Hawkeye Fans: Come Together

OSU has a lot more talent on offense than UM or Northwestern. Careful what u wish for Jon. Going up tempo doesn't mean throwing every down.....

Then perhaps you should remove both of your comments about facebook posters likely being some Chicago suburb kid who happens to be an Iowa fan. I started off as one 20 years ago and, like most of them, have been a diehard since. If you're trying to make the point that these are bandwagon fans, simply use that term instead and it would save a lot of insult.

You don't typically see the fans who grew up loving the Hawks making statements like the one Tyler received.

It's still probably an exaggeration, but Jon's logic is comparable to the old "Not all rectangles (Chicago suburb kids) are squares (bandwagoners like the idiot on FB), but all squares are rectangles" line.

OSU has a lot more talent on offense than UM or Northwestern. Careful what u wish for Jon. Going up tempo doesn't mean throwing every down.....

They have more talent, but they aren't nearly as adept at running that kind of offense. It's not necessarily the uptempo offense, either. OSU can go as fast as they want, but if they can't string first downs together the way that NW did, it's not going to matter THAT much.

Then perhaps you should remove both of your comments about facebook posters likely being some Chicago suburb kid who happens to be an Iowa fan. I started off as one 20 years ago and, like most of them, have been a diehard since. If you're trying to make the point that these are bandwagon fans, simply use that term instead and it would save a lot of insult.

No I am speaking to a specific kind of person. Ppl that just care more for the hawk party than being a good fan. U seem like the latter and are taking offense at something not directed at u. The context in which I wrote this, or what I had in mind, had nothing to do with geography and everything to do with front running.

Last edited:
Great post Jon. It could be much worse. We could be having a season like Texas is. Their stadium had tons of empty seats on Saturday with Okie State in town. The fans were even chanting to fire Greg Davis at one point. Despite the letdowns and missed opportunities this season I know that Kinnick will be packed this weekend and hope the fans are as loud, raucous, and supportive as I know they can be. Was I pi**ed this weekend when they lost. Yes. Did I get over it? Yes. Will I be yelling and screaming at the TV as if I were in Kinnick this weekend? Dam right I will. It's unfortunate in this day of easy access to everybody that the one percenters of the world can post things directly to the players out there. Before the internet and social networking it was rare that the one percenters could actually say things like that to somebody like Tyler. If they did happen to get that close they were more than likely too scared, or too ashamed to actually say it to their face. It's easy to be an internet tough guy, but harder to support the team through good times and bad.

Go Hawks!

Tyler Sash received a message from an ‘Iowa fan’ on facebook that ripped into him and the team. My guess is that it’s from some kid from some Chicago suburb who became a ‘fan’ in the last few years because he started going to Iowa and is upset that he won’t be getting his drunk on in New Orleans or Pasadena this year.

Great post - I know this guy. He's a guy who grew up a Michigan fan, then changed to Michigan football and Illinois basketball and bought a Blackhawks jersey a few months ago even though he's never been to a game. He was sure he was going to NU or Illinois, but then the little formality of the ACT came back and suddenly he became an Iowa football, Illinois basketball fan. Oh and he wears his Cubs hat backwards and tells everyone he is from Chicago, even though he is from Morris. That guy is approximately 22% of the undergrad population at the University of Iowa.

Excellent post Jon!

Thinking about the game and the season late Sat afternoon through my self induced "fog", I felt the Hawkeyes still had a lot to play for. Win the last two regular season games and the bowl game and finish 10-3, a very solid season.

I think back to the 2008 season when we were 5-3 going into the PSU game. The Hawks lost to Illinois the prior week and everybody was down and the #3 team in the country was coming to town. Lose to PSU, a 5-4 record and who knows what happens the next 2weeks against Purdue and MN.

Suffice it to say Iowa beats PSU and finishes the season with 4 consecutive wins.
I think we can win out the season and I will be at Kinnick giving it my all.

As Jon said, "Cherish the moment"

Excellent post Jon!

Thinking about the game and the season late Sat afternoon through my self induced "fog", I felt the Hawkeyes still had a lot to play for. Win the last two regular season games and the bowl game and finish 10-3, a very solid season.

