Hawkeye Equipment Question?

Hello,

Could anyone tell me what brand/style of helmet the Hawks actually wear? I would like to get an authentic helmet to display and I see the "Authentic" helmets from Shutt and also from Riddell. Thanks for any assistance. GO HAWKS!!!

I think most of the helmets that Iowa wears are Riddell, but some could be shutt. I believe it has more to do with what the kids might have had HS>

Interesting that they would use two different brands but the reasoning makes sense. I was thinking that the UI athletic department would be under some type of contractual agreement with a certain manufacturer but understandably the players need to be comfortable. Thanks for your response.

The more I have been looking at pictures online I am seeing the Riddell name on the straps of most of the up close pictures. Thank you all for you help with this.

I wanted an authentic helmet too but once I started looking I found out that it is against NCAA regulations to sell helmets w/o a device in them that prohibits you from wearing the helmet. So what I did was order a helmet straight from Riddell and then ordered the official decals off of Ebay and decaled the helmet by myself. It worked great and my helmet is awesome!! Can't tell I did the decals myself and I can wear it if I want.

SOSHAWK that is a great idea. I just took a look at those decals on eBay and they look very nice. I have seen several pictures maybe depending on the year where "Iowa" is on the front bumper and on others "Hawkeyes" is on the front bumper. I wonder why the change?

Yes I went with this year's model and the "IOWA" on the front and the "BIG TEN" on the back. I was really nervous to do this because Riddell does not have a good return policy but it turned out great!! Was as easy as I had hoped.

I went with the Riddell Revolution helmet, which is the new style that most players wear. If I recall correctly, the helmet was $175 plus tax and then like $20 to ship. I got the decals off of Ebay for $20.

Can you give me a link to the decals on E-Bay? I've been searching for them and haven't been able to find anything.

That is the guy I bought my decals from...the only difference is that my front bumper sticker says "IOWA" instead of "HAWKEYES".

What's better than getting the actual helmet. You can do that at the equipment sale this year.

Exactly. You can get the "real deal" at the Hawkeye equipment action when they sell off old helmets and get new ones. I have one from 2 years ago and they are Riddell.

two questions:
At the equiptment auction (which I probably won't be able to make unless it is online) what shape are the helmets in? all banged up from game us, or refurbished to look all new?

The helmets you buy online what type of device do they put in to stop you from wearing them? I cannot see anything in any of the pictures, but is it something I could remove?

two questions:
At the equiptment auction (which I probably won't be able to make unless it is online) what shape are the helmets in? all banged up from game us, or refurbished to look all new?

The helmets you buy online what type of device do they put in to stop you from wearing them? I cannot see anything in any of the pictures, but is it something I could remove?

They are game used so it all depends on which one you pick-up and how much field action it has seen.

Latest posts