Hawkeye FB National Championship or Cubs winning the World Series?

C - Jody Davis
1B - Durham
2B - Sandberg
SS - Bowa
3B Cey
LF - Sarge Matthews
CF - Dernier
RF - Moreland

SP - Sutcliffe
RP - Smith

I can go all day with Cubs trivia - I am sure you can too - I literally know all the everyday rosters since that Magical 84 season - I was 5, but I still remember my Grandpa telling me the Cubs were finally going to the World Series after they got up 2 games on the Padres before friggin Garvey and that ground ball through Durham's legs destroyed the dream.

SP - Sutcliffe
Eckersley
Sanderson
Trout
Ruthven

RP - Stoddard
Smith

Can't remember any of the other middle relievers besides Stoddard. Don't know how this new ownership is going to work out, but I feel the Cubs are one of about 7 or 8 teams that can win a World Series. For the Hawks to win a NC in football it would have to take a perfect storm to win and I don't know if that will be plausibe/realistic.

I think you are correct in saying the Hawks winning the NC is once in a lifetime, but the Cubs winning the WS is a once in 2-3 lifetime occurence...so I would like to see the Cubs win more...

Both of these events are probably once in a lifetime occurences, so which would you rather see.

I know that non-Cub fans will take the Hawk NC in a no-brainer, but I know that there are enough Cub fans on this board to make this topic interesting.

Which occurence would mean more to the hearts of the true Cub and Hawk fans.

If I had to choose, I would take the World Series for the Cubs.

I have enough confidence that Iowa FB is going to be very good for the forseeable future, but I have suffered through some terrible Cubs teams, so I think the World Series title for the lovable losers would carry more weight for me.
Correction. The Cubs used to be the Cubbies, cuddly lovable losers--at least on the field, not so much the small cluster of pathetic fans in virtually empty Wrigley Field; now they are still losers with noting endearing about them, while the fans have gone from being pathetic to obnoxious. Indeed, the only thing major league quality about the Cubs & fans is that they are the textbook definition of losers.

If you are early 50s or younger, the Hawkeyes have been voted #1 in the polls (1958) in your lifetime; and it is a good bet that they will be again. maybe more than once if you are still terribly young. But unless you plan on living another 100 years, don't have any illusions about a Cub pennant before they close the casket the last time.

QUICK! Without looking it up, give me the everyday starting lineup for YOUR 1984 Chicago Cubs NL East Champions! :p
Let's see, that is right after the Cubs brought over their General Manager Dallas Green, Manager, Lee Elia, Gary Matthews, Larry Bowa, John Vukovich, Ryne Sandberg, Keith Moreland, Dick Ruthven, Bobby Dernier and all the other guys from the Philadelphia Phillies. I'm guessing that the rest of the line-up had been minor leaguers in the Phillies farm system?

Last edited:
I'd love to see the Cubs win the world series but it would take the whole mystique of them being the lovable loosers.
If Shonn Greene would have hung around for another year there is no doubt in my mind we would have played for the National Championship. So that's not as rare.

As a die-hard White Sox fan who got to experience the ultimate thrill here in Chicago in 05, it was really like a dream come true.....but,sorry, Hawks winning the NC in football or bb would top it...by about a mile. But for chicago native white sox fans...it was pure nirvana. One sweet thing about going 11-1 in the baseball playoffs, was getting 11 postgame celebrations ...very cool,and fun,with only one bad nite.

Latest posts