Hawk Talk with Fran

BGOLD

I've never really listened to this radio broadcast. Just curious if anyone listened yesterday, and if any callers asked Fran about his 2 foul substitution rule or if there were any other good questions that needed to be asked?

I might be wrong... but I SWEAR Cook had 2 fouls in the first half and came back in. Can anyone confirm that because while I agree that 2 fouls typically means you sit under Fran, but he's deviated from that in the past... and actually just the last game I think.

I might be wrong... but I SWEAR Cook had 2 fouls in the first half and came back in. Can anyone confirm that because while I agree that 2 fouls typically means you sit under Fran, but he's deviated from that in the past... and actually just the last game I think.

I think I remember Cook coming back in with 2 fouls in the first half, but mostly because Garza and Kriener also had 2 fouls. It was very late in the half as well...maybe a couple minutes to go.

The 2 foul rule, while I don't agree with it, I at least understand the purpose behind it...

However, there are things we do in game that I have no idea why or what the purpose of it is....such as hedging our center 30 feet from the basket and then asking him to sprint back to the lane and recover, or why in our 2-3 zone we bring the corner defender opposite the ball so far into the lane that it's impossible for him to recover from a skip pass thrown over the top, or why Fran, during road games, almost always waits until it's a double digit run by the opposition before he calls timeout.....

I think you're right, but Cook was also removed a few minutes into the 2nd half for picking up his 3rd and Fran doesn't typically reinsert those guys until under 10 minutes.

It has been many years since I used to listen every week throughout football and bball. It just became such a softball lobbing, boot licking fest with Mert (or Gert?) offering her purple-ribbon "We're lucky to have you, Coach. Boys sure worked hard. Hang in there ...", followed by Bob (from Mason City?) sputtering out some worship, then another Bob (from Bettendorf or maybe it was Clear Lake?) reading his script, finishing with Tommy, who, while he always tried to ask a challenging question or make an edgy, slightly critical comment, was so off the wall he couldn't be taken seriously and was treated with a wink & elbow like you do to your drunk uncle Cletus at Thanksgiving. Pour a thick, sugary topping of Dolph shilling like a carney-barker for 2 hours and you get the idea of what a fluff-fest the call-in shows are.

If you're into the "House-Skanks from ..." shows or enjoy gawking at train wrecks, then you might get a kick out of it. Otherwise, if you're looking for objective insight and / or answers to criticism, let alone, any legitimate defense of strategy, forget it.

Shows like this are so bad now they are unlistenable. There is a DMR reporter who live tweets ISU call in shows because the questions and comments are so stupid.

On KXNO in Des Moines they do a call in show with Sage Rosenfels and Chuck Long on Monday at 5:00. They break down the games and then there is a dude named Anthony that calls in super early to get first in line to ask a question and he basically slobbers all over chuck for 5 minutes asking questions about Fry or one of his teammates from 1984. It's just absolutely brutal and it's what these shows are for 2 hours now.

I was thinking he got his 2nd foul really late in the half. Maybe he never went out all or came back for the last offensive possession?

Shows like this are so bad now they are unlistenable. There is a DMR reporter who live tweets ISU call in shows because the questions and comments are so stupid.

On KXNO in Des Moines they do a call in show with Sage Rosenfels and Chuck Long on Monday at 5:00. They break down the games and then there is a dude named Anthony that calls in super early to get first in line to ask a question and he basically slobbers all over chuck for 5 minutes asking questions about Fry or one of his teammates from 1984. It's just absolutely brutal and it's what these shows are for 2 hours now.

With all due respect that's kind of a low blow, I think it's fairly obvious Anthony has a learning disorder...

I would ask these...

When you get a technical foul you hurt the team...what steps have you taken to deal with your anger and out of control behavior?

If you have already lost 3 games and are working your way out of the NCAA in November, have you considered leaving your best players in with 2 fouls on them in the first half?

In your experience do you know of any successful team that has had no PG?

Are you aware than Jon Miller has predicted a 15-15 season for you?

I would ask these...

When you get a technical foul you hurt the team...what steps have you taken to deal with your anger and out of control behavior?

If you have already lost 3 games and are working your way out of the NCAA in November, have you considered leaving your best players in with 2 fouls on them in the first half?

In your experience do you know of any successful team that has had no PG?

Are you aware than Jon Miller has predicted a 15-15 season for you?

Kenpom predicted us to win 3 conference games. And if you've paid attention to the BIG/ACC Challenge you know the BIG is down this year.

I've never really listened to this radio broadcast. Just curious if anyone listened yesterday, and if any callers asked Fran about his 2 foul substitution rule or if there were any other good questions that needed to be asked?

I thought about calling in and asking about that.

It has been many years since I used to listen every week throughout football and bball. It just became such a softball lobbing, boot licking fest with Mert (or Gert?) offering her purple-ribbon "We're lucky to have you, Coach. Boys sure worked hard. Hang in there ...", followed by Bob (from Mason City?) sputtering out some worship, then another Bob (from Bettendorf or maybe it was Clear Lake?) reading his script, finishing with Tommy, who, while he always tried to ask a challenging question or make an edgy, slightly critical comment, was so off the wall he couldn't be taken seriously and was treated with a wink & elbow like you do to your drunk uncle Cletus at Thanksgiving. Pour a thick, sugary topping of Dolph shilling like a carney-barker for 2 hours and you get the idea of what a fluff-fest the call-in shows are.

If you're into the "House-Skanks from ..." shows or enjoy gawking at train wrecks, then you might get a kick out of it. Otherwise, if you're looking for objective insight and / or answers to criticism, let alone, any legitimate defense of strategy, forget it.

Classic post! Man you nailed the callers. Isn't Tommy that old guy one can hardly understand that makes no sense half the time?

Kenpom predicted us to win 3 conference games. And if you've paid attention to the BIG/ACC Challenge you know the BIG is down this year.

If you watched the Gavitt Games, you'd know that the Big10 is even with the Big East this year.

If Iowa as deep as they are why does it matter with fouls. :cool::p