Happier with a 5 then 4 seed?

I agree with most of your sentiments and hear what you're saying, but I have to agree with mopkins - Iowa has little to gain and a lot more to lose by playing a game with Nebby/PSU on Thursday. But just as long as the team shows up the way its been these past few weeks, it won't matter.
Thats very true. And if I'm being honest if Iowa woulda ended up with the 4 seed I'd have been fired up for it and not had any qualms about it. So long as status quo keeps up we shouldn't have to worry so much as be fired up to see them play.

I would have seen a 4 seed everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. But its not the end of the world.

To win a tournament, most teams will eventually have to play a top seed anyway, so to me it really doesn't matter. I'm glad they may get a chance to play Wisky as it could be a springboard going into the NCAA. It's a good year to have to play the top seed in your conference as all that can happen is it could better your seed & not knock you off a bubble. It's a good year to have Wisky in the bracket, IMO. Nothing to lose but something to gain if win.

If only looking at the 4 or 5 seed as the OP suggests, it is obvious that the 4 seed is the best... If Iowa has to play Wisconsin on Saturday, I'd rather be playing the 2nd game in 2 days rather than 3rd in 3 days.

This is what I was going to say. And I want to win the tournament not win 1 game or 2 games. For this tournament to really have any NCAA benefit (seed, confidence, etc.) we have to beat Wisconsin and/or win the championship. I'm hoping the winner of Illinois/Michigan gets crazy hot from 3 and sends Wisconsin home...with the current 4 in 4 days scenario.

The best part about playing Thursday is we get to watch them play Thursday.

When talking to my Hawk friends I have consistently said this is the only positive. We may get to see 1 more Iowa game this way. Of course I have to take Thursday afternoon off in addition to Friday afternoon now.

Assuming that we'd lose to Wisky either way, doesn't the 5 seed give us a chance for an extra win?

Assuming that we'd lose to Wisky either way, doesn't the 5 seed give us a chance for an extra win?

Yes. But it also gives us another chance for someone to sprain an ankle, etc. As others have said I see no benefit to playing an extra game against a bad team...no upside but a ton of downside if someone gets hurt or we somehow lose the game.

But I still believe Iowa can play 4 in 4 days and win it. Wisconsin, Iowa and Maryland are playing the best ball right now IMO. If I'm not allowed to pick Wisconsin I would take Iowa and Maryland against the field.

I for one am anyway. For one I'm not scared of either team they'll end up playing. For two this team is built for tourny style ball. They are deeper and just keep coming at you. Can play inside out. Their confidence is through the roof right now. I think waiting that extra day to play wouldn't have benefited us. I also think this team can get rusty. I'd rather they keep the momentum going and play. Wisky is about the only team I have little confidence in us beating. The rest I think have shown are vulnerable and we are as hot as anyone.

In fact putting myself in the other teams shoes I'd say outside Wisky, Iowa is the one school nobody wants to be lined up against. With White hitting 3s now it's just a huge game changer. If he'd have been doing that all year long holy smokes...
Holy Smokes! White wisp of smokes going to the rim or above the rim or shooting three!

I would have liked to have played on Friday instead of Thursday - not worried about rust due to 1 extra day off - I find it funny that people were worried about our legs this past week against IU, but now are worried about rust.. LOL.

That said, I don't have any real problem with playing that extra game, just so long as Iowa doesn't lose to PSU/Nebby and end up dropping to that 8/9 line for the big dance.. Not that I am all that worried about it, but getting the double bye guarantees (90% anyway) that a loss would be a Top 4-5 seed opponent. This is the main reason I'd have preferred a 4, plus not having to play 4-in-4 to win the BTT.

As for the match ups, I'm pretty happy with the way it shook out. PSU/Nebby, and then Purdue.. I'd rather have that than Minny, NW, MSU, etc. I know we just beat NW by 17, but I still am glad we don't have to play them again. Iowa hasn't had a great track record against NW, and they're playing much better than someone like Nebby or PSU, IMO. Minnesota is jekyll & hyde - never know which team will show up: The one that won @MSU, or the one who lost at home to PSU.