I think back to the 2008 season when we were 5-3 going into the PSU game. The Hawks lost to Illinois the prior week and everybody was down and the #3 team in the country was coming to town. Lose to PSU, a 5-4 record and who knows what happens the next 2weeks against Purdue and MN.

Suffice it to say Iowa beats PSU and finishes the season with 4 consecutive wins.
I think we can win out the season and I will be at Kinnick giving it my all.

As Jon said, "Cherish the moment"

Actually, it was 5-4 (lost to Pitt, Northwestern, and Michigan State before playing Illinois). Still, the sentiment of your post applies.

lepoarwtbct1.jpg

Here come old flattop he come grooving up slowly
He got joo-joo eyeball he one holy roller
He got hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker he just do what he please

He wear no shoeshine he got toe-jam football
He got monkey finger he shoot coca-cola
He say "I know you, you know me"
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free
Come together right now over me

He bag production he got walrus gumboot
He got Ono sideboard he one spinal cracker
He got feet down below his knee
Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease

He roller-coaster he got early warning
He got muddy water he one mojo filter
He say "One and one and one is three"
Got to be good-looking 'cause he's so hard to see

Great post - I know this guy. He's a guy who grew up a Michigan fan, then changed to Michigan football and Illinois basketball and bought a Blackhawks jersey a few months ago even though he's never been to a game. He was sure he was going to NU or Illinois, but then the little formality of the ACT came back and suddenly he became an Iowa football, Illinois basketball fan. Oh and he wears his Cubs hat backwards and tells everyone he is from Chicago, even though he is from Morris. That guy is approximately 22% of the undergrad population at the University of Iowa.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you lost a bet to put that NW helmet pic and sig up, but this is coming from the guy who posted about how NW gives you more "bang for your buck" than Iowa, blah blah after we lost to them. You're not too far off from your "friend" above.

I understand why someone would take offense to the above post or Jon's line about the kid "probably from the chicago suburbs". While he claims it wasn't directed at fans like myself, (I'm from the chicago suburbs and never followed the hawks prior to college) you're perpetuating a stereotype and it does affect true hawkeye fans like myself who get scoffed at just because we happen to live in illinois.

I've made the drive from chicago to 3/6 home games + the NW game and I will be there again on saturday to see these guys play in Kinnick for the last time. I love this team and there are many others out there like me. You should be thankful to have such a pull in another state because we are just as responsible for the state of the fanbase as anyone else.

The point could have easily been made by calling out bandwagon fans, not badmouthing fans from a certain region. The post is titled "Come Together".

GO HAWKS!! Make me proud this saturday!!!

Come Together | Hawkeye Nation

The loss on Saturday was a bitter pill to swallow. Iowa message boards on this site and everywhere I’ve been on the web have been pretty negative since the Cats topped the Hawks this week. I get that.

What I don’t get are alleged Iowa fans posting messages to player facebook pages, ripping into them for losing.

As if the players don’t feel bad about it.

After the Wisconsin loss, Jared Clauss said in this space to take the pain your are feeling as a fan and multiply it by ten, and you might start to feel how bad the players take a loss.

Yes, we have years and in some instances decades invested as being fans of the Iowa Hawkeyes and I don’t want to belittle that. For some, it’s a considerable financial investment. But the players are invested with their day to day lives for the most part, while they are in college. This is their life and they are broken after losses. There is no skipping class, there is no calling in sick to work for them. They have to go right back to practice and play a game that exacts a physical toll.

Tyler Sash received a message from an ‘Iowa fan’ on facebook that ripped into him and the team. My guess is that it’s from some kid from some Chicago suburb who became a ‘fan’ in the last few years because he started going to Iowa and is upset that he won’t be getting his drunk on in New Orleans or Pasadena this year.

Stuff like this embarrassing for the vast majority of Iowa fans that would never stoop to such a thing.

These players deserve better than that. They deserve the support of the fans. That’s not to say the fans wont be upset or irritated when they lose games and I realize this year is going to leave the mark that goes along with unmet expectations.

But to ignore all the amazing moments these guys have delivered in recent years would be more than just a shame.

It’s Senior Day on Saturday in Kinnick. It’s the last time many of these players will play before their home fans. It’s a very special day, and this team needs the support of the Iowa fans now more than ever.

