Hawk Stock: Recruiting

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
In this latest installment of our Hawk Stock series, we'll take a look at recruiting as it relates to the Iowa football program. Here are links to our previous items:

Hawk Stock: Annual Expectations
Hawk Stock: Coaching Evaluations
Hawk Stock: Coaching Report Card

From a macro point of view, here are some key aspects to how I view the recruiting landscape in Iowa City:

-No national title lineage or history to draw on
-Small state that produces the fewest to second fewest BCS caliber players of any in the Big Ten
-Must rely on out of state recruiting; not the top dog or fan favorite in those states
-Has relied heavily on player ID and development the past 30 years
-By next fall, will have Top 15 practice facilities in the sport
-Phenomenal game day environment & fan support
-35 former players currently in the NFL
-More players drafted last two years than all but two teams in the sport (USC & Florida)
-Very good graduation rates of its players

BIGGEST BARRIER

In my opinion, one of the biggest hurdles Iowa has to overcome on an annual basis is the limited number of BCS conference players the state produces each year. To narrow that down even further, the number of players the state produces that have common offers between Iowa and Iowa State is even lower.

Take a look at the graph below. The first set up data is purely state driven. The state is listed, along with it's population then the number to the right of that are the number of players produced in that state who signed letters of intent with BCS conference programs in the 2011 recruiting class. The second set of numbers are actual football programs, with state population and the number of in state players those programs signed:

statecommits.jpg

I have been closely following Iowa's recruiting efforts for the past decade and am also familiar with the number of in state players who receive common offers from Iowa and Iowa State. That number is typically in the four to six per year range.

For the class of 2011, Iowa had just two instate commitments. Wisconsin, a program whose home state has nearly doubles the population of Iowa, had 10.

If you want to know why programs like USC, Texas, Florida, Ohio State and Georgia are not just perennial powers but Top 10 winners all time, look no further than the number of high major players their states produce.

The fact that Iowa has a Top 15 winning percentage during the previous decade in all of college football is a great testament to the Iowa coaching staff's ability to identify and develop talent, because Iowa's recruiting class rankings during that time are about seventh best in the league.

I knew the state of Georgia produced a lot of talent, but had no idea it was that much. I didn't bother looking into statewide information for California, Texas and Florida because we know they produce a boat load of talent.

Be sure to take notice of states like Louisiana, South Carolina and Mississippi. None of those states has more than 4.5 million people yet they are producing solid numbers of high major players. Many of those players make their way to the rosters of LSU, South Carolina and Ole Miss.

I didn't include them in my spreadsheet, but LSU signed 16 players from Louisiana last year, South Carolina signed 10 in state prospects and Ole Miss nabbed 13. When you can fill close to half or more than half of your recruiting class with home grown talent, your job is a lot easier.

That has never been the case at Iowa and likely never will. Most programs in the Big Ten and Midwest have to (or choose to) get a significant portion of their players from out of state (save Ohio State). This includes programs with national title lineage like Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame and Nebraska.

Some will want to point at Nebraska and say 'Hey, don't they have the same instate issues that Iowa has?' Yes, they do. But they also have recruiting advantages that Iowa does not have, like three national titles in the 1990's alone and better football facilities.

While we'd all like to see Iowa's name higher on the annual recruiting rankings, it's far easier said than done from Iowa City.

NFL IMPACT

The biggest ace Iowa has up its sleeve right now on the recruiting front is the NFL angle. Realistic or not, most high school players who can get scholarships to play football at Big Ten universities believe they can make it to the NFL.

Most colleges will tell these prospects that they can help them get to the next level and Iowa is no different. Only when Iowa says it, there is a great deal of truth to it.

Over the past two NFL drafts, only USC and Florida have seen more players drafted than Iowa. There are currently 35 former Hawkeyes on NFL rosters according to ESPN. That number ranks 8th nationally and second in the Big Ten behind Miami (FL), USC, Texas, Tennessee, Ohio State, Georgia and LSU.

Iowa has had the most offensive linemen drafted in the NFL (11) since the 2003 NFL Draft.

Every Iowa senior starting tight end (nine) under Kirk Ferentz has been drafted in the NFL or made an NFL team in his first year as a rookie.

All 11 members of Iowa’s starting defensive unit in 2008 were either drafted in the last three NFL drafts or signed to NFL free agent contracts following the drafts.

Over the past 10 years, 90 of 100 (90%) of Iowa’s senior starters have been drafted in the NFL or signed NFL free agent contracts.

Defensive secondary Coach Phil Parker has coached 14 Iowa defensive backs to the NFL and Iowa defensive backs have earned all-Big Ten honors 25 times.

Those are phenomenal statistics, all the more impressive when you consider Iowa's recruiting classes have averaged seventh best in the Big Ten ranking since 2002.

The facts support the following statement: This staff can identify talent and develop that talent better than any staff in college football today. The seven teams ahead of Iowa on the list above related to former players currently on NFL rosters have built in recruiting advantages Iowa does not have. Those schools routinely sign Top 15 or better recruiting classes nationally, year in and year out. Iowa's classes have likely averaged in the mid to upper 30's, at best, over the past decade.

I have contended for a number of years that you not only have to work harder at Iowa, you have to work smarter. Iowa has a sign in its weight room that has been a solid mantra through the years; Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

DEFENSIVE LINE ISSUES

I left out the defensive line position in the accolades above, because I wanted to single that group out in this segment.

Iowa has placed 20 defensive linemen in the NFL under Kirk Ferentz and every senior starter (seven) under DL Coach Rick Kaczenski has gone on to the NFL. Iowa was the only school to have three of its defensive linemen drafted in the 2011 draft. Last year's senior class (Clayborn, Klug, Ballard) were a part of four defenses whose average NCAA scoring defense ranking was 9.25. Yes, I wrote average ranking. They were 7th in 2010, 10th in 2009, 8th in 2008 and 12th in 2007. That 2007 number is not a misprint, either.

Those are out of this world numbers that should be leading to annual success on the recruiting trails. Iowa has had some success in landing a few four stars here and there in recent years, especially as of late; Darian Cooper signed in February of 2010 and Iowa has verbal commitments for the 2012 class from four-star prospects Faith Ekakitie and Jaleel Johnson..

Here is a list of defensive line recruits that have signed with Iowa inside of the last four years who later chose to leave the program with eligibility remaining:

John Raymon (2011)
Donovan Johnson (2010)
Anthony Ferguson Jr (2010)
Tyler Harrell (2009)
Marty Hopkins (2009)
Scott Covert (2009)
Jason Semmes (2008)

Toss in players like Scott Covert and Cody Hundertmark who began their Iowa carers on the defensive line, moved to the offensive side of the ball and later left and that takes you to nine players.

Iowa can't afford that type of attrition at any position, much less the most important position on its team based upon the historical success and importance the defensive line has been to Kirk Ferentz football teams.

Under Ferentz, Iowa has never won more than seven regular season games unless it's scoring defense was ranked 24th in the nation or better. That has happened five times in the Ferentz era, and in four of those years Iowa has a scoring defense ranked 16th or better in the nation.

Simply put, the Iowa defense line has been the biggest barometer between breakout seasons and average seasons.

WHY THE ATTRITION?

I wish I could answer that question, but I am as puzzled as you are. Given the NFL success stories, why is Iowa having trouble keeping defensive linemen on the roster or getting more of them to Iowa City in the first place?

It's hard to believe the coaching staff just missed that badly on nine players over a three year span when that had never happened at this position before. So what things have changed in recent years or during this time frame where we have seen so much attrition at this position?

The only tangible thing I can point to is former Iowa Defensive Line coach Ron Aiken leaving the program on February 14th, 2007.

Iowa had seen defensive linemen transfer out of the program during Aiken's time in Iowa City (Ryan Bain and Vernon Jackson just to name two that come to mind) but Aiken was in Iowa City when Ballard, Klug and Clayborn signed with the Hawks. He coached Clayborn for one year. Rick Kaczenski was hired to replace Aiken and has been there ever since.

