HAWK FANS

StanziUSA

What's with all the just God awful attitude towards your team? Trust me I am disgusted by our football programs relevance since '09 but God all of you want to jump ship as if you are a bunch of bandwagon Badger fans. We need the fans that showed up against Wisconsin this year because our team and coaching staff feeds off the fan base! Think positive even if the going gets tough. C'mon

I defiantly get the frustration with the 7&5 ending but I like a post with some good vibes it's much needed.

I defiantly get the frustration with the 7&5 ending but I like a post with some good vibes it's much needed.
The modd just needs to change. Could be worse. It could be like 2 years ago. Where we went 4-8 and we were Bowless

It seems if you are positive at all times with this program and staff then nothing ever gets better. Sorry but can't get excited about Iowa Football and the results the last 5 years.

I just unfortunately see this entire football program slowly going over the cliff, falling into a tailspin that could possibly take years to recover from. I wanted to see "tweaks" 3 years ago, was supportive then, before and after, and remained that way through 2 1/4 years...what I saw repeatedly this season was ENOUGH.

I have spent many, many years seeing our program rise from absolutely nothing and then ebb and flow at the acceptable (and sometimes ecstatic) levels we've all witnessed. A down season here and there was acceptable because it was usually "rebuilding"....

...But now...that is no longer the pattern...now, we face the possibility of remaining mediocre at best, for the foreseeable future. Possibly a decade or more. If after 35 years of building a program into one that brings in top ten fund raising, 3.7 million annual salary, first class new facilities, etc...and we can't break out of the slightly better than not ranked, .500 mold, we are in serious trouble. We have now essentially already become irrelivant to anywhere outside of Big Ten country...not being ranked in 4 years? Losing regularly to ISU? Are YOU effing kidding me? And for what? A stubborn over conservative coach.

I will still root for Iowa on Jan 2, and still unabashedly hope (to my own detriment), hope to see sparks of brilliance from our coaching staff. I personally would not go out of my way nor will I alter my South Florida travel plans to go North to see this game live (as I've done in the past), but I will watch and cheer...and I hope that there is still a lot of black and gold there representing...bowl support is different than season/single game ticket support...

New Year, new scheme, maybe, new hope for that positive glimmer of change from within the staff (highly doubtful, but)....but come Jan 3rd, with a win or loss, if KF and/or GD still called our game with the same INEPTNESS that we witnessed ALL season long, I will continue to call for change at the top; so as to limit these mediocre and underachieving years and help restore our program to national relavancy long before the scheduled 2018-2021 change!

I just unfortunately see this entire football program slowly going over the cliff, falling into a tailspin that could possibly take years to recover from. I wanted to see "tweaks" 3 years ago, was supportive then, before and after, and remained that way through 2 1/4 years...what I saw repeatedly this season was ENOUGH.

I have spent many, many years seeing our program rise from absolutely nothing and then ebb and flow at the acceptable (and sometimes ecstatic) levels we've all witnessed. A down season here and there was acceptable because it was usually "rebuilding"....

...But now...that is no longer the pattern...now, we face the possibility of remaining mediocre at best, for the foreseeable future. Possibly a decade or more. If after 35 years of building a program into one that brings in top ten fund raising, 3.7 million annual salary, first class new facilities, etc...and we can't break out of the slightly better than not ranked, .500 mold, we are in serious trouble. We have now essentially already become irrelivant to anywhere outside of Big Ten country...not being ranked in 4 years? Losing regularly to ISU? Are YOU effing kidding me? And for what? A stubborn over conservative coach.

I will still root for Iowa on Jan 2, and still unabashedly hope (to my own detriment), hope to see sparks of brilliance from our coaching staff. I personally would not go out of my way nor will I alter my South Florida travel plans to go North to see this game live (as I've done in the past), but I will watch and cheer...and I hope that there is still a lot of black and gold there representing...bowl support is different than season/single game ticket support...

New Year, new scheme, maybe, new hope for that positive glimmer of change from within the staff (highly doubtful, but)....but come Jan 3rd, with a win or loss, if KF and/or GD still called our game with the same INEPTNESS that we witnessed ALL season long, I will continue to call for change at the top; so as to limit these mediocre and underachieving years and help restore our program to national relavancy long before the scheduled 2018-2021 change!

If Jake Rudock and Mark Weismann are absolutely the best skill players at the positions they were asked to play this year, that says a lot about the ability of this HC and his staff to recruit to a BoneG program. I'm not calling out those two for the failures of this program this year, simply saying this staff seems no longer able to recruit the level of players needed to compete in even the weaker of the two conference divisions. That's on Kirk Ferentz and by extension Gary Barta for continuing to publicly support KF.

These last several years have felt like Fry's final years before he retired. The cupboard looks just as bare.

It was just the opposite after the Northwestern game and the first half of the Nebraska on these boards.
When we have strength at the line of scrimmage (we may have 4 OL/DL get drafted this spring), and we saw a mostly anemic running game, that's cause for fans noting our displeasure.

When we had one of the easiest schedules in the nation, and could only muster up 7 wins, that's cause for fans noting our displeasure.

It's not just this season. It's a pattern.
We saw Ferentz 1.0.
Then saw it slipping after Adam Shada's salute during the Northwestern game in 2005.
Went into a funk since then, until the Penn State game in 2008.
This started Ferentz 2.0.
As we know, this essentially ended after the fake punt against Wisconsin, or after the Michigan State game in 2010. We like to say "fake punt", as the Michigan State game was just a dead cat bounce.
We keep hoping for a Ferentz 3.0, but have had just a few dead cat bounces.
Win against Michigan in 2011, but finished 7-6.
Win at MSU in 2012, then lost all remaining games.
Wins against Michigan and Nebraska in 2013, and had a chance against LSU rolling in a new QB for the bowl game.

