Has Any Quarterback Improved Under Ferentz?

SirJamaLot

Banks had one fabulous season and almost didn't get the chance. Tate was incredible as a sophomore, decent as a junior, and disappointing as a senior. Stanzi was awesome as a junior and only so-so as a senior. Vandy has definately regressed this season. Ferentz is incredible for developing lineman (both ways), tight ends, running backs (if they stay healthy or out of jail), and defensive backfield players, but I need someone to convince me that quarterbacks get better under his coaching staff.

Technically speaking Stanzi got better from 2009 to 2010.

SituationGAttCompPct.YardsTDIntRatingLong1st15+25+
All Plays1130417156.324171715131.6292965424
All Plays1334522164.13004256157.63701297323

This is a valid question. I don't have access to the numbers right now. I hope someone can dig them up.
I agree with OP. it just seems like our QBs don't improve over the long run. I can remember Stanzi improving after he replaced JC, but his senior year he seemed to regress from the prior year.
I have to wonder if it is the mentality of just managing the game that is emphasized versus going out and making plays that screws these guys up.
Anyone have any comparative numbers for QB improvement in the Ferentz era???

Anyone who thinks Stanzi was better as a junior than a senior automatically does not need to be taken seriously. Stanzi was an interception machine his junior year.

What was his record during his junior year? What was his record during his senior year?

Is it possible he was more effective at making plays, even though he turned the ball over, versus managing the game and not turning the ball over.
You can say what you want Ghost but it is still a valid question ... Do QBs improve under Ferentz?
Do you have the answer Ghost? If so please share. Provide stats to support your contribution.
Thanks!

No. I don't know off the top of my head. Sorry. Are you going to contribute anything or berate?
Can you answer the question with stats? Do QBs improve under Ferentz? Or are you resigned to berate people who don't post much, who don't have the stats memorized, etc.?

No. I don't know off the top of my head. Sorry. Are you going to contribute anything or berate?
Can you answer the question with stats? Do QBs improve under Ferentz? Or are you resigned to berate people who don't post much, who don't have the stats memorized, etc.?

Technically speaking Stanzi got better from 2009 to 2010.

All Plays1130417156.324171715131.6292965424
All Plays1334522164.13004256157.63701297323

Anyone who thinks Stanzi was better as a junior than a senior automatically does not need to be taken seriously.

Brad banks. He went from knowing 10 plays and being worse than McCann to getting 2nd in the heisman. Still not sure why he learned so slow throughout his junior year then so fast before his senior year, but I'm pretty sure that's just more evidence of how well they developed him.

What was his record during his junior year? What was his record during his senior year?

Completely irrelevant.

Wins & Losses are a team stat, not a quarterback stat.

I don't know why people can't understand this.

To answer the OP, I alluded to this issue in a thread I started yesterday, that I am concerned about our QB development, or lack thereof. Stanzi being an exception.

What about all other QBs in the Ferentz era? After all that is the subject of the post and a valid point. JC did not improve. Vandenburg has not improved. Tate regressed (but was injured). It is worth looking at the whole picture.
It is a good question by the OP and remains unanswered, but for Stanzi.

Brad banks. He went from knowing 10 plays and being worse than McCann to getting 2nd in the heisman. Still not sure why he learned so slow throughout his junior year then so fast before his senior year, but I'm pretty sure that's just more evidence of how well they developed him.

As Jon has said before Banks couldn't play more his junior year because he only knew 10 plays, his senior year he knew 12 plays and we all know how that turned out. He didn't imporve, he just learned two more plays, and they were a couple of damn good plays.

Completely irrelevant.

Wins & Losses are a team stat, not a quarterback stat.

I don't know why people can't understand this.

To answer the OP, I alluded to this issue in a thread I started yesterday, that I am concerned about our QB development, or lack thereof. Stanzi being an exception.

Sorry guy, the fact that we lost a bunch of studs from the 2004 defense and the team cratered in 2005 is prima facie evidence Tate was terrible in 2005. And the fact that we lost 3 key defensive guys to the draft after 2009 and the D gagged causing us a bunch of losses means Stanzi was awful in 2010. Learn the game, bud.

Guys like Dutch excel in all facets of their lives and the thought of a college football team out in the middle of nowhere having narrow windows in which to actually win big games really chaps them.

What about all other QBs in the Ferentz era? After all that is the subject of the post and a valid point. JC did not improve. Vandenburg has not improved. Tate regressed (but was injured). It is worth looking at the whole picture.
It is a good question by the OP and remains unanswered, but for Stanzi.

Banks, Chandler, Stanzi. That's the list. It took about three seconds of mind wrestling to come up with that one.

It was not a good question by the OP, because it has an easy answer.

Anyone who thinks Stanzi was better as a junior than a senior automatically does not need to be taken seriously. Stanzi was an interception machine his junior year.

He was less of a winner as a senior therefore worse QB. Maybe he had better stats but his intangibles rating definitely fell. And you need a QB with good intangibles, his clutch rating also fell about 50%. He couldn't finish games.

He was less of a winner as a senior therefore worse QB. Maybe he had better stats but his intangibles rating definitely fell. And you need a QB with good intangibles, his clutch rating also fell about 50%. He couldn't finish games.

In NCAA 2010 on mah X-Box, his USA rating went down from a 96 to a 82. At first I was mad, but it was clear those EA guys scout these players really well. Stanzi clearly loved himself moar than America that last year, and it showed on the field.

He was less of a winner as a senior therefore worse QB. Maybe he had better stats but his intangibles rating definitely fell. And you need a QB with good intangibles, his clutch rating also fell about 50%. The defense couldn't finish games.

FIFY.

Okay Ghost, so that leaves the other half of QBs who have not improved (JC, Tate, Vandenberg, and can we throw in McCann while are at it?). It still begs the question why haven't half of the the QBs regressed statistically. I don't know the answer.

OK4P - I don't get too worked up over Iowa football. I don't profess to have a narrow view of Iowa football. I only admit I don't know everything and if there is an interesting point it is worth following up. In terms if wins and losses during Stanzi's senior year, there were notable changes to the defense. The same could be said for Tate, in terms of wins and losses during his senior year. I'll accept the wins an loss stat is a team stat, not a QB stat.
So, OK4P then your conclusion or this year, so far is a total team failure? Yes?

Okay Ghost, so that leaves the other half of QBs who have not improved (JC, Tate, Vandenberg, and can we throw in McCann while are at it?). It still begs the question why haven't half of the the QBs regressed statistically. I don't know the answer.

Neither do I. That wasn't the question though. Nor is it breaking news or a worthy topic to discuss now. We already know Kyle McCann sucked, and we already know JVB is spiraling. I have no desire to discuss 8 year old topics. We can sit here pondering the meaning of righteous suffering like Bildad, Zophar, and that other guy, or we can go back to talking about Kurt's paycheck.

Latest posts