Hate to say it but Urban is restoring the order for real

Meyer has to win six Big Ten titles in a row to supplant Tressel. Never been done before Tress did it. Meyer won't do it either, cuz he won't be there five years.[/QUOTE]

Any guesses as to why he won't last 5 years? Recruiting violations? Getting bored? Winning another national title & then retiring? Health problems?

Meyer has to win six Big Ten titles in a row to supplant Tressel. Never been done before Tress did it. Meyer won't do it either, cuz he won't be there five years.

Pretty sure just winning two national titles will supplant tressel, and it wont take Meyer six years to do that.

Seeing Urban's success is proof in my mind that the SEC is no joke. Missouri just lost to Vanderbilt tonight and they were the team most people wanted to join. They're 48-19 the past 5 seasons and they're 0-3 in their SEC debut. Vanderbilt by all accounts suck and Kentucky might be the only SEC team left that Missouri could beat. If Meyer can overtake the SEC, he should have no problem doing the same at Ohio State. As long as he doesn't have to face Alabama/Nick Saban, he's a threat to win it all every season when the ban is over. I don't think he can beat Saban though, he seems to be Meyer's kryptonite.
Misery is finding out quickly that they will be a basketball school in the $EC.

Ohio State isn't necessary in need of being restoring outside of recovering from disadvantages of NCAA sanctions. But any smart fan of a B1G team should know its a good thing have Ohio State at its full potential. Big ten is simply getting too much flak about weakness, but yea it is a off year.

What would I rather have as a fan? A couple Rose Bowl appearances, or a couple national titles? Conference titles are not Meyer's direct goal. Meyer doesn't have to win 6 straight Big Ten championships to supplant Tressel. Crystal footballs will say much more.

Nebraska will never be the class of a conference again, get used to second fiddle next to PSU.

I have a sinking feeling that Myer is going to make OSU twice as dominant as they were under Tressel.

Any real reason to post this in a Hawkeye football forum, other than perhaps you were too lazy to look for the appropriate place? This belongs in Rivalry.

That is all.

Urban Meyer had the easiest job in Major football this season. The regular season was simply a way to thumb their nose at people. This season and its record only count for OSU and nothing else, their season is done and the "us against the world" attitude is done and over as game one next year really means something. Same at PSU, their season means nothing, the only thing that PSU/OSU's season meant was they could screw it up for other teams in positions to actually accomplish something beyond their first 12 games, something that they didn't have to worry about. No pressure, just go play care free football and tell people "told ya' so" it can't feel that good, it just can't.

To me, the discussion should be how did the OSU fans go crazy for Tresell when he was the one directly responsible for this season not meaning a thing?

And yes, Urban is only worried about NC's as that is how the media judges coaches in every sport today.

When next year rolls around and everything matters, we'll see how his team performs having the pressure to not lose. There were many games they could have lost and didn't, like ND, but the difference is...ND will be playing for something in a little over a month, OSU...not so much.

Still comes down to who executes. Anyone who thinks they will run the table year in year out is delusional. OSU being good is nothing new.

+1

Let's not forget that 6 of OSU's wins were by seven points or less this year, two of the wins coming in OT. They beat MSU by one and Indiana by three, both in regulation.

OSU will always be good (7-5 is a BAD season for them and probably always will be), but noone is going to hand them the title every year, and the ball can't always bounce their way.

Urban Meyer had the easiest job in Major football this season. The regular season was simply a way to thumb their nose at people. This season and its record only count for OSU and nothing else, their season is done and the "us against the world" attitude is done and over as game one next year really means something. Same at PSU, their season means nothing, the only thing that PSU/OSU's season meant was they could screw it up for other teams in positions to actually accomplish something beyond their first 12 games, something that they didn't have to worry about. No pressure, just go play care free football and tell people "told ya' so" it can't feel that good, it just can't.

To me, the discussion should be how did the OSU fans go crazy for Tresell when he was the one directly responsible for this season not meaning a thing?

And yes, Urban is only worried about NC's as that is how the media judges coaches in every sport today.

When next year rolls around and everything matters, we'll see how his team performs having the pressure to not lose. There were many games they could have lost and didn't, like ND, but the difference is...ND will be playing for something in a little over a month, OSU...not so much.

Um I'd be willing to bet that despite what you're saying the 12-0 win may help them in the world of recruiting just a little bit. While I understand what you were getting at lets not kid ourselves, 12-0 is very impressive regardless of whether or not they are eligible for the post season. I think OSU is exactly where Urban wanted them to be at this point, and the stars are aligning quite nicely for a Big 10 dominated by OSU in the future.

Um I'd be willing to bet that despite what you're saying the 12-0 win may help them in the world of recruiting just a little bit. While I understand what you were getting at lets not kid ourselves, 12-0 is very impressive regardless of whether or not they are eligible for the post season. I think OSU is exactly where Urban wanted them to be at this point, and the stars are aligning quite nicely for a Big 10 dominated by OSU in the future.

