Hawkeye Fans: Come Together

Nice post, Jon. But I'm sorry, b/c I'm not ready to make nice. Some of us discussed tweaking some schemes last wk and we were dismissed and brushed aside. Then people make excuse...after excuse...after excuse for Sat.'s performance, particularly regarding the same tweaks some of us discussed last wk. Make no mistake - attacking the players (as in the TMFS Facebook situation) is completely unacceptable, but I've lost my confidence in the coaches and regardless of this Sat.'s performance, I think it's going to take some time for me to be ok w/ the IU and NW performances. I'm sure I'm in the minority feeling this way, and I'm sure by Sat. my mojo for the Hawks will be high as ever. I hope by Sat. I'll have confidence in the Captain and his crew again...but right now I just can't shake Sat. It sucks feeling this way and not having confidence in the coaching staff, but I just cannot get over Sat. Not yet. Maybe tomorrow, maybe Wed. or Thurs., but Sat. is just too fresh. I appreciate your efforts though (and I'm glad I'm not from the Chicago 'burbs!)

Who got my hopes up for a national championship? For the Rose Bowl? Jon, you actively stoked those fires.

How can I not dismiss you as a expert? How can I not acknowledge you as anything more than a Hawkeye cheerleader?

I'll be coming to Saturday's game will gladness and sadness.
Glad that I was able to see some great play from our seniors.
Sad that I may never see that level of excellence again.

Last edited:
Nice article Jon...but it doesn't change the fact that it's not going to be pretty Saturday...I'll be there cheering but it won't matter.

Harrassing the players in any form is wrong. Argueing with other fans is one thing but sending messages via facebook to the players isn't going to make the team better.

Come together? Coming from a guy that just called out a part of the fanbase. Jon will talk talk down to the "regular fan" because he thinks he is a better Hawkeye fan than them. He does it on Soundoff, did it on his morning radio show and does it on here.

Who got my hopes up for a national championship? For the Rose Bowl? Jon, you actively stoked those fires.

How can I not dismiss you as a expert? How can I not acknowledge you as anything more than a Hawkeye cheerleader?

I'll be coming to Saturday's game will gladness and sadness.
Glad that I was able to see some great play from our seniors.
Sad that I may never see that level of excellence again.

You can think of me what you will. If you think of me as someone who gets everything right, that's on you

Come together? Coming from a guy that just called out a part of the fanbase. Jon will talk talk down to the "regular fan" because he thinks he is a better Hawkeye fan than them. He does it on Soundoff, did it on his morning radio show and does it on here.

I won't sit back and let folks sling what I consider to be outlandish stuff without debating. You are correct there. There has been someone in my sound off chair before that did that. That's not going to be me.

And I will always call out a part of the fan base that is so weak as to rip into players like the guy did to Sash. Guilty.

I don't consider myself a better fan than anyone, other than folks like that.

I won't sit back and let folks sling what I consider to be outlandish stuff without debating. You are correct there. There has been someone in my sound off chair before that did that. That's not going to be me.

And I will always call out a part of the fan base that is so weak as to rip into players like the guy did to Sash. Guilty.

I agree 100% that the type of garbage that gets spewed at the players through their facebook pages, email or via twitter is crap. I dont consider people that do that a part of the fanbase.

Other than that, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Social media problems have come up all year. Maybe the players should be protected from that threat/temptation by just not having it available. That's a huge sacrifice for a young person today but it may come to that. I can see why Ferentz hates social media. There's no controlling what the players are doing, seeing or exposed to. No one can live in a bubble but why should every crazy outraged "fan" have access to the players hip pockets. I don't think there's any way to prevent this these days other than to impose a team embargo on social media.

It's amazing that the only people that don't think this game will be close are some Hawkeye fans. OSU fans, Vegas, and OSU players and coaches are all expecting a close hard fought game.

