Harsh words from AOL Fanhouse

The biggest problem with the two minute offense has been the offensive line. I think in each loss, we have had sacks on our final drive. Saturday, Rick has 3 seconds to throw despite a simple 4 man rush.

Retooling the O line this year has gone about as smoothly as I feared.

Bingo, we have a winner. When the defense know a pass is coming, we haven't been able to block them. Plain and simple. Last year's o-line was much better than this year's. Also, last year's passing d (meaning LB's and DB's) were much better than this year's. That explains the big turnaround in the results of two minute offense and defense. The simplest answer is most times correct.

I disagree about the O-Line-- of the all ? marks coming into this season, the biggest ? that turned into a ! was the O-line--- the 2 minute drill offense has been bad all around, and that includes Vets like Stanzi, Mc Nutt, DJK, etc.

i think many of us, i included, completely overlooked the loss of Spievey, Angerer, Edds---- then not to mention the mountain of injuries with this years secondary. We were very spoiled last year with our defense.

That's an added reason Sash and Greenwood aren't "looking as good" because they're much more responsible for backing up 2ndary compared to last year when our 2ndary had that covered VERY well.

Also, i think many of us, I included, did not consider the loss of Norm Parker and now a glaring loss for the defense

this was a straight up team effort disappointing season in all reality, another poster summed it well in another thread-- from coaches, to offense, to defense, to special teams, hell it looks like the water boy didn't do a good job either LOL

Defense? Better get someone to call the offense, and get someone to light a fire, period. Other than MSU game, this team looks like they expect to lose and just hope not to.

Maybe we can get a an asst. head coach of clock management. Then, we can get asst. coords to help them call the plays. Then, maybe, we can be better as a coaching staff. Then, let's give them all raises, while they're at it.

Yep, both Iowa's two minute offense and defense are bad - didn't Iowa lose to Illinios in 2008?

What's the problem on offense? I'd say it's average receivers who can't make a play when their defense expects a pass - yeah, there was that MSU aberration in 2008. On that play, McNutt used his size which is his greatest strength.

What's the problem on defense? I'd say it's the pass defense - a weak spot in Parker's defense since he came here.

To the thread...
How do we correct this trend of losing more of the close games?
Some wise man once said: (a great defense) wins championships.
Fix the pass defense.
Alabama won last year with a mediocre offense...

Can we convince Kirk to think about making some of these changes?
If there's status quo, the problem will remain.
Is this a drastic enough situation where you could consider a different coach?

So much wrong here it's hard to know where to start. But they say a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, so here we go.

1. Yes, they did. The offense brought the team back from 15 points down in the 4th to tie the game. It was the defense that let Illinois get into field goal range with 40 seconds or so to go. If people are going to complain about Iowa's two minute offense, you can't use that game as an example.

Iowa's pass defense by year, starting in 2001

1. 53rd
2. 37th
3. 24th
4. 17th
5. 77th
6. 45th
7. 35th
8. 5th
9. 3rd

Through last year, that averages out to 34th nationally, just outside the top 1/3 of the country.

Through last week, Iowa is 20th nationally in pass defense. Your assertion that it's been a problem is false. You can sort through it yourself if you want.

2010 Iowa Football Ranking Summary

It's been basically the same game over and over this year.

Other team scores late to make it a one possesion game.
We miss a chance to ice the game and go 3 and out.
Long TD drive by the opposing team.
Terrible two minute offense.
And that's the game.

Throw in some terrible kick offs and kick off coverage and that's the story of Iowa's season.

EXACTLY!!! I posted a similar thing on another thread but I was truly ticked off when Ferentz expressed to McDonough that others placed those high expectations on his team and not him...Well Kirk why do we pay you $4MM a year? To win conference championships baby and if you don't think others should have expectations of you or your football team then maybe Iowa shoud re-visit your contract because you should have NO expectation to be paid that much for 7-4 or 6-6 particularly with the talent you had this year.
Hey can we possibly try and cover extra wideouts with DBs instead of LBs? How about we try that on obvious passing downs or is that not basic enough for us. Hey O'Keefe if you can't run a quick 2 minute offense with a 5th year Sr. when can you run one. Hint for O'Keefe when you speed things up the other team can't substitute and you can get mismatches which, oddly enough, helps you score and win games.

So much wrong here it's hard to know where to start. But they say a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, so here we go.

1. Yes, they did. The offense brought the team back from 15 points down in the 4th to tie the game. It was the defense that let Illinois get into field goal range with 40 seconds or so to go. If people are going to complain about Iowa's two minute offense, you can't use that game as an example.

Iowa's pass defense by year, starting in 2001

1. 53rd
2. 37th
3. 24th
4. 17th
5. 77th
6. 45th
7. 35th
8. 5th
9. 3rd

Through last year, that averages out to 34th nationally, just outside the top 1/3 of the country.

Through last week, Iowa is 20th nationally in pass defense. Your assertion that it's been a problem is false. You can sort through it yourself if you want.

