Harsh reality

Careful, you're going to piss off the Kirk apologists and the "be happy we got 10 wins crowd because wins are what matters most" crowd.
Nothing new to see here. Same oh, same oh.

Nineteen years without a conference championship. Let’s shoot for twenty-five years and keep it going.

Kirk really needs to let go of his control freak mind set. Just go out and get a OC who knows how to generate a competitive offense. Let Parker be Parker and it will all be good.

Something has to change: Michigan, Oregon, Ohio State, Washington, USC, Penn State, UCLA, Wisconsin, Iowa. We are looking at finishing between sixth and ninth place beginning next year and for the foreseeable future, unless our offense is reborn.

Last edited:
The most glaring problem personnel wise has been the QB position the last 4 years. There are other concerns, but QB stands out. Obviously, the offensive coordination plays a part in that. I asked Co-Pilot, What physical abilities does a college quarterback need? . When you compare the Iowa QB's against the list of abilities it really seems to indicate the inability to identify the talent needed for the position. It is what got BF fired.
"
According to some sources, a college quarterback needs to have a combination of physical abilities and intangible qualities to succeed at the next level. Some of the physical abilities include:

Some of the intangible qualities include:

Of course, different college coaches may have different preferences and expectations for their quarterbacks, depending on the system they run and the style of play they favor. However, these are some of the essential attributes that a QB must have to play at the college level."

Careful, you're going to piss off the Kirk apologists and the "be happy we got 10 wins crowd because wins are what matters most" crowd.
Kirk is totally to blame for this non-existent offense. He seems to be locked in the sixties. Good for rock and roll, not so much for football. The offensive line coach needs to be shown the door also.

Finishing last in CFB offense two years running is objective proof that what Kirk is doing on offense is not working.
The question is, and has been for years, what will Kirk do about it?

On the bright side, Iowa is closer to being competitive going forward than a lot of BIG teams. They are one good OC hire away and know of the glaring deficiency. One area to get fixed. I agree KF hire a new OC and let that coach go. PP has the D solid .and Lavar has the ST solid. One phase away. Correct it.

Glass half ful thinking.

We did beat most teams we were capable of.

And lost to two we weren't.

Even with a competent offense I don't think we beat the nits or Michigan.
Most indeed. Really should beat Minnesota at home.
Our two games this year against better than average talent we lost both with a combined score of 57 to 0. This is a more realistic stat of where we are instead of the 10 wins IMHO.
We used to play less games so 10 is not quite what it used to. Used to play 12 games including the bowl so 10 was a bit more of an achievement. Hitting that usually meant 1 loss. 10 out of 13 is still double digits but not like when you had the final top 25 teams only 9 or ten of them hit double digits before the bowl games. 19 this year including 5 teams with 12 wins.

Agree....but no way a 57-0 spread. One or two posession game expected and needed

Finishing last in CFB offense two years running is objective proof that what Kirk is doing on offense is not working.
The question is, and has been for years, what will Kirk do about it?
What needs done is OL coach gone. OL got better as year went on, mostly run blocking but still suspect. Need a QB who can step up and run. This slows down a pass rush when that threat is there.

I dunno.
Iowa's offense awarded Michigan 10 points.
Let's also give them 3 points in the differential when they coughed up the ball on the short field. Take away the 7 points coughed up by the punt return (as good as that kid did running him down)...DeJean doesn't let that guy loose.

Corum was held in check.
McCarthy was largely ineffective, and spent some time on his back.
The Michigan offense didn't find the endzone unless they were starting from 6 yards or less.

Granted, Michigan didn't HAVE to do much. Outside of one drive, they couldn't do much. And that drive only netted 3.

Last edited:
On the bright side, Iowa is closer to being competitive going forward than a lot of BIG teams. They are one good OC hire away and know of the glaring deficiency. One area to get fixed. I agree KF hire a new OC and let that coach go. PP has the D solid .and Lavar has the ST solid. One phase away. Correct it.

Glass half ful thinking.
There's no chance with Kirk. Iowa cracked the top 50 offenses 3 times in 25 years, a new OC isn't going to fix that.

Over the next few years, with the expansion of the B10, Iowa is about to get crushed. Its not going to be pretty. Kiss any championship opportunities goodbye.