The Recruiting Class of 2006 has seen quite a bit in their years on campus. Many of them, as true freshmen sitting out with a redshirt, went through Iowa’s first losing season since 2000. Then as redshirt freshmen, they went through the 2007 season, one that ended with an embarrassing loss to Western Michigan at home. They saw the tears streaming down Albert Young’s face on that senior day, they saw the pain.

Then as sophomores, many of them were standing in the gap, helping to turn the tide for the program. Rick Stanzi emerged as the quarterback. Adrian Clayborn and Christian Ballard started as defensive ends on one of the most statistically dominant defenses in Iowa football history. Brett Morse emerged as a devastating blocker from his fullback position. DJK emerged as a playmaker. Jeremiha Hunter would be a three year starter at linebacker. More players would emerge; Julian Vandervelde, Ryan Donahue, Paul Chaney, Jeff Tarpinian, Karl Klug, Troy Johnson.

These players put in the work to turn the program around while fellow classmates Arvell Nelson, Dominique Douglas and Anthony Bowman were bringing embarrassment off the field.

This class has done a lot. They have delivered a lot to the fans.

Rick Stanzi is the second winningest quarterback in Iowa history. He has led amazing fourth quarter rallies and engineered some game winning drives that will never be forgotten. Penn State in 2008, Michigan State and Indiana in 2009. Clayborn has done the same on his side of the ball. DJK is the most decorated receiver in school history. Ballard and Klug have been outstanding defensive linemen while Donahue has been arguably the best punter since Reggie Roby.

Allen Reisner is a semi-finalist for the Mackey Award, Vandervelde has started on the offensive line over the span of three seasons. Brett Greenwood has started in four seasons for Iowa at free safety, while Troy Johnson has been a jack of all trades. Kirk Ferentz called Jeff Tarpinian the ‘best guy that has never played here’ due to his injuries. Colin Sandeman has made key catches, including a touchdown grab in the Orange Bowl and has been a steady punt return player. Paul Chaney has also overcome key injuries in his career to contribute.

These players have been key ingredients for Iowa teams that won 22 of their last 27 games, including two January bowl games. With one more win this year they have had the third most successful three year run in school history. If they win two of their last three, it will be the second most successful three year run in school history behind the 31 wins between 2002-2004 and the 29 wins between 1985-1987.

That sort of production is excellent and it’s never been routine at Iowa. This group has accomplished much, even though this season has not gone according to their plan.

This weekend, Ohio State comes to town. These seniors, this entire team, needs the Iowa fan base to rally behind them and show them the legendary support Hawkeye teams have come to expect. There is a time for critical opinions, then there’s a time to set those aside and show your true colors.
Believe it or not, as the gnashing of teeth has been the dominant force on the message boards and talk radio shows since Saturday, this Iowa team has a chance to finish with a record of 10-3.

There have been just seven teams in Iowa football history that have won at least ten games. Seven. This team can still have a great finish and a great season through the eyes of history, even if it didn’t accomplish what it wanted to before the season began.

I know they won’t be able to do that without their 12th man at it’s absolute best on Saturday in Kinnick Stadium. Do your part, Hawkeye fan, to let this team know how much you have appreciated the amazing run they have taken us on the last two and a half years.

In football, just like life, things don’t always go according to plan. But the Iowa fans have been dependable for so long…bring it again this weekend.
Because you will see this for the last time for another year. Don’t take this stuff for granted.

YouTube - The Swarm: 2010 Iowa-ISU Intro

youtube

youtube

youtube

youtube

Jon would agree kids are off limits and Iowa fans will come together as we always do!!

The only thing I did not like about post was shot at Chicago. I have lived in the city my entire life and father and I are both graduates of Iowa and I have attended every game home and away since 96. My first Iowa game was 77. I have never lived in the state of Iowa one day, but love the University with all my heart. Iowa fans will be great as they always are every Saturday and 99.9% of fans know how hard these young men work each year. Only one bad apple but does he have to be from Chicago could he not be from Cedar Rapids?

Good job,Jon. Those of us who bleed black and gold,did a lot of bleeding over the weekend,but it does not change the color of our blood or our love for the Hawks.
Anyone railing on these unpaid student-athletes needs to check themselves.