It is OSU, they always get top flight recruits...7 wins or 12...Cooper proved that long ago, so recruiting is not my issue. Look at USC/Auburn how they fared short term after having those great seasons and on probation. Auburn ended up firing Bowden shortly thereafter and USC may not hang on to Kiffin that much longer as Stanford and Oregon have passed them by and keep in mind UCLA, who was atrocious not that long ago, including last season, beat them.
The whole recruiting angle is worthless when you talk about programs that are the traditional powers, unless you have a train wreck named Rich Rodriguez take over.

The one factor that was missing when Tressell was at OSU, is a Michigan program that was on the sharp decline, that is not the case today. If you think the stars are aligning for OSU, take a peek over at what Michigan has done off the field and what they will have coming back next season as well. Expect Gardner to challenge for BIG POY and if he is granted a medical redshirt from his freshman season, he will be there two more years. Michigan is much more dynamic with him at QB than Denard and that is not a rip on Denard.

The BIG is turning into a two horse race again, that is the simple truth and it could be as early as next year. I don't see Nebraska sustaining what they are doing with Pelini, at some point the players will stop believing in what he is selling, coaches who are that abrasive in college football today, don't last. If he doesn't change, look for the new AD to maybe request him to change, or make a change.

It is OSU, they always get top flight recruits...7 wins or 12...Cooper proved that long ago, so recruiting is not my issue. Look at USC/Auburn how they fared short term after having those great seasons and on probation. Auburn ended up firing Bowden shortly thereafter and USC may not hang on to Kiffin that much longer as Stanford and Oregon have passed them by and keep in mind UCLA, who was atrocious not that long ago, including last season, beat them.
The whole recruiting angle is worthless when you talk about programs that are the traditional powers, unless you have a train wreck named Rich Rodriguez take over.

The one factor that was missing when Tressell was at OSU, is a Michigan program that was on the sharp decline, that is not the case today. If you think the stars are aligning for OSU, take a peek over at what Michigan has done off the field and what they will have coming back next season as well. Expect Gardner to challenge for BIG POY and if he is granted a medical redshirt from his freshman season, he will be there two more years. Michigan is much more dynamic with him at QB than Denard and that is not a rip on Denard.

The BIG is turning into a two horse race again, that is the simple truth and it could be as early as next year. I don't see Nebraska sustaining what they are doing with Pelini, at some point the players will stop believing in what he is selling, coaches who are that abrasive in college football today, don't last. If he doesn't change, look for the new AD to maybe request him to change, or make a change.

Agreed completely. My point was in response to people saying that because of the post season suspension they really weren't playing for anything. They still won their division out-right, while going undefeated. IMO when your facing a post season ban it might be much easier to lose the focus and drop a game along the way.

In response to Michigan, I agree that Gardner is the real deal and everybit as dangerous as Robinson if not more. Hoke's definitely got this team on the right track, but lets also not forget that Urban just completed his first year and was still playing with Tressel recruits. I wouldn't be shocked if Urban still doesn't have quite the personnel in place that he would like. I think both teams are definitely on their way back to becoming the two headed monster of the Big 10, however I think at this point OSU is showing that they may have the upper hand.

Agreed completely. My point was in response to people saying that because of the post season suspension they really weren't playing for anything. They still won their division out-right, while going undefeated. IMO when your facing a post season ban it might be much easier to lose the focus and drop a game along the way.

In response to Michigan, I agree that Gardner is the real deal and everybit as dangerous as Robinson if not more. Hoke's definitely got this team on the right track, but lets also not forget that Urban just completed his first year and was still playing with Tressel recruits. I wouldn't be shocked if Urban still doesn't have quite the personnel in place that he would like. I think both teams are definitely on their way back to becoming the two headed monster of the Big 10, however I think at this point OSU is showing that they may have the upper hand.

I tend to agree with you, but Urban had to do less "retooling" than Hoke. Hoke is brining in bigger linemen (particularly on Defense) and has been recruiting those guys very well. I think tOSU will be on top, but Michigan will be nothing to sneeze at when Hoke gets all of his recruits in the two deep. Michigan is also recruiting at a VERY high level.

Unfortunately, there is a sizeable gap (in terms of recruiting) between these two teams and everyone else. I would expect that to continue. I see Michigan v OSU rematches in the future.

Bullcrap. The players love playing for him, they play hard for him because he has their back. He may not be able to match what Meyer or Hoke are doing, but he will not surrender the league to them. And he is not as abrasive as many would portray him to be.

Last edited:
Bullcrap. The players love playing for him, they play hard for him because he has their back. He may not be able to match what Meyer or Hoke are doing, but he will not surrender the league to them. And he is not as abrasive as many would portray him to be.

I refrain from placing my real thoughts of Pelini on this board as I will get banned. However, almost getting into fights on the sidelines does not bode well for him and I do not believe he will have sustained success.
He is getting a new boss soon, correct, was that guy on board with Pelini at the time of his hiring? Players can play hard for him and that is all well and good. How many coaches that have his sideline antics have sustained success, answer that question.
Kelly at ND was close to BP, but he has toned it way down, BP just said a couple of weeks ago that he will not change. I have zero respect for how BP conducts himself during a game, but if you as a bugeater love it, that is your preference.

