Hampton torn ACL- out season

It happened a lot to guys on PED's, but HGH is what they take to combat that. HGH strengthens their tendons and ligaments so that they can support the increase in muscle. I think we might be onto something here. I mean I remember Russell had HUGE thighs, even though he didn't get hurt. AY was also really thick in the lower body. Jermelle was just a beast, size wise. I'm not sure this is the problem, but the injuries on that front are really piling up.

Could one of you who understand PED/HGH pm me? I do not, and would like a little info on it.

In general, I think you see an increase in injuries in sports these days because guys are so much fitter, stronger, and faster. They've stretched their bodies as far as possible, and it doesn't take as much for something to break down.

I don't buy the PED/HGH arguement. I tore mine, and haven't done any of those. I think what is happen is we are having the first generations of kids come through that have extensively lifted weights while kids. Their muscