Hawkeye Hoops Reminder

I don't think people are disappointed Iowa got beat by Michigan. I think people are disappointed Iowa got beat by 30 against Michigan.

Nice try, but we only lost by 28. Same as Northwestern, so I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that we are at least roughly as good as Northwestern (without their two best players) again.

But when you are settled at PG, that covers a lot of ills. Burke may be the best PG in the nation...his averages right now put him in the same category as Magic Johnson, who was the last Big Ten player to average over 17ppg and 7 assists per game.
Darn close to Woolridge's 20.2/6 campaign of 96/97!

Hawks need to get tougher, especially in transition defense and half court defense. Marble is the best player who can create a shot against man to man pressure but Gessel, Clemmons, and White are getting better. Hard to believe but this early conference schedule will either make this team better or destroy their confidence, hope they strap it on thursday because Izzo's teams try to beat the crap out you! Go Fran and Hawks!

Iowa is still a year away from being "back." It was very disheartening to watch the wheels fall off Sunday and listen to the B1G Network announcers ooh and ah over everything Michigan did. Especially as they, figuratively, pillaged our second teamers. (thanks for not raping them)
Most reasonable people knew this was most likely a loss before it started. As ghost stated, the final margin stung more than the loss itself.
Iowa will be OK. Iowa will not make the NCAA. Iowa will make an NIT run. Iowa will be "back" next season.

Well stated, I don't think I could have said it any better myself. This loss was upsetting, that's for sure. But if you're expectations for this Iowa team weren't too unrealistic to begin with, then this loss shouldn't sting that bad. Just remember what kind of shape the Iowa program was in when Fran took over. I still have faith that he will get it turned around, it's just not going to happen overnight.

I don't think people are disappointed Iowa got beat by Michigan. I think people are disappointed Iowa got beat by 30 against Michigan.

Since everyone wants to keep harping their angst, guess I'll have to keep repeating the rational rebuttal. (Apologies for quoting you, Ghost. I know you've got perspective on this but your comment references what I'm addressing.)

Some other notable losses over the years:
03-04 (16-13 team with Brunner, Horner, Pierce, Boyd, Reiner, Worley)
-- 89-72 home vs. MSU
-- 78-59 home vs. Illannoy
-- 76-56 at Mizzou

05-06 (25-9 team, #3 NCAA seed with Brunner, Horner, Haluska, Thomas, Hendersen, Hansen, Freeman)
-- 85-55 at MSU
-- 74-61 at Minny
-- 66-52 at Wisc
(not to mention losing at NwU and 1st round tourney to Northwestern State)

06-07 (17-14 team with Haluska, Tyler Smith, Freeman, Hendersen, Cy Tate)
-- 89-60 vs Nova in Virgin Islands
-- 75-59 at Drake
-- 81-49 at MSU (late season)
-- 74-55 vs Purdue (1st round b1g tourney)

As pointed out yesterday, this is not some aberration for Iowa basketball; these types of losses have occurred nearly every year, by teams of comparable, if not more, talent and experience than this year's team. Not to mention, against arguably inferior competition than this year's b1g (and certainly this year's Michigan).

Nut-punch reality check. Young, inexperienced, relatively talented team gets waxed by legit national title contender on the road because they abandoned / were forced out of what was working (inside attack went to chucking outside shots). As is likely to happen to young teams that are athletically overmatched, on the road, they fell apart on both ends of the floor. I have to give credit to PalmettoHawkFan's poignant, concise truth in the game thread, yesterday:
"the quality on this team lacks maturity, the maturity lacks quality" It's that simple.

Now, if something like this happens at home, or at Purdue, Wisconsin or any other "peer" team, then vent and wring your hands. Otherwise, accept the reasonable outcome between a NCAA title contender and a marginal bubble team and move on. (They still have to go to Minny and Indiana and it's going to be just as bad.)

It's still nearly chalk to get to 9-9 in conf.

I don't know a time where seeing your favorite team get smoked like that hasn't ever stung. But this isn't college football. Basketball can be much more fickle than that. If you have some talent, you can bounce back in a night, in a different venue (at home) and look altogether different.

Before the game, I said the following:

"What exactly have some of you guys been watching that makes you think this team is even slightly prepared to face a top team on the road and compete? I can't think of a realistic scenario where we don't get murdered."

I was expecting a beat down, but not like that. In particular, I am disappointed with how poor the coaching was after the first 10 minutes of the game.

