Hawkeye Defense Absent Again in Loss at Nebraska

It’s so bad I actually get happy when the other team makes a contested shot because as at least tried on that one.

In order for it to be missing it would have actually had to have existed at some point in time...lol. This Iowa team may be the worst, with respect to the fundamentals of the game, basketball team in the state...high school or college. Aren't many teams look this poorly coached night in and night out.

D looked good against a plodding Badger team

Otherwise, our D is pathetic, in every aspect

Not enough time this season to correct

Seriously need an assistant who is expert coaching D, individually and teamwise

What are the chances of that

:cool:

I’ve tried the points per possession and the defensive rotation argument......I am gonna tap out the defense has been hot garbage the last year and a half.

You can bring in the best defensive coach in the history of basketball and it wouldn’t help. You need athleticism to slide your feet

Really? That’s what keeping JBO from moving his feet? Athleticism. Who would have thunk it.:)

Really? That’s what keeping JBO from moving his feet? Athleticism. Who would have thunk it.:)
Exactly. His height and athleticism hurts him on defense. The opposing guards in our league can score on him anytime they want

That was surreal, watching so many fans cheering during an Iowa game, and excited.

Badger side note: I placed a $$$ bet with a Badger fan who is disgruntled...I made a bet that their coach would return next year to start their season...he says, no way and put his $$$ on the firing.

Another side note: (perhaps distractions from Iowa's BB season) I collected on a bet from a Badger/Bucks fan. I placed a bet last May that Jason Kidd would be fired from the Bucks before the end of next season...Bucks fan insisted it would never happen...gave me 10-1 odds Kidd we would be there for a long time.

Yeah I don't agree that we played good defense Thursday. I think we finally got a match-up of a team that is at a lower point than we are. Injuries and no perimeter shooting killed Wisconsin, not a competent Iowa team.

Is can’t be a good thing when Tim Miles after the game goes all Tom Izzo saying, “Fran is improving that team,” can it?

Wisconsin is awful, which made our awful defense look decent. It's a combination of things. Slow players. Who's the fastest guy on the team? Moss, maybe? The effort he gives on defense is half assed at best.

If you watch guys on the help side when Iowa is in man, they are out of position, they often have their backs to the ball, in a fast break situation nobody knows who has who because there is no communication, and too often someone just abandons the ball handler for no apparent reason.

Zone is a little better in some ways, but worse in others. They are just so slow as a group, that no one can get to the corners to cover 3 pt shooters. When they try, they don't close out properly so they either give up an uncontested 3 or a baseline drive, which no one helps with because they don't understand where they should be until it's too late.

It's so aggravating to watch.

I think the defense in this game was equal to the defense against Wisconsin. Nebraska was shooting jump shots while we were making layups. Normally the team making the layups will win, but Nebraska made everything the whole game.

It sucks that we suck at defense. But at least we are trying now. Last night's effort is how we will win a few more games. Make the other team shoot jumpers and hope they miss. That's all we can do right now.

I don't know if it's that our defense has been so bad that I began looking for more contested jumpers while watching or what but I tend to agree with PC. They still gave up quite a few open shots but I noticed a lot more contested jumpers last night.

On a related note, I looked up the Kenpom defensive efficiency rankings to see where Iowa is at compared the the rest of the conference. As most could guess, it's not pretty.

Iowa is last in the Big Ten ranked 236th nationally while the next closest is Minnesota ranked 114th. That's a huge gap...

Fran has had some good defensive teams but these last two have struggled, this year being the worse of his tenure. Below is Iowa's defensive efficiency rank for each season under Fran.

2011 - 56th
2012 - 205th
2013 - 24th
2014 - 77th
2015 - 34th
2016 - 30th
2017 - 123rd
2018 - 236th* - 9 guaranteed games left to improve.

Nebraska shot out their asses last night. I'm not saying our defense was Virginia tough...but Nebraska hasn't shot like that all year...it can be contagious. The banked three was a killer when we had climbed back to within two. Give me a break. Nebraska is also 12-1 on that floor...so they play really well at home. There are times still though, where guys stop playing with energy on defense...we have a bench...leave it on the floor. We should still play much more aggressive on D.

Honestly, I'm encouraged by they way they played offensively. Nebraska is a pretty good defensive team, I think giving up 63 or something like that. We moved the ball and got great shots and dominated in the paint. That was fun offensive basketball to watch. And we kept going to Cook down low...over and over. That's been one of my complaints with this team...too impatient and they forget what's working. They didn't last night. Encouraging.

Latest posts