Disappointed as anyone, Saturday, but my brother-in-law (a Penn State fan) put an interesting spin on things last night. Over the course of the last two years this team has
been involved in EASILY half of the Big Ten's 10 best games. For that matter, the nations best games. Hell, the Wisconsin game October23 was given a 98 out of a 100 by Thuuz (Sports Illustrated, November 1) as the best game played this year. I expect nothing less than adding this weeks game to that list. So stepping out of the glass house, it's gratifying to see we are one of the most exciting teams in the nation to watch. I take that as an extreme compliment.

damn you jon, i didn't plan to get emotional today! i was planning on saving it for saturday when i see our seniors get introduced before the game. saturday, for me, will be an emotional roller coaster. starting off with some sadness as i realize this is the last time i will see quite a few of my favorite hawks walk into kinnick stadium wearing a hawkeye jersey. then total jubilation as i watch the hawks dismantle the buckeyes. then some more sadness as i watch our hawks walk off the field victorious, watch the highlight video, and exit kinnick stadium for the last time this season.

speaking of senior day and being proud to be a hawkeye fan, i've never been as proud to be a hawkeye fan as i was last season on senior day. now, the most fun i've had at kinnick to date was this season's wisconsin game right up until the final gun sounded. the stadium ROCKED and it was truly an amazing experience. but the most proud i've been was last season when terry strauss(see what i did there?) was announced for senior day and had probably the loudest ovation of anyone. i remember saying to my brother that i'm nervous the fans will boo for his performance the week prior at ohio state. but the true hawk fans shined and gave him a wonderful ovation. i actually had a tear fall from my eye at that moment and had goosebumps.

this team has given us so much to be proud of the last couple years. they have left it all on the field and i'm damn proud of them for that. yeah this season didn't go the way we all hoped, but spit happens. i will still be there saturday screaming my head off.

see you saturday and GO HAWKS

Is this all about the kid who responded to Tyler's status...? The kid who has a picture of an Ohio St national championship ring on his facebook photo???

Is this all about the kid who responded to Tyler's status...? The kid who has a picture of an Ohio St national championship ring on his facebook photo???

There were one or two others when I searched for him right after I saw Tyler's post. They're all gone now, wonder why? lol

Hell, the Wisconsin game October23 was given a 98 out of a 100 by Thuuz (Sports Illustrated, November 1) as the best game played this year.

Man, here I was yelling constantly at Lester Erb for getting burned on the same fake punt run up the middle that a D-IAA school ran earlier in the year but I guess that without that play, maybe Iowa would have won the game by 6 on a boring time crushing final drive that would have lowered the oh so important Thuuz score to a meager 92 or so.

I'm going to start bringing that up to OSU fans when they are chirping about their program - "Yeah, well we played in a game that got a 98 Thuuz score." That'll shut them up.

Nice post, Jon. But I'm sorry, b/c I'm not ready to make nice. Some of us discussed tweaking some schemes last wk and we were dismissed and brushed aside. Then people make excuse...after excuse...after excuse for Sat.'s performance, particularly regarding the same tweaks some of us discussed last wk. Make no mistake - attacking the players (as in the TMFS Facebook situation) is completely unacceptable, but I've lost my confidence in the coaches and regardless of this Sat.'s performance, I think it's going to take some time for me to be ok w/ the IU and NW performances. I'm sure I'm in the minority feeling this way, and I'm sure by Sat. my mojo for the Hawks will be high as ever. I hope by Sat. I'll have confidence in the Captain and his crew again...but right now I just can't shake Sat. It sucks feeling this way and not having confidence in the coaching staff, but I just cannot get over Sat. Not yet. Maybe tomorrow, maybe Wed. or Thurs., but Sat. is just too fresh. I appreciate your efforts though (and I'm glad I'm not from the Chicago 'burbs!)

I'd have to agree with this. That loss hurt as bad as . . . Western Mich? Arizona State down in the desert? I can shake this one and I think it's especially hard because of the high expectations and talent of this team. Iowa is not a team that gets NC chances every year and so I feel like we missed a rare opportunity this year. It stings.

Man, here I was yelling constantly at Lester Erb for getting burned on the same fake punt run up the middle that a D-IAA school ran earlier in the year but I guess that without that play, maybe Iowa would have won the game by 6 on a boring time crushing final drive that would have lowered the oh so important Thuuz score to a meager 92 or so.

I'm going to start bringing that up to OSU fans when they are chirping about their program - "Yeah, well we played in a game that got a 98 Thuuz score." That'll shut them up.

My bad, prez. What a silly prole I am. It's Thuul, not Thuuz. It's pronounced with a silent 'h'. As in tool.