Hawkeye Hoops Reminder

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I was reading a Mike Hlas blog this AM and was once again reminded of this reality as it relates to the 2012-2013 Iowa Hoops team:

They start three freshmen. Two guards (including PG) and a center. They also start a sophomore who has 29 starts to his credit for his career.

Despite a 1-14 shooting performance by their best player, they had multiple chances to beat the 5th ranked team in the nation last week at home. They also went on the road at the #2 ranked team in the nation and got blown out, despite holding their own for the first 17 minutes of the game.

This Iowa team does have flaws and those flaws are well known and a good chunk of those flaws have to do with inexperience.

I didn't think they'd be able to overcome that inexperience this year and turn it into an NCAA appearance. I still don't. Combine that with the fact that this team will struggle from three and road games are going to be all the more challenging than normal.

I picked them 11-2 in the non-con and to start 0-2 in the Big Ten. So far, that's what has happened. If anything I have been more impressed with Woodbury than I expected, Gesell is probably on par with what I expected and Clemmons is ahead of what I expected. I thought Aaron White would be farther along offensively this year than last year, but I haven't seen that yet and it may take another off season for him to develop the half court offensive skills he needs to become a complete player; now his points seem to just come in transition, offensive put backs and the free throw line. He is still giving Iowa a lot of production, don't get me wrong, but I think he can become more of a force offensively. Marble's next plateau is consistency, which may not come this year.

So this team has some warts and it also plays in the best conference in the nation. If this team were one of a handful of the Alford era teams as far as the rest of the league is concerned, they'd make the NCAA's. The Big Ten from around 2001 to 2007 or 2008 just wasn't very good an the worst it has been in my lifetime. That is not the case now.

Iowa got blown out in the gym of the #2 team in the nation. An Iowa team that starts three freshmen and a soph who doesn't yet have the equivalent of one full season's worth of starts under his belt. Those are things to keep in mind when trying to 'reconcile' yesterday's loss.

The 2 games this week are very big for this team. An 0-4 start could be the start of a tailspin.

Hopefully, MSU isnt allowed to bully us around like they have in the past and the Hawks can hit some shots.

I have no idea what to expect in Evanston but I would like to think that is a very winnable game.

Great points Jon. However, you said in your weekly power rankings that this league will get 7 into the dance. Surely you don’t think Wisconsin will survive their schedule? Iowa also holds the better non-conf resume IMO.

As Spank has reminded me on twitter. Michigan starts two frosh and a soph. I get that, they are actually the least experienced team in the Big Ten (then Iowa) and one of the least experienced in the nation.

But when you are settled at PG, that covers a lot of ills. Burke may be the best PG in the nation...his averages right now put him in the same category as Magic Johnson, who was the last Big Ten player to average over 17ppg and 7 assists per game. (no, he is not Magic). When you have a PG like that, everything on your team is better. Then you have Hardaway, who like Burke looked hard at the NBA last year...and bring in a player like Glen Robinson, one of the best recruits in the nation to go along with that backcourt....and have a outside shooter like the kid from Canada...who gets more open looks because of the driving skills Burke and Hardaway have....totally different dynamics.

Iowa has one player who can create his own shot in Marble, and even he struggles with that as he does not have that first step or explosiveness than Burke and Hardaway have.

I don't know if White is ever going to be the "complete" offensive player in the half court. I'm not sure his "jumper" can be fixed.

Great points Jon. However, you said in your weekly power rankings that this league will get 7 into the dance. Surely you don’t think Wisconsin will survive their schedule? Iowa also holds the better non-conf resume IMO.

I think it will in the end but I may be wrong on that. If the Top Six feed off the bottom six, then it won't

I don't know if White is ever going to be the "complete" offensive player in the half court. I'm not sure his "jumper" can be fixed.

He's only one and a half years in...way too early for me to agree with this. We've seen other players do it. Bowen was nowhere in White's league as a frosh/soph and he came on.

He's only one and a half years in...way too early for me to agree with this. We've seen other players do it. Bowen was nowhere in White's league as a frosh/soph and he came on.