2010 Iowa Football Ranking Summary

Hey Shada's revenge we might be 34th nationally on pass D but that refers to the amount of yds given up not the QB's passing percentage. If you look at that in conjunction with yds we have to be in the bottom 3rd. Persa threw like 50 times and only had about 3 incompletions. Just because you don't give up pass plays in chunks doesn't mean you have a good pass D. Given up 6,7, or 8 yds per/pass and giving up a high percentage of 3rd downs means you don't have a good pass D.

Hey Shada's revenge we might be 34th nationally on pass D but that refers to the amount of yds given up not the QB's passing percentage. If you look at that in conjunction with yds we have to be in the bottom 3rd. Persa threw like 50 times and only had about 3 incompletions. Just because you don't give up pass plays in chunks doesn't mean you have a good pass D. Given up 6,7, or 8 yds per/pass and giving up a high percentage of 3rd downs means you don't have a good pass D.

Fine. Find that stat for me; it isn't listed on that website. I was refuting the notion that Iowa's pass defense is a problem. Persa was one of the most accurate QB's in the country; what he did against Iowa wasn't anything out of the ordinary for him.

For the record, Persa was 31-42 on the day, and 34th is average from 2001 through 2009.

Unfortunately, Norm's health is going to continue to be an issue and that's too bad he's a class guy and was really on his game before he got hospitalized and we just never rebounded defensively and of course O'Keefe's gimp offense couldn't possess the ball enough to win a couple of games and cover Norm's back. it's a shame really.

The 4th down scramble was going to happen and OSU totally planned that play because they knew AC would sell out to try to make a play. If you watch the replay, he goes wide and the tackle takes him that way and then the double team guy comes in to push him farther past Pryor. That was it.

A good D Coordinator would have called TO and made sure the D Linemen stayed at home on that play. Clayborn has been selling out at the end of games all season. It was obvious that would happen. OSU knew it, why didn't Iowa?

Also, with respect to retooling the line, Iowa was doing fine once MacMillan got in the line-up. I think they would also have done fine with Gettis, but Koepel was a complete mismatch. Accordingly, they should have schemed to limit that liability in the 2 minute drill. Nonetheless, the lined Stanzi up under center, one foot away from the weakest spot on the entire offense and OSU exploited it. OSU knew that was a spot to exploit, why didn't Iowa?

What should Iowa have done? 1) Put Stanzi in shotgun 2) Roll the pocket. Pretty freaking rudimentary.

Hey Shadas Revenge so what you are saying is because we knew he was an accurate passer we should just expect it and NOT try anything to disrupt him? That's brilliant!

Additionally, 34th isn't that great given our studs on the D line and the fact that the Big 10 isn't a wide open pass happy conference like the WAC or some other conferences so all I'm saying is that it isn't like you can just look at yards and determine we're 34th best. Hell we didn't stop Wisconsin on land, sea or air.

My point was that Persa was good and so was Chapell by the way because we don't do anything to stop the dink and dunk passing game of the likes of Indiana or NW.

Hey Shadas Revenge so what you are saying is because we knew he was an accurate passer we should just expect it and NOT try anything to disrupt him? That's brilliant!

That's a clever interpretation. If you can find a stat somewhere that says Persa (or any other QB that has played against Iowa) had a significantly better day than normal, I'd love to see it.

Persa was completing better than 70% of his passes before the Iowa game.

Last edited:
Additionally, 34th isn't that great given our studs on the D line and the fact that the Big 10 isn't a wide open pass happy conference like the WAC or some other conferences so all I'm saying is that it isn't like you can just look at yards and determine we're 34th best. Hell we didn't stop Wisconsin on land, sea or air.

What part of average between 2001 and 2009 is difficult for you to understand?

1. Shada is 100% correct.

2. Why are we talking about AOL Fanhouse? I don't put much more stock in them than I do Bleacher Report.

Ok boys try these numbers on for size since you can't see the forest through the trees. 4 of the last 5 games opposing Qbs have completed almost 70% of their passes (66.6% to be exact) and in those same games those teams are 53% in 3rd or 4th down efficiency...yes I did find those stats...so you think giving up a 70% completion percentage is top notch Pass D Shada's R. You can go back to smoking whatever it is you have been tonight.

Oh and that includes the venerable T. Pryor who does NOT have great career completion numbers.

Ok boys try these numbers on for size since you can't see the forest through the trees. 4 of the last 5 games opposing Qbs have completed almost 70% of their passes (66.6% to be exact) and in those same games those teams are 53% in 3rd or 4th down efficiency...yes I did find those stats...so you think giving up a 70% completion percentage is top notch Pass D Shada's R. You can go back to smoking whatever it is you have been tonight.

Interesting. But you still haven't answered my question. I'll even highlight it for you. Again.

That's a clever interpretation. If you can find a stat somewhere that says Persa (or any other QB that has played against Iowa) had a significantly better day than normal, I'd love to see it.

Persa was completing better than 70% of his passes before the Iowa game.

That's because it doesn't deserve an answer. He had his average day so what's your point? And speaking of clever interpretation if we are so all fired good against the pass shouldn't we have done better than average on a crappy day defensively speaking? Usually weather accounts for some drops and he still had his average day.

Latest posts