Harbaugh field trip has been cancelled

The expansion of 20 into a 4 lane road was like winning the "Ghetto Lottery" for a bunch of people. The government used eminent domain to take some land, but you still had your farm. People got a cash influx in pretty hard times. A guy down the road from us who farmed land that became the new highway 20 and got some land taken. Dude bought a new Firebird and probably had the whole check spent within a week.
Same thing happened to IA60's expansion. There was a local cattle guy outside of Sheldon who had a few cattle and some land...he was flush but otherwise didn't have a pot to piss in.

The way the highway went it took a ridiculous amount of his ground (proportionally) and as luck would have it went right through all three of his pens and his fairly new feed storage bunker and equipment. This was back when land up here was up north of $20,000 per acre, plus capital equipment, plus future earnings which I'm sure were made out to be better than actual.

He put up the first million dollar house in Sheldon, started his own custom feed mill, bought his daughter a bridal store, paid for his son to start up a seed dealership, and as icing on the cake recently sold the feed mill to Kent for what I'm sure was eight figures.

I credit the guy for making that money earn him even more, but it's a fact that without the highway coming through he'd still be scooping shit in a skid loader today and hoping he could pay this month's feed bill.

What a lovely drive that must be. You get to drive right past my old stomping grounds in Coalville.

I have a good buddy up in Chicago who was from Mansfield, OH. We used to crush brews and shoot the shit in the office after work and one day I made the bold proclamation that there is no east west highway as shitty as Highway 20 (we excluded interstates, just highways). He objected and said Highway 30 was shittier. After analyzing the towns each traverse, we concluded 20 was probably slightly worse, as it had Durty Dodge, Waterloo, Rockford, Gary, South Bend. Lot of up and coming towns. 30 is pretty bad, too, though. The smells on 30 from Cedar Rapids and Clinton make it pretty bad, and Marshalltown brings it down a peg, but it misses Gary.
US 20 between Dubuque and Freeport IL has some of the most spectacular scenery in the Midwest, for those who are into that sort of thing.

Welp, 3 cases in Johnson county officially now. Glad I stocked up on shit when I did