Wisconsin isn't ideal if you're looking to win the BTT, but nothing to lose there.

And don't forget that with the B1G Tournament at the United Center in Chicago, it's practically a home game for them. It will be easy for them to get a crowd.

And don't forget that with the B1G Tournament at the United Center in Chicago, it's practically a home game for them. It will be easy for them to get a crowd.
I'd also like to think Iowa can get a nice crowd there too. Wisky fans will prolly own the joint. But think our fans won't disapoint.

Just my opinion, but whether its a preseason tourney, conference tourney, NIT, or NCAA I want to see us winning and advancing. I also like seeing us with favorable matchups. In my honest opinion I'd rather see us in the opposite bracket then Wiscy with the potential of meeting them in the championship. I think we're a deeper team and that benefits us more playing them after they've played more then back to back days. I think they're the more skilled team and I think our best chance would be to play them later, despite the fact we'd be playing an extra game. They're by far the more skilled team, but I think we're deeper.

Just my opinion, but whether its a preseason tourney, conference tourney, NIT, or NCAA I want to see us winning and advancing. I also like seeing us with favorable matchups. In my honest opinion I'd rather see us in the opposite bracket then Wiscy with the potential of meeting them in the championship. I think we're a deeper team and that benefits us more playing them after they've played more then back to back days. I think they're the more skilled team and I think our best chance would be to play them later, despite the fact we'd be playing an extra game. They're by far the more skilled team, but I think we're deeper.

I'm sure the Iowa basketball players would love another shot at Wisconsin. I'd rather have the four seed because its a lot easier to prepare the team to play. Purdue and Michigan State were both fortunate to beat Iowa on the days they played them. White had a stinger at Purdue, and the Michigan State guard got unconscious from three point range. Its to bad that Purdue will have more opportunity to prepare for Iowa in the tournament. Painter seems like an intelligent guy, and Purdue needs a big win for their team to get into the NCAA tournament. He will probably focus on Iowa.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Iowa basketball players would love another shot at Wisconsin. I'd rather have the four seed because its a lot easier to prepare the team to play. Purdue and Michigan State were both fortunate to beat Iowa on the days they played them. White had a stinger at Purdue, and the Michigan State guard got unconscious from three point range. Its to bad that Purdue will have more opportunity to prepare for Iowa in the tournament. Painter seems like an intelligent guy, and Purdue needs a big win for their team to get into the NCAA tournament. He will probably focus on Iowa.

I agree that I'm sure the players would like another shot at Wiscy. Which is another reason I'd love to see it a championship. There's a huge difference giving everything you have physically and emotionally. While I think we'd have a shot at them in the semi's I think being that mentally and physically drained could put us at a disadvantage entering the championship. With a day off like March Madness I don't think it would be such a factor, but with less then 24 hrs. between games it could be.

I'd also like to think Iowa can get a nice crowd there too. Wisky fans will prolly own the joint. But think our fans won't disapoint.

While I agree with you, only the Northwestern students can decide an hour before game time that they want to attend the game and then do it.

The 5 seed is awful. We are given the opportunity to get another bad loss. We must win 2 games to have any positives added to our resume for the NCAA tourney.

4 would be better. Doesn't matter that much.

I would rather play Wisconsin in semis rather than the Sunday game.

I totally agree with the OP... I think we got a great seed and the way its sits now, our match-ups are in our favor for the first two rounds for sure. The only thing is we will have to play Wisky to get to the championship and that is also ok because it gets us ready to play the best teams in the NCAA tourney. We as a program haven't been this excited for post season play for a long time and I for one want to enjoy every minute of it.

Frankly, if we get past first two games, I would RATHER play Wisconsin on Saturday vs. Sunday. If they jump out to a lead on Saturday, we have motivation to get back in the game.

Sunday? Wiscy is playing for a "sweep" or regular season title AND BTT title. We might go into "shut it down for the tourney" mode if they jump on us early on Sunday.

And the way they completely pulled away and blew out O$U scares me. We can go on runs, but we also tend to give up runs. Wiscy goes and cruise control and demoralizes you.

Latest posts