I have said it for at least two years. The offensive line sucks. As a previous poster said fire the oline coach. He should have been fired first but we know Kirk is not going to do that. Our quarterback for most of the year if not all of the year has been terrible. We need a good offensive coordinator who knows how to develop quarterbacks. I know it’s not going to happen but Brian should probably be the number one pick for oline coach. I don’t know who the offensive coordinator should be but he needs to be given complete control of the offense. Make the right hire and keep Phil happy and you’re right there. The defense is outstanding and everyone in the college football world knows it.

There's no chance with Kirk. Iowa cracked the top 50 offenses 3 times in 25 years, a new OC isn't going to fix that.

Over the next few years, with the expansion of the B10, Iowa is about to get crushed. Its not going to be pretty. Kiss any championship opportunities goodbye.
There is absolutely a chance but Kirk does have to do something that all of us believe that he’s never done before. Give complete control to the right man to run the offense. It’s very simple but not necessarily easy for him.

I really don't understand how you can honestly have this takeaway after watching the games. Michigan scored three field goals without help from Deacon and awful punt coverage. Allar and McCarthy are not otherworldly quarterbacks. Both are overrated, and I'd go so far as to say that Allar isn't very good at all. Do we win both games? Probably not. But I think it's more likely that we split than lose both, and there's a non-zero chance we are 13-0 right now with an average offense.

I'll go one step further here, I think there's a solid chance we win last night if Kirk had taken a look at his quarterback room and given whoever else looks best other than Deacon the start against Nebraska and last night. We almost certainly win with an offense that 1. doesn't turn the ball over, and 2. can score 14-20 points. Deacon has proven again and again that he cannot do the second, and even when BF resolves not to even bother trying to score points, Deacon even fails at the first. Rolling him out is malpractice. Deacon ain't it. Neither he nor Petras belong on a P5 roster. Blah blah "you aren't at practice," I don't care. No reason not to have gone to the bullpen with nothing to lose in week 13 with the West locked up. Beathard was buried on the roster once upon a time--that's the only evidence I need to know that I don't care at all for Kirk's QB evaluation. Get dudes on the field and see who shows up.

I'm so over putting the dude out there with the "best leadership." Our offense doesn't need leadership, it needs to score points. Being the most mature dude in the QB room isn't relevant when you suck at playing football. I believe whole heartedly that we would have more likely than not won at least ten, and maybe one more game, if we hadn't picked up the back-up to Graham Mertz's back-up in the transfer portal this offseason.

Last edited:
I really don't understand how you can honestly have this takeaway after watching the games. Michigan scored three field goals without help from Deacon and awful punt coverage. Allar and McCarthy are not otherworldly quarterbacks. Both are overrated, and I'd go so far as to say that Allar isn't very good at all. Do we win both games? Probably not. But I think it's more likely that we split than lose both, and there's a non-zero chance we are 13-0 right now with an average offense.

I'll go one step further here, I think there's a solid chance we win last night if Kirk had taken a look at his quarterback room and given whoever else looks best other than Deacon the start against Nebraska and last night. We almost certainly win with an offense that 1. doesn't turn the ball over, and 2. can score 14-20 points. Deacon has proven again and again that he cannot do the second, and even when BF resolves not to even bother trying to score points, Deacon even fails at the first. Rolling him out is malpractice. Deacon ain't it. Neither he nor Petras belong on a P5 roster. Blah blah "you aren't at practice," I don't care. No reason not to have gone to the bullpen with nothing to lose in week 13 with the West locked up. Beathard was buried on the roster once upon a time--that's the only evidence I need to know that I don't care at all for Kirk's QB evaluation. Get dudes on the field and see who shows up.

I'm so over putting the dude out there with the "best leadership." Our offense doesn't need leadership, it needs to score points. Being the most mature dude in the QB room isn't relevant when you suck at playing football. I believe whole heartedly that we would have more likely than not won at least ten, and maybe one more game, if we hadn't picked up the back-up to Graham Mertz's back-up in the transfer portal this offseason.
I agree that the Ferentzes model of evaluating quarterbacks is lacking. The examples that stick out to me are McCann starting when we had Banks on the sideline. Christensen playing when Stanzi was clearly the better option. Quarterback development has been an issue for Kirks entire time at Iowa. Is there one quarterback that was better their senior year than their first start? I don’t think so. Tate looked like a superstar in the making his first year as the starter. We would be competing for the national championship if we had a decent offense. I believe Michigan had one drive for three points. Everything else was handed to them.

Is there one quarterback that was better their senior year than their first start?

I don't disagree with your fundamental assessment, but I think Stanzi got better every year. Dunno about statistically, but he improved for sure every year on decision making.

Latest posts