True, and if I remember they kind of had/have the same shooting form? Only works when it's wide open though as there isn't much lift and it starts from a low point. Also the staggered feet.

Almost like a girl's shot for lack of a better comparison.

I don't think people are disappointed Iowa got beat by Michigan. I think people are disappointed Iowa got beat by 30 against Michigan.

As Spank has reminded me on twitter. Michigan starts two frosh and a soph. I get that, they are actually the least experienced team in the Big Ten (then Iowa) and one of the least experienced in the nation.

But when you are settled at PG, that covers a lot of ills. Burke may be the best PG in the nation...his averages right now put him in the same category as Magic Johnson, who was the last Big Ten player to average over 17ppg and 7 assists per game. (no, he is not Magic). When you have a PG like that, everything on your team is better. Then you have Hardaway, who like Burke looked hard at the NBA last year...and bring in a player like Glen Robinson, one of the best recruits in the nation to go along with that backcourt....and have a outside shooter like the kid from Canada...who gets more open looks because of the driving skills Burke and Hardaway have....totally different dynamics.

Iowa has one player who can create his own shot in Marble, and even he struggles with that as he does not have that first step or explosiveness than Burke and Hardaway have.

And you didnt even mention McGary, who I believe was higher ranked coming out of high school than Robinson Jr.

Michigan is loaded.

I don't think people are disappointed Iowa got beat by Michigan. I think people are disappointed Iowa got beat by 30 against Michigan.

Meh, A lot of people were expecting a blowout.

Would they feel better if the Hawks were down 30 and then trimmed the deficit to 18 by the end of the game? Probably not.

The game was ugly, there is no way to deny that. The key is to not let Sunday's game beat you more than once.

I tweeted this Saturday night at 9:34p: 'can't wait for rest of Iowa hoops season to start later nxt week. Not looking 4ward to tomorrow. Think a beat down is coming. Hope I'm wrong'

Perhaps post game reactions are all about pregame expectations ;) Having done over 100 post game call in shows for Iowa football and been around the message boards for 14 years, I know that is 100% true.

Iowa is still a year away from being "back." It was very disheartening to watch the wheels fall off Sunday and listen to the B1G Network announcers ooh and ah over everything Michigan did. Especially as they, figuratively, pillaged our second teamers. (thanks for not raping them)
Most reasonable people knew this was most likely a loss before it started. As ghost stated, the final margin stung more than the loss itself.
Iowa will be OK. Iowa will not make the NCAA. Iowa will make an NIT run. Iowa will be "back" next season.

Last edited:
While Michigan is 'young', they're as loaded with talent as any Big Ten team has been in a while. They finished 13th in the nation last year, Hardaway and Burke came back and they brought in a Top 10 ranked recruiting class...and when you bring in young studs and have your PG situation settled, it's a HUGE difference. College basketball is a guard's game, period.

As ghost stated, it final margin stung more than the loss itself.

I don't know a time where seeing your favorite team get smoked like that hasn't ever stung. But this isn't college football. Basketball can be much more fickle than that. If you have some talent, you can bounce back in a night, in a different venue (at home) and look altogether different.

I know this has the "frosh/soph" disclaimer on it but this couldn't be more wrong. White is nowhere near (and won't be) as good a player as Bowen.

Why? If it wasn't in some people's minds that this could happen, you don't know how good Mich is. They will do that to a few teams this B1G season. Last year we got blown out at Mich St, almost same score, and we rallied to beat Mich the next game. No reason to get down on this team.

This game came down to defense and talent. I believe Iowa can play better defense than that, but Michigan is so, so talented. Both teams had 62 field goal attempts. Iowa made seven trey's which is good for them. Iowa had a season low seven turnovers in the game (but Michigan scored 15 points off those and Iowa scored 2 on Michigan's 6 turnovers)...and lost by 28. 0 to 16 in transition scoring. It was a bad day, but Michigan had a lot to do with that.

Latest posts