This fact isn't brought up to throw Coach K under the bus, because he must be doing a good enough job to see Ballard, Clayborn and Klug get into the NFL. Mitch King and Matt Kroul play under Coach K in 2007 and 2008, too. However, it's the only 'obvious' change in visible variables I can see from the outside, which doesn't always provide the best view.

So even taking that coaching position change into account, I do not have an answer to the question of 'why the attrition?'. It is promising to see some of the players Iowa has landed in each of the last two recruiting classes along the defensive line.

WHY NO JUNIOR COLLEGE INFLUENCE?

As best I can recall, Derreck Pickens has been the only real Juco contributor along the Iowa defensive line and that was in 2001.

This year's Iowa team could have used one or two Juco's, but I don't recall Iowa being actively involved with any one year ago and if they were, things never got very far along.

If they weren't, then they over estimated the abilities of the players they had coming back. You knew Mike Daniels and Broderick Binns were going to be good for you because you had seen it. However, everyone after those two were unknowns outside of the walls of Fort Kinnick. Perhaps these players had given the staff enough confidence to play the hand they had, which is how things played out.

Unfortunately, the group behind Binns and Daniels was never able to play together for any length of time due to injury. Dom Alvis had outside contain issues early on after moving to defensive end and couldn't hold his gap on the inside to start the year. Lebron Daniel had similar contain issues but improved as the year went along. Tom Nardo did a solid job when he was healthy but that was for less than half the season. Alvis missed the final three regular season games due to an ACL tear in the Michigan win. Carl Davis injured his leg in training camp and was never 100 percent so this was a lost season for him. Steve Bigach flashed but was not ready for the minutes he was asked to play at the Big Ten level.

From my vantage point, most of the players after Binns, Daniels and Nardo needed another year of seasoning and weight training before they were ready to fill any serious role on the Iowa defensive line, but the Hawkeyes didn't have that luxury this season.

This brings me back around to the Juco question circa the fall of 2010. The Iowa coaching staff had to see this coming but chose to play the cards in their hand instead of trying to improve the hand via the Juco ranks. There is no guarantee that a Juco player or two is going to save the soup, but it couldn't have hurt, given the importance of this positon to the program.

IS HELP ON THE WAY?

The 2008 Iowa recruiting class was ranked 9th in the Big Ten by Scout.com and 13 of the 25 signees are no longer with the program. Those Class of 2008 players would be the seniors on the 2012 team. Guys like James Ferentz and James Vandenberg were a part of that class and more than 50% of their 'signing classmates' are gone.

The 2009 Iowa recruiting class ranked 11th in the Big Ten (out of 12, as I am factoring in Nebraska's national class rankings into the Big Ten now). That class had 18 members on signing day and eight of them are no longer in the program.

Having that level of attrition in back to back classes which would now be your fifth year seniors and fourth year juniors is devastating to a developmental program like Iowa's.

The 2010 class was ranked 6th in the Big Ten and signed 21 members; 18 of them are still at Iowa. The 25 member 2011 class was ranked 4th in the Big Ten and is down five members from signing day, but many of these players saw action this season.

The 2010 and 2011 classes have a lot of speed and talent but 2013 is a better target for that talent to show up in big numbers on the field.

Iowa will be receiving a visit from Juco DL Jake Sheffield this weekend, but they have yet to offer him a scholarship.

SUMMARY

This program is not likely going to be a 'destination' program on the whole, but it has produced a lot of NFL players on both sides of the line of scrimmage. This program, like many others, is built in the trenches and the Hawkeyes have done well here.

You'd like to think that sort of success would make their jobs easier on the recruiting trails, but nothing seems to come easy. Landing players like Cooper, Johnson and Ekakitie along the defensive line in the last 10 months is certainly encouraging and Iowa's three youngest classes are full of promise. However their two oldest classes have been hammered by attrition, which causes concern for next year.