Isn't Pelini 1-2 combined against Meyer/Hoke, who knows, had UM put Gardner back there when they were beginning to play better he could be 0-3...yeah, he isn't going to concede, but he isn't going to have a lot of wins against them.

Last edited:
I refrain from placing my real thoughts of Pelini on this board as I will get banned. However, almost getting into fights on the sidelines does not bode well for him and I do not believe he will have sustained success.
Almost getting into fights on the sideline? With who? Refs? Ok, dude is animated, he fights for his players.

He is getting a new boss soon, correct, was that guy on board with Pelini at the time of his hiring? Players can play hard for him and that is all well and good. How many coaches that have his sideline antics have sustained success, answer that question.
Not sure how he and the AD will get along, but as long as he is winning 10 games a year and is in the mix for the CCG and the stadium is full, he isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. Coaches with sustained success that are fiesty, well, off the top of my head, Saban, Kelly, Stoops. Have you even seen Muschamp on the sideline?

FWIW, Will Compton and PJ Smith held a press conference a couple of weeks ago in support of Pelini after ESPN put out that hit piece on Bo. I've heard press members that were on the sidelines say that Bo may be animated, but he isn't always chewing someone's ***. Many times the conversations are uplifting, along the lines of "You can make that play! You know what to do, and the next time, you'll get it done!"

Kelly at ND was close to BP, but he has toned it way down, BP just said a couple of weeks ago that he will not change. I have zero respect for how BP conducts himself during a game, but if you as a bugeater love it, that is your preference.
And if you haven't noticed, he has toned it down, a lot since last year. Heck, Ferentz went ballistic (for him) when he thought Vandenberg took a late hit in the last game. It happens.

Isn't Pelini 1-2 combined against Meyer/Hoke, who knows, had UM put Gardner back there when they were beginning to play better he could be 0-3...yeah, he isn't going to concede, but he isn't going to have a lot of wins against them.
The bolded is purely conjecture. There is no way to know what would have happened has Gardner been back there. If Hoke is as good as you think he is, he would've known that Gardner should have been the backup qb and would have been in the game, so there is that. Yes, as of now he is 1-2 against Meyer/Hoke. There is no way to tell how that will turn out in the future. Only time will tell.

Does Pelinis get put on the hot seat after that wonderful showing in the BIG championship against the third place team in the other division?

We don't agree on much here, but I am just do not believe Pelini will be there long-term.

As far as Hoke not putting Gardner in the NU game; pretty tough to put someone in when they haven't practiced it. I guess we will see how things develop over time and Gardner is probably going to get his fifth year to give the BIG fits for two seasons. Keep in mind that he was rated one of the best QB's coming out of HS.

I think you have yet to understand what BIG football is all about, but in the coming years you might, Rutgers/Maryland have no bearing on how BIG football will pan out. Everyone pubbed NU last season like they were great, guess again. Had Robinson not gotten hurt it is a different game, UM had the momentum back, but NU did what they had to do to win.

Look, I am by no means a fan of any BIG team, my family yes, but PSU was supposed to dominate the BIG and that definitely hasn't happened, it is going to take a lot for a program to establish dominance over OSU/UM, especially now that UM is well on their way to being UM again.

Does Pelinis get put on the hot seat after that wonderful showing in the BIG championship against the third place team in the other division?

We don't agree on much here, but I am just do not believe Pelini will be there long-term.
Is Pelini's seat hot? I'd say that our wonderful showing last Saturday didn't do him any favors in the eyes of his detractors. Personally, I don't know if he will be here for the long term. If he gets along with the new AD, wins 9-10 games a year, keeps the stadium full, it would be pretty stupid for the AD to get rid of him. We did that about 10 years ago and still haven't recovered.

I think you have yet to understand what BIG football is all about, but in the coming years you might, Rutgers/Maryland have no bearing on how BIG football will pan out. Everyone pubbed NU last season like they were great, guess again.
I'm not trying to be a smartazz, but I'd like to know what B1G football is all about. I'd like to have any insight you can give.

Had Robinson not gotten hurt it is a different game, UM had the momentum back, but NU did what they had to do to win.
Again, this is conjecture. And injuries are part of the game. Our #1 RB was out that game, and we dealt with it. Next man up.

Look, I am by no means a fan of any BIG team, my family yes, but PSU was supposed to dominate the BIG and that definitely hasn't happened, it is going to take a lot for a program to establish dominance over OSU/UM, especially now that UM is well on their way to being UM again.
Thats fine, I understand. As I stated in another thread, this Nebraska team is the least talented team we have had in my lifetime. Many people didn't expect us to win more than 6 or 7 games and even be in the CCG. I'm hoping that Pelini can recruit some good talent, and develop them into very good to great football players. No one knows how it will play out, we will just have to see.

Latest posts