Hawkeye could lead team onto field

I've already said that.

Was it so wrong for me to ask if he actually was a Hawkeye fan since he named his dog Hawkeye?

Nothing.
We're just playing the odds right now.
If that changes, so be it. We can all choose a more fitting way to honor him...be that whatever it may.

I've posted more about this specific topic more than anything else.
Except the officiating in the 2006 Outback Bowl.

cnnsi's hotclicks section has gotten wind of this and posted it. if it starts getting national attention about Hawkeye running accross the field then someone should make it happen. assuming the family is ok with it.

what are the odds this guy ends up being on the heroes trophy someday

NEIN! It shall be a family discussing how to fund college for their 3 kids after a light snack of cheese and popcorn while reading in the living room.

geez, you people and your trophy ideas....

Not that it makes any difference but I do not think he named his dog after the Hawkeyes. Based on the pictures I have seen he is wearing Longhorn Tshirts so perhaps he did name his dog after the character from MASH. Can anyone verify this?
Uh...that shirt might be a gift from a military buddy or something; I've read he was a fan.

Not that it makes any difference but I do not think he named his dog after the Hawkeyes. Based on the pictures I have seen he is wearing Longhorn Tshirts so perhaps he did name his dog after the character from MASH. Can anyone verify this?

Definitely need to find this out before going through with this thing.

AT first I thought it was a great idea, being the Iowa fan, dog lover and super patriot I am... and then I reflected a bit and tried to consider this suggestion from man's best friend point of view.

The fallen Navy Seal's dog Hawkeye has no understanding or clue what is going on, is not sentimental or get our human obsession about our college football team and how we would love to cheer and see the dog being trotted out for a coin toss.

I really only hope to hear that Hawkeye has been adopted and find a "new" best friend and owner. I know when I die that's what I would want for my dog.

Hey I know I'm a contrarian (a doubting Thomas), and it's only my two cents, but if you really love dogs you will come around and agree that it's a bad idea. A better idea is to put the dog first, Hawkeye has no vote and his bark is coming in a distant third or fourth.

Fire away, question my manhood, call me a communist, make snide comments that have nothing to do with my points, but consider it through the dogs, eyes and ears and really wet nose.

RIP Herky...(my first best friend) and Java may they never trot you out for their enjoyment if I go before you.

The fallen Navy Seal's dog Hawkeye has no understanding or clue what is going on, is not sentimental or get our human obsession about our college football team and how we would love to cheer and see the dog being trotted out for a coin toss.

I agree with this. I think it's a stupid idea. "We" want to do this for "us", not for the dog or for the dead serviceman. It's tacky, IMO, to use the dog and the whole horrible tragedy to fire up the crowd before a football game.

Having the dog present during the national anthem or a halftime presentation is one thing. Leading the swarm out is another. The latter is a bad idea.

I agree with this. I think it's a stupid idea. "We" want to do this for "us", not for the dog or for the dead serviceman. It's tacky, IMO, to use the dog and the whole horrible tragedy to fire up the crowd before a football game.

This was my take on it. 70,000 screaming fans is going to scare the crap out of that dog. It just feels exploitive.

Having grown up with dogs, I also thought about this from Hawkeye's point of view. It will probably terrify the poor pooch to be in a stadium of 70K screaming fans. Some suggest he could lead the team in the swarm. Ever see a dog getting chased? Like I said, he'd either freak out or bite someone in the nuts.

Aaron hit the nail on the head.

Love my dogs -- Rock and Lou are parked next to me as I type this.

Love my Hawkeyes -- '85 grad, and despite living in California, I've made it to 3 games the last two years (including that hot mess in Tucson last year).

Love my men and women in uniform. God bless you for your sacrifices.

Love that dog Hawkeye and his loyalty.

But here's the thing -- if Hawkeye drops a deuce on the 50 yard line, the whole thing becomes a punch line.

Having grown up with dogs, I also thought about this from Hawkeye's point of view. It will probably terrify the poor pooch to be in a stadium of 70K screaming fans. Some suggest he could lead the team in the swarm. Ever see a dog getting chased? Like I said, he'd either freak out or bite someone in the nuts.

If you can guarantee it bites Pat Fitzgerald, I'd change my tune.

I was kind of wondering the same thing myself. There is no guarantee you are going to get this dog to even come out of the tunnel.

But if Iowa pursued this I am sure the family would know if one of the family would be able to walk him out. I think it would be better to walk him out before the national anthem where we could show him & his fallen master honor by us standing, hats off, and silent.

we can think of all the bad things that could happen, but the most important thing is recognizing the effort and service of the serviceman.

I say instead of leading the team out of the tunnel, have him go out with a cheerleader when they carry Herky out of the tunnel.

or on second thought have the dog led out during a moment of silence, and have him stay through the star spangled banner by an exit (showing him on the big screen). that is the only logical situation I can think of.

is the use of Bevo, Buffalo, or Auburns War Eagle exploitative? I think not, just once for this dog to honor his master (even if he doesn't understand) is what should be done.

While those things all suck, they're not exploitative. This isn't a PETA issue with the exploitation of animals, it's the exploiting of a dead serviceman that's offensive.

This is what I what I was trying to say. If we want to honor this mans service and sacrifice ask for a moment of silence don't run his dog out on to the field.

Latest posts