That leads us to our next installment in this Hawk Stock series, a look into the crystal ball to see what the 2012 season looks like. We'll do that Friday or Monday, using a lot of the data we have shared, putting together potential depth charts and examining Iowa's 2012 opponents and what they have coming back.

This is probably one of your better articles I have ever read. I might feel that way because it nails home the points I have been trying to make in defending KF. His staff has been one of the best in the country at developing players without 4/5 star recruits. But Iowa's success does start with the defensive line and I am perplexed as to why they did not recognize the holes and sign Juco's before this season as well. Perhaps they saw Cooper and Raymon having bigger roles than what they were ready for as true freshman. But when you have low ranked recuiting classes coupled with bad attrition this leads to few options and then you end up with 12 walk ons on the depth chart. Hopefully the coaching staff can turn it around real fast or we will see a Tom Davis syndrome happening here. KF has raised the bar at Iowa along with fans expectations, 6/7 win seasons do not cut it anymore. While I recognize the mistakes the coaching staff has made and have questioned some of the play calling I still say KF is the best coach Iowa has ever had.

Unless these true freshman can come in and have a huge impact to next year, or they bring in some stud Jucos I do not see Iowa finishing any better than 7 wins next year either. I look forward to your next installment to see what your assessment of next year is.

I've been critical of Kirk, but I think I'm going to take the long view and relax a little until the 2010-12 classes really start showing up on the field.

Fiedorowicz should be a ready to fully shine next year, and I'm really excited about Cooper, Lomax, and Law on the D side, not to mention our 2012 verbal commits so far. The 2011 guys will still be young next year, but 2013 and 2014 look very bright...as of now.

P.S. Kelley, I would actually say Evashevski beats Ferentz and Fry as "the best coach Iowa has ever had." Due to differing eras, though, I acknowledge that it is VERY arguable. Just a side note. (Howard Jones, too)

P.S. Kelley, I would actually say Evashevski beats Ferentz and Fry as "the best coach Iowa has ever had." Due to differing eras, though, I acknowledge that it is VERY arguable. Just a side note. (Howard Jones, too)

I can see where you can make that case as under Evy Iowa did get awarded a National Championship and was a damn good coach. But I also believe Evy was responsible for Iowa nose diving in the 60's and into the 70's and one could argue he was the worst AD Iowa has ever had. I believe had Evy not had a power trip and kept coaching Iowa could have turned into what Nebraska is today. Just my opinion.

If you want to look at it a bit differently but over a longer period of time, the last 10 years.

BIG TEN INSTATE RECRUITS - % OF INSTATE PLAYERS ON TEAM SINCE 2002

Ohio State 61%
Illinois 37%
MSU 35%
PSU 34%
Wisconsin 31%
Michigan 26%
Indiana 26%
Minnesota 25%
Iowa 23%
Northwestern 21%
Nebraska 18%
Purdue 16%

........courtesy of Omaha World Herald earlier this year.

What you have to consider when looking at some of this type of data is that you probably have to add some of the schools together to get a clearer picture of that particular state's impact.......MI plus MSU, PU plus IN, etc.

I don't deny that this coaching staff does more with less and that is their strength.

But with so many NFL developed players the results on the football field should be stronger at times.

Kirk is a great developer of talent no doubt but his game management and lack of imagination within the system is the problem.

I don't deny that this coaching staff does more with less and that is their strength.

But with so many NFL developed players the results on the football field should be stronger at times.

Kirk is a great developer of talent no doubt but his game management and lack of imagination within the system is the problem.

See the offensive breakdown we posted yesterday. If this offense had just been average for many years, Iowa would have had even more success the last decade.

See the offensive breakdown we posted yesterday. If this offense had just been average for many years, Iowa would have had even more success the last decade.

Except 2002, if the Iowa offense needed to play a good game against a good team they have the vast majority of time tanked. You sum it up right...the ability of the front four on dline is more predictive of success under KF and the current coordinators than the offensive line. And as mentioned, there is no way around it, the dline is not going to be good next year. We may improve as the season goes on as some younger guys get on the field but it won't matter because our easy games are early. Thus 6 wins is a realistic prediction with less being very possible.

