to make a three win swing over his potential replacement.

Vandervelde. I believe Wisconsin returned their whole o-line last year and they were downright dominant, even against good defenses like ours.

This is not the case as Wisconsin had 3 o-lineman drafted to the nfl.. carimi in 1st, moffitt in 3rd and nagy in 7th..

Big fan of Stanzi BUT I am excited to see what Vandenberg can do.

Wouldn't mind having another playmaker back at WR, but I'll pass on DJK.

Vanderverlde would be nice to have back but our O-Line should be solid.

I have to go with our 2 biggest areas of need..D-Line and secondary. Toss up for me with Klug, Clayborn and Sash.

Dude, he was saying they returned the line LAST year. I go with Adrian. Alvis is going to make us forget Klug fast, just like Klug made us forget Kroul.

I would go with Ballard. He is/was the most versatile on the line with the ability to go inside and out. Would allow for a better rotation among the new blood.

I like who Iowa has at DE for 2011. If we had better depth at DT, we'd be able to slip Alvis back over to DE and then our DE spots would be manned by Binns, Daniel, Forgy, and Alvis. I think that those guys comprise a very capable quartet of DEs. Thus, while Clayborn would definitely make a the 2011 group of DEs even better ... I think that Iowa has bigger issues at DT than DE.

I'm kinda split between wanting Klug or Ballard back at DT. Yeah, Ballard mostly played DE in '10 ... however, he has the size, athleticism, and power to make a positive impact on the inside. It's because of the "extra beef" that I think that Ballard would be able to help the '11 DL. However, Klug's motor was a thing to behold ... and thus, he'd be a big contributer too.

Another set of big shoes to fill is in the secondary. I frankly would have preferred to have Sash remain for his SR year. Not only would it have helped him in the draft ... but it would also help our group of safeties be less green. Iowa has talent coming in at safety ... particularly with Hyde getting reps at FS ... however, the lack of STARTs at safety will still leave the group exploitable through the first part of the season.

Lastly, Donahue was a weapon. The replacements simply don't compare.

Thus, in no particular order, I'd go with ....

- Klug/Ballard [at DT]
- Donahue
- Sash

As me to break it down to one ... and it would be like asking me who is my favorite child is ...

Many of us have played or currently play in a fantasy football league. Some of those leagues are 'keeper leagues' where you can keep a player or player from one year to the next.

It's a given that during the course of every Iowa football season, I think something along the lines of 'If only player X had one more year.'

In 2009, Iowa's magical season that began with a nine-game winning streak and ended with an Orange Bowl win, I wondered 'What if Shonn Greene had stuck around for his senior season? Could this team have won a national championship?'

You never can tell how things would have gone prior to the Northwestern game where Stanzi got hurt, and such talk is fodder for hours of bar stool debate...it can be fun, even if it has little value.

May is the month to ask such lighthearted questions, as June provides a half month of daily looks at college football magazines, putting together our own Iowa football preview and preparing for the home stretch of July where the pigskin parade begins to wind up.

So I ask you this question; if you could play Iowa Football Keeper League and pull back just one player from last year's roster, who would it be and why?

Three names instantly come to mind; Adrian Clayborn, Karl Klug and Ricky Stanzi. So then I look to the players who will fill in for them this year and decide which position will see the biggest drop off in talent.

I believe James Vandenberg can put up some big numbers in 2011. He'll be playing behind a line akin to the 2008 crew, whom Stanzi played behind as a first year starter. However, Vandenberg is farther along in the developmental process as a first year starter than Stanzi was and I do not expect to see a 17/15 TD to INT ratio from JVB the way we had it in 2008 from Stanzi. Yeah, JVB won't be handing the ball off to Greene, but Marcus Coker should have a solid year and that line might be just as good if not better than the 2008 line, which was the second best in the Ferentz era. So I draw a line through Stanzi and let him go earn a paycheck holding a clipboard in KC (which is nice work, if you can get it).

So it's down to Clayborn or Klug. Regardless of who fills their spots, and it's going to be their side of the field, the right side, that is totally revamped, we are talking huge unknowns. Did Karl Klug succeed because the player to his right, Clayborn, drew a lot of attention? There is some truth there. But Klug also saw some attention and few dominant players do it all by themselves. While Klug wasn't dominant, he was quietly disruptive and more than pulled his weight on the line.

However, I am going to go with Clayborn. He'd occupy more attention allowing an unproven player more one on one opportunities.

I guess this is also an exercise in the area I am most concerned about heading into 2011. I am certainly excited to see the Iowa defensive line philosophy put to the test again next season and get another lesson in in the 'scheme or personnel' debate.

So who is your pick? Post your thoughts below.

If Greene would have stayed for the 09 season and stayed healthy Iowa wins the Big Ten and plays for the National Title.

As for a hold over from the 2011 team don't feel any were irreplaceable, but if had to choose would say Stanzi always great having an experienced QB in the Big Ten.

Latest posts