As for the OSU game, I think this will be yet another barn-burner like last year...but I have Iowa winning this time 27-24. The deal with tempo is that NW lives and breathes that short passing game,and have the perfect components to do it, while OSU does not have the trigger-man for that kind of attack. Now, Pryor might take off and run further than Persa,but he will not be nearly 100% accurate on those short passes. Pryor is a dangerous,great player,but we match up better with him than Persa. If OSU tries to become NW....Pryor will not match Persa. If OSU sticks to their normal game, ie. run the ball, they probably be tough,but Iowa can match up with that also.

Iowa can run the table,get a share of the Big Ten title,and win a NYears day bowl....and end up with 10 wins....life is pretty good,Hawk fans.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you lost a bet to put that NW helmet pic and sig up, but this is coming from the guy who posted about how NW gives you more "bang for your buck" than Iowa, blah blah after we lost to them. You're not too far off from your "friend" above.

I understand why someone would take offense to the above post or Jon's line about the kid "probably from the chicago suburbs". While he claims it wasn't directed at fans like myself, (I'm from the chicago suburbs and never followed the hawks prior to college) you're perpetuating a stereotype and it does affect true hawkeye fans like myself who get scoffed at just because we happen to live in illinois.

I've made the drive from chicago to 3/6 home games + the NW game and I will be there again on saturday to see these guys play in Kinnick for the last time. I love this team and there are many others out there like me. You should be thankful to have such a pull in another state because we are just as responsible for the state of the fanbase as anyone else.

The point could have easily been made by calling out bandwagon fans, not badmouthing fans from a certain region. The post is titled "Come Together".

GO HAWKS!! Make me proud this saturday!!!

Trust me, OK4P is just taking his satirical schtick in a different direction. If you bear that in mind at all times, it really is quite humorous.

Best post... ever?

Oh you made the drive, huh? Well pal, I rode the freaking MegaBus full of proles to 3 out of the 6 home games, and went to Michigan and went to Evanston. And I flew Soutwest with the proles over to Omaha to pick up an RV and slept in a freaking Wal-Mart parking lot to get to a game. Until you ride the MegaBus in the sweltering heat of September and are stuck smelling BO for hours or mingle amongst the unwashed poors on a Southwest flight, don't lecture me about being thankful for having fans in another state because I'm one of those guys busting his tail to get to the games by any means necessary. I've crapped in porta potties and walked around for hours with mudbutt for the Hawkeyes. I've drank Swiller Lite at tailgates for this team. I've gotten frisked by the cops for no reason other than I was peeing in the woods for this team. Keep your lectures to yourself pal.

It's not a shot at Chicago Hawkeye fans.

It's about people that all of the sudden become an Iowa fan because that's where the tuition check gets sent, and have no history or background to understand just how good things have been with this group, and are into Iowa football just for the party of it. You dont have to be from Iowa to be a Hawkeye fan. You don't have to go to Iowa to be a Hawkeye fan. And people from Chicago suburbs, or other places, go to Iowa and become fans and are great additions to the family.

But a true Hawkeye fan, at least as I have come to know them, doesn't do nickel and dime crap like that.

It is a shot at Chicago fans - or students for not being fans as long as you have been and it ruined an otherwise great post.

It is a shot at Chicago fans - or students for not being fans as long as you have been and it ruined an otherwise great post.

I took as more directed at the kids that come from Chicago that are at Iowa for the partying, and little else. There are students talking about TRANSFERRING because of the f*cking 21-ordinance. The vast majority of those that I've heard talking like that are from the Chicago area. That doesn't make ALL of those Chicago area students poor fans. But it's the ones that do have the above mentality that are most prone to sending a message like that, because they don't really give a rip about the Hawks.

I think they will play better. Right now, if I had to make a pick, I'd probably say Ohio State. But, by no means am I ruling out Iowa playing their best game of the season. This is not an elite Ohio State team. And I think their offense is easier to stop than Northwestern's, related to how Iowa plays defense. I really would rather face Pryor than Persa, based on the schemes they run.

Agree, although I might even pick the Hawks in a "statement" game this weekend. Persa, I believe is quicker and more elusive than Pryor. Pryor, on the hand, would be more of a threat with his speed once he breaks into open field. Pretty hard to believe Pryor will throw the ball as well as Persa did last Sat. as well.

I also don't think it is that far fetched to think WI might have a tough time at MI and MSU the same at PSU. Never underestimate the home field advantage in college ball.

.....hang'n in there.

Latest posts