So where is the offenses biggest shortcoming? Is it play calling, WR, RB depth, QB, or a combination of all of these. OL (based on KF's reputation) can not be listed as a weakness, even though some years it is an issue. Right now, we appear to be getting 2-4 good OL every year, where in the past, we might have a year where we didn't get any quality linemen. TE doesn't seem to be a recruiting issue anymore. WR, QB, and RB would be the pecking order for challenges in recruiting.

So where is the offenses biggest shortcoming? Is it play calling, WR, RB depth, QB, or a combination of all of these. OL (based on KF's reputation) can not be listed as a weakness, even though some years it is an issue. Right now, we appear to be getting 2-4 good OL every year, where in the past, we might have a year where we didn't get any quality linemen. TE doesn't seem to be a recruiting issue anymore. WR, QB, and RB would be the pecking order for challenges in recruiting.

Good point, I would say a combination of the talent at the skilled positions (particularly WRs) and conservative play calling. The recipe for success at Iowa has always been vanilla on offense win with your defense and special teams.

I think it is multifactorial and depends on the year. I think we have had years after Philibin left where the offensive line just hasn't performed very well. Overall I would say our Qb development has been lacking when you look at the years our senior Qbs have had. Also I would say that in general the predictablity of our offensive play-calling based on down and formation has not been good. Plus a lack of sophistication in our ability of our Qbs to audible.

Here are the recruiting class rankings over the past 10 years of some of the Midwest schools plus Boise St:

YEAR...IA...NE...WI...BS...MSU...MO...IL...OK...OKS...ISU...MICH

AVE....38...28...39....72...44......43...36...10....32......64.....11
HI........8...10...26....57...13......28...19.....2....16......50......2
LOW...75...44...53....97...96......58...57....30....65......79....23

I get Iowa has proven it is a developmental program that excels at doing more with relatively less. In order to achieve this you also have to preach "execution" (What are the two fundamental concepts on which the entire philosophy of Iowa football is based? Development and Execution.)

While I would guess that all high-level coaches have personalities tending toward control and perfection, I suspect KF takes it to a higher level. Part of it is out of necessity -- if you're going to field a less-talented, physically / athletically average team (which is what the majority of Iowa recruits are, according to the inherent recruiting disadvantage of Iowa mentioned your analysis) you have to emphasize near perfect execution of fundamentals and strategy.

Probably my biggest criticism is that KF & crew often wear that "developmental program" badge of honor to the point where they are blinded by their "perfect execution" dogma and frequently do less with more.

This has become more evident since about 2005, as Iowa has routinely signed more 4* recruits (players that I would consider "field ready"), yet we all scratch our heads wondering why seniority continues to trump talent. While KF has become more willing to give those freshman a shot, he still doesn't seem willing to turn them loose.

I really suspect that the stagnation in the program, particularly noticeable over the last 5 - 6 seasons, is directly related to KF's own stagnation (turmoil) of accepting the youthful risk that comes with the reward of getting your talent some experience. I suspect he values that "blue-collar developmental player" that can execute over that "blue-chip player" that can perform.

I'm not advocating compromise of integrity or favoritism. I am advocating more willingness to accept the following:
-- CJ Fed might not be as good a blocker as Brad Herman, but he's a bigger target that is more likely to produce when you throw him the ball.
-- Carl Davis might occasionally shoot the wrong gap or get a little high when engaging the OL, but he's got 20-30# on Bigach and Nardo, which makes him a lot more difficult to move off the line.
-- McCall might have put one on the rug, but I'm going right back to him next series because I've got to keep Coker fresh and we need his quickness.

You can coach through mistakes but you can't coach size, talent and athleticism. Sometimes experience -- and failure -- is the best coach. You can chase your tail on development and perfecting execution but it shouldn't be to the point of stifling and wasting talent.

