Has Iowa Ever Had this Much Speed?

HawkWT

Between Parker, Powell, Smith, and Willies. I never remember this much speed on a single roster.

I would say for their time (I dont know if they recorded 40 yard dash times) that Willie Fleming and Bob Jeter were a fast tandem and there may have been a few other really fast guys on those teams.

As pure speed goes, the '08 team had four guys (Brodell, DJK, Chaney, Hampton) that could match the speed of those four, but their speed was used very differently by KOK than the speed of this group is used by GD.

There are different types of "speed", i.e., top-end, quick-start, level, etc.

Dwight and Banks had true track speed, i.e, not just 40-yard dash, or quick-start. Dwight was a Big Ten 100 champ and 200 runner-up.

Bob Sanders and Freddy Russell both had fast 40 times, as did DJK, Shumpert and a few others. Wegher supposedly had good 40 speed, but never looked as fast as (self) advertised. Brodell had track speed, but his feet didn't look "quick" like Powell or Parker. But over 100 or 200 meters, he may have been superior to them.

That said, we seem to have some good speed outside, as well as LBs and DBs that can move. But speed, no matter how great, is negated by things like poor hands, bad route-running, not seeing holes or not playing for proper position.

The 97 team also had Bashir Yamini. Him Dwight and Banks were all very fast, and were major track stars. Yamini and Dwight both played in the NFL following their careers at Iowa. The teams in 1958 and 1900 were also very fast. As is the 2014 team.

Between Parker, Powell, Smith, and Willies. I never remember this much speed on a single roster.

Agree ... and 3 of the 4 will be back next year and we will add Jay Scheel as a speed guy as a RS Freshman. The future looks bright.

As pure speed goes, the '08 team had four guys (Brodell, DJK, Chaney, Hampton) that could match the speed of those four, but their speed was used very differently by KOK than the speed of this group is used by GD.

I actually think the 2002 team was the best blend of speed and talent that ferentz has had at the skill position in one season. Fred Russell and jermelle Lewis could house at any point. I also remember cj "see you later" jones and Mo brown consistently taking short routes and screens for TDs that year. Not to mention the fastest TE and hard to argue we also had our fastest qb ever. That team was so much fun to watch.

The 97 team also had Bashir Yamini. Him Dwight and Banks were all very fast, and were major track stars. Yamini and Dwight both played in the NFL following their careers at Iowa. The teams in 1958 and 1900 were also very fast. As is the 2014 team.

Everyone forgets about Damon Gibson on that '97 team. Went on to have a productive 5-7 year NFL career had a two year stretch where he was just as productive as Dwight was in the NFL. The way I understood it was his initial 10 meter burst was faster than Banks/Dwight, but would be caught in a 100 meter dash.

Last edited:
May have been a little off on Damon Gibson only played 4 years and may had a fumbling issue. Wasn't really productive after his rookie year.

May have been a little off on Damon Gibson only played 4 years and may had a fumbling issue. Wasn't really productive after his rookie year.

Ronnie Harmon, Quinn Early, Robert Smith should be considered...Coach Fry did play the slow Halvetdon and Happel more than Early though. Quinn had the best NFL career of any Iowa receiver of the last 40 years... Guess ole coach played 'favorites'... Good thing message boards weren't around then.

Tony Stewart, Sean Smith, and Danan Hughes, and Antilla could all move. Mix in a mike Saunders, and a 240 pound bell that could house it....1990 wasn't too shabby

The argument could be made that Clyde Williams (1898-1900) was the fastest Iowa quarterback ever. He is in the Iowa track and field hall of fame. If not the fastest maybe the most athletic.