Has Luka let his conditioning slide?

#1DieHardHawk

Just wanted to throw this out there for discussion, but has anyone else noticed Luka's deterioration in weight and conditioning over the past few weeks?

Out of curiosity, I went back and watched some of the UNC game for comparison (forgot to delete it on the DVR), and it became apparent that Luka has gained probably around 20 lbs, and not a good 20 lbs, over that past several weeks. No one will ever question his commitment to preparing physically through drills, etc., but I question if the Covid restrictions are leading to bad eating habits. It has to be a challenge for these guys when you're confined to your dorm rooms and everyone around you is ordering pizza and wolfing down snacks.

It's not a major deal, but is nevertheless negatively impacting his game. By comparison, he has become noticeably slower afoot and is struggling to elevate at the rim (he never had much of a vertical, but right now it's almost non-existent), which is adversely affecting his ability to rebound in traffic. His post moves and step-backs also look sluggish.

Obviously, he's not even close to being an issue for the team. He's the best player we've had in decades, but for this team to be a legitimate Final Four contender, we need him at the top of his game. Hopefully, he'll become aware and work at it heading into the post-season. Either way, this team is going to really miss him after this year. He's been special.

Just when I thought I had seen everything someone actually starts a negative thread about Garza...questioning his dedication and discipline no less.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning Luka at all. I think he's amazing, and probably the most dedicated player we've ever had.

It's just something that struck me as perhaps a consequence of the Covid restrictions, and I was curious if anyone else had noticed it.

double, triple, quadruple teams will wear anybody out. Relentless effort is his bread and butter and he knows it. Not really concerned.

Damning with faint praise goes back to Ancient Rome and Marc Antony. Get a life die hard. Thank you.

He's playing fewer minutes, because Nunge, Keegan and others have been effective enough to give him longer breaks. But it's making him even more productive when he's in there.

His FT% last year was 65.1, 3 point FG% was 35.8. This year he's improved to 75.5 and 46.2 respectively. His ppg have improved by three full points, and his fg% has improved as well, from 54.2 to 61.0.

If 20 lbs of excessive weight is the problem, perhaps he needs to put on another 20.. I would have to see more evidence before I declare that it is negatively impacting his game. The numbers, if anything, suggest the opposite, regardless of what the eye test may suggest.

He's averaging 26.9, 8.9 and shooting 61% from the field, 46.2% from the 3 point line, 11 points higher than last year. He's shooting 75% from the line, 10 points higher than last season. He is double and triple teamed constantly. No, I do not think he is deteriorating nor do I think his conditioning is an issue.

Sorry, guys. Seriously. My intent wasn't to hate on Luka at all, but on re-reading it, I can see how it can be taken that way. A couple of friends of mine that are B1G basketball fans mentioned it to me, so I went back and compared. Just found it interesting.

Sorry, guys. Seriously. My intent wasn't to hate on Luka at all, but on re-reading it, I can see how it can be taken that way. A couple of friends of mine that are B1G basketball fans mentioned it to me, so I went back and compared. Just found it interesting.
Seems your Big Ten fan friends are suffering from Garza envy.

It's possible he has gained weight, but at 22 years old, and playing as much basketball as they do, you would have to eat massive amounts to gain 20 lbs in season.

First of all, it seems like a stretch to say Luka looks like he has gained 20 pounds of so based off some taped game from earlier in the year. Seems to me he looks the same. If you think he is gassed earlier than usual, perhaps he dealing with a nagging injury we are unaware of. Secondly, you were kidding right about criticizing the most likely the National Player of the Year. As Plugs would say "c'mon man".

Maybe it's another cyst. It almost looks like his feet have gotten more flat over the last few weeks. Too bad lightning isn't here to confirm.

Covid restrictions are leading to bad eating habits. It has to be a challenge for these guys when you're confined to your dorm rooms and everyone around you is ordering pizza and wolfing down snacks.
This doesn't have anything to do with Luka, but I did want to comment on this. I coached a player in HS who is now playing D1 baseball and every time he goes back to school (out of state), he has to quarantine for 2 weeks. The school brings him 1 meal per day and he has to either eat once per day or order out. He says it makes him sluggish and all he does is eat and play video games. He will get expelled if he is seen out of his dorm by an RA or certain other school officials, so he doesn't get any exercise other than things he can do in his room.

Latest posts