This is expecially the case when we see the true measurement of success -- the W's and L's -- have been no better because of it. In other words, there is less and less to lose in the short-term but much more to gain in the long-term by getting meaningful experience for your talent over rewarding seniority and development.

Here are the recruiting class rankings over the past 10 years of some of the Midwest schools plus Boise St:

YEAR...IA...NE...WI...BS...MSU...MO...IL...OK...OKS...ISU...MICH

AVE....38...28...39....72...44......43...36...10....32......64.....11
HI........8...10...26....57...13......28...19.....2....16......50......2
LOW...75...44...53....97...96......58...57....30....65......79....23

Interesting numbers, you able to do this with just the Big Ten schools (with Nebraska)? Also, any way to factor in attrition to this?

I'd like to see a year by year breakdown of the states where our recruits are coming from, or a state breakdown of our roster over the years. I remember early in the Ferentz era we seemed to have a good pipeline down in Florida. While we still get a few guys from there, it seems recruiting there for us has dropped off quite a bit.

When looking at diamonds in the rough, and the 2* and 3* guys, wouldn't odds be better to look for those guys in warm weather states, such as Florida/California/Texas? I go back to something Steve Deace has mentioned on the radio a few times during the year regarding the Hawks. He said Iowa appears to be very "thick ankled". I would have to agree with him on this assessment.

Defensive secondary Coach Phil Parker has coached 14 Iowa defensive backs to the NFL and Iowa defensive backs have earned all-Big Ten honors 25 times. /QUOTE]

If I've remembered correctly, all of Iowa's DBs became safeties in the NFL.
Is this because Iowa never recruits cornerbacks with pro potential?
No. IMO, it's because of the scheme taught at Iowa.

One problem we have in our recruiting that Iowa can't change is the level of HS football in Iowa. And sports in general.

I've always thought it odd that the biggest public schools in the state, save Valley, CR Wash, Bettendorf, Dowling, Ankeny SEP, and the 2 Iowa City Schools, are basically pathetic when it comes to football. SC, CB, Des Moines, CR, Waterloo, Dub, Quads...all have lousy programs over all.
I know this will stir up the hornets nests, but Dowling, Xavier, Heelan, Wahlert, & Assumption are a big part of the problem. By skimming off the top tier of players from many of the public schools in their metro areas, they create a situation where while the private schools might not be fantastic, they have diluted the talent level at the Roosevelts, Jeffersons, Hempsteads, etc. to the point where it is almost impossible to put out a winning program. And like it or not, kids and their parents lose interest when the school never wins, and the cycle gets worse.
I've got no problem with Johnny who started at St. Theresa's in 1st grade playing for Dowling, not whatsoever. But Sam who started at Dowling his freshman year after 9 yrs in Roosevelt feeder schools, I've got a big problem with that. And having had a son who recently was in the system, I know of at least 10 VHS kids in a recent class who were approached at some point to consider Dowling.

:

Under Ferentz, Iowa has never won more than seven regular season games unless it's scoring defense was ranked 24th in the nation or better. That has happened five times in the Ferentz era, and in four of those years Iowa has a scoring defense ranked 16th or better in the nation.

Simply put, the Iowa defense line has been the biggest barometer between breakout seasons and average seasons.

IMO, LBs and DBs need to be stronger in Iowa's defense. Why rely on only one part of the defense each year?

Defensive secondary Coach Phil Parker has coached 14 Iowa defensive backs to the NFL and Iowa defensive backs have earned all-Big Ten honors 25 times.

If I've remembered correctly, all of Iowa's pro-bound DBs became safeties in the NFL.
Is this because Iowa never recruits cornerbacks with pro potential?
No. IMO, it's because of the scheme taught at Iowa.

Last edited:

And where does the blame fall in this?? The blame can't be on "execution" all the time. This season we had, statistically, the #2 QB, #2 RB, and #1 WR in the Big Ten. That should be a recipe for success.

Last year we had a record number of players get drafted into the NFL, yet we we were still 7-5.

I am not calling for anyone's head. But at some point this staff has to be held accountable and make changes in order to put a better product on the field.

Latest posts