Before the game, I said the following:

"What exactly have some of you guys been watching that makes you think this team is even slightly prepared to face a top team on the road and compete? I can't think of a realistic scenario where we don't get murdered."

I was expecting a beat down, but not like that. In particular, I am disappointed with how poor the coaching was after the first 10 minutes of the game.

Coaching happens in practice. When it's gametime it's up to the players to perform. I know you are just trolling again with that coaching comment, but I couldn't resist.

We got our ***** kicked on the road against the number 2 team in the nation. It happens.

I think we just need to all remember that, yes, we are young.

But the main thing? We are not Michigan basketball.

You know what stings? The fact that Michigan is back in both football and basketball. I miss the RichRod and Tommy Amaker days. :(

You know what stings? The fact that Michigan is back in both football and basketball. I miss the RichRod and Tommy Amaker days. :(

What are you talking about? It's great that they are back! So when we suck we can just blame it on our conference schedule and brag about how good our conference is. That's what this is all about, anyway.

Since everyone wants to keep harping their angst, guess I'll have to keep repeating the rational rebuttal. (Apologies for quoting you, Ghost. I know you've got perspective on this but your comment references what I'm addressing.)

Some other notable losses over the years:
03-04 (16-13 team with Brunner, Horner, Pierce, Boyd, Reiner, Worley)
-- 89-72 home vs. MSU
-- 78-59 home vs. Illannoy
-- 76-56 at Mizzou

05-06 (25-9 team, #3 NCAA seed with Brunner, Horner, Haluska, Thomas, Hendersen, Hansen, Freeman)
-- 85-55 at MSU
-- 74-61 at Minny
-- 66-52 at Wisc
(not to mention losing at NwU and 1st round tourney to Northwestern State)

06-07 (17-14 team with Haluska, Tyler Smith, Freeman, Hendersen, Cy Tate)
-- 89-60 vs Nova in Virgin Islands
-- 75-59 at Drake
-- 81-49 at MSU (late season)
-- 74-55 vs Purdue (1st round b1g tourney)

As pointed out yesterday, this is not some aberration for Iowa basketball; these types of losses have occurred nearly every year, by teams of comparable, if not more, talent and experience than this year's team. Not to mention, against arguably inferior competition than this year's b1g (and certainly this year's Michigan).

Nut-punch reality check. Young, inexperienced, relatively talented team gets waxed by legit national title contender on the road because they abandoned / were forced out of what was working (inside attack went to chucking outside shots). As is likely to happen to young teams that are athletically overmatched, on the road, they fell apart on both ends of the floor. I have to give credit to PalmettoHawkFan's poignant, concise truth in the game thread, yesterday:
"the quality on this team lacks maturity, the maturity lacks quality" It's that simple.

Now, if something like this happens at home, or at Purdue, Wisconsin or any other "peer" team, then vent and wring your hands. Otherwise, accept the reasonable outcome between a NCAA title contender and a marginal bubble team and move on. (They still have to go to Minny and Indiana and it's going to be just as bad.)

It's still nearly chalk to get to 9-9 in conf.

This. Great points. Crisler has never treated us well so I was expecting a beat down yesterday. Granted, I was pleasantly surprised when I tuned in halfway through the first half and we were up by 3 I believe. I thought, then, we may have a shot, but then we all saw the wheels fall off with three minutes to go in the half and that was that. Michigan will be a Final Four team and they have a legit shot at winning it all - nothing to be too disappointed about yesterday. It happens. Move on.

there could be many more beatdowns on the schedule. better hit the reset button on the expectations, folks. i still think we have a couple upsets in us, but probably will get upset too.

Plenty of tournament teams get beatdowns by the best teams in the country. Plenty of tournament teams lose to bad teams occasionally. The key is to beat a couple of good teams and limit the upsets to 1 or 2 and we'll be fine.

What are you talking about? It's great that they are back! So when we suck we can just blame it on our conference schedule and brag about how good our conference is. That's what this is all about, anyway.

That is some cyclone thinking, you got going there.:cool:

With that amount of talent on the Michigan's team they should have one big. We will never get that kind of talent at Iowa. I'd like to think we could but it is what it is.

Nice try, but we only lost by 28. Same as Northwestern, so I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that we are at least roughly as good as Northwestern (without their two best players) again.

You conveniently ignore the fact that Michigan bounced the Mildcats around on their own home floor.

You conveniently ignore the fact that Michigan bounced the Mildcats around on their own home floor.

As we've seen so repeatedly over the last few months, OK4P's basketball trolling is nowhere near his football trolling. It can be painful to watch at times.

Latest posts