2014 was set up for better than 8 wins, with a returning player at all positions, save the LB position.
Throw in an easy schedule, that many in the media thought we would start 10-0.
This would be 2009, all over again, except the first 10 wins would be much easier this go around.
Then, Kurt loses for the NINTH time against Iowa State.
Some said, we lost to Iowa State in 2002, and that was a special season.
Some said, "uh oh", when Kurt loses to Iowa State, he wins no more than 7 games in a season (except for 2002) and if we only get 7 wins with this easy schedule, this is cause for concern.

Then, we lose at Maryland, by abandoning our running game.
Great optimistim after the Northwestern game. The ship is on course.
Then, the embarassment at Minnesota.

Despite, the well below par performances these first 10 games, Iowa actually had a chance to win the B1G West. In the Wisconsin game, we just needed that late game stop, because our offense, surely could drive us into FG range. That never happened, and the energy went out on the season.

The Nebraksa game didn't mean much for both teams, but Nebraska fought for their coach after being down 24-7, and being dominated, but, then, we saw what happened.

I know JDM and some others are a little late to the party, but, IMO, a majority of it has to do with that contract.
Georgia Tech just extended Paul Johnson through 2020. That is how you do a contract extension.
If Kirk made the B1G championship game this year, despite the past few seasons, I would have been OK, with now, extending him through 2020.

Thank you, Fran, for the basketball win at North Carolina. Hawkeye fans really needed that, and is cause for continued optimism with the basketball program, despite the late season plunge last year.

I will continue supporting the Hawkeyes but call it as I see until something changes. In my view, the coaching is killing the potential that lies within the current and future student athletes. Players develop, they get better, they play hard - but the coaching staff, esp. those long in the tooth, don't have a high propensity to change. So, the future looks a bit bleak from these eyes unless a Jacob Marley gets involved with a nice wake up scare for one to two of our coaches, or we get some new blood in there.

We need the fans that showed up against Wisconsin this year because our team and coaching staff feeds off the fan base! Think positive even if the going gets tough. C'mon
I call BS. Kurt has been giving the proverbial middle finger to the fan base for years, and the more vocal the fans get, the more he hunkers down in his bunker of mediocrity.

What's with all the just God awful attitude towards your team? Trust me I am disgusted by our football programs relevance since '09 but God all of you want to jump ship as if you are a bunch of bandwagon Badger fans. We need the fans that showed up against Wisconsin this year because our team and coaching staff feeds off the fan base! Think positive even if the going gets tough. C'mon

I will flip your opening statement around and ask what's up with Gary Barta's and Kirk Ferentz's God-awful attitude towards the Iowa fan base? Both men seem to have a level of contentment with 7-5 or 6-6 seasons, two or three games of which are cupcakes that should be easy wins. In a year with an extraordinarily favorable schedule, it was not unreasonable to expect a record of 11-1 or at worst 10-2 this year. Iowa should have been a contender for a title in the conference's obviously weaker division. But the team got a wet feeling down its leg against Minnesota, Maryland and Nebraska. Regularly being out-coached by the head of a clearly inferior program down I-80 and a short hop up I-35 is a real blot on what is rapidly becoming Ferentz's pretty average track record as Iowa's head coach.

And yet Ferentz refuses to change. Or perhaps at his age is unable to. Barta either won't (or can't) make the changes needed to upgrade the program.

I don't live close enough to Iowa City to buy season tickets. If I did and had attended games in the past, I would be among the thousands of fans who I expect won't be renewing for 2015. I've coordinated holiday travel to be able to attend four Iowa bowl games in the past but will not be doing so this year.

Barta and Ferentz have demonstrated pretty clearly they no longer care what the fans are feeling. In my case, the emotional separation is mutual.

I have talked to a bunch of friends who watch on TV or go to Kinnick but they dont do this or other message boards. Several of them sit with me at Kinnick and have been, like me, cheering the hawks since the early 70's or before. They aren't on message boards and I tell you they are all very disheartened and quizzical about these losses. We know we are going to lose a couple games this year but not 5.

Never saw 2012 coming, wow. My friends and I just know we see some boring, uninspired coaching right now. And add in some lack of execution (although I am not calling out players) with poor coaching and you get these poor results. This is where A LOT of fans are at.

It seems if you are positive at all times with this program and staff then nothing ever gets better. Sorry but can't get excited about Iowa Football and the results the last 5 years.

And tell me what has changed because of our negativity? The reality is that our negativity has not put ANY pressure on KF and Barta to change. I agree that it's been tough sledding, but we are also not that far away from slipping into the likes of NW, Purdue, and Illinois.

Nice post from Colorado. I too remember the year we finally ended the 19 year non winning streak. Didnt go to the Rose Bowl or anything but was such a positive relief to get off that run! Really enjoyed winning 6 games or whatever it was that year. But Fry AND Ferentz have raised the bar winning championships, Having a chance at the whole thing (1985) and going to and winning New Years bowls. Noone in their right mind would expect Iowa to be a contender every year or not have some down years. Its tough for even the top programs to do that. All that being said 7-5 with the schedule we had coupled with the conservative yes even boring football the past few years demands that changes be made. May not work but years like the one we just had are only acceptable if you live in Ames! Everything in life is relative!

You cant even have a good Football discussion on this board anymore. The KF Haters take over every thread. They have a right to their opinion but they try to shout down any dissenting discussion. Look at Stanzi post. Already has 4 thumbs down. This is what killed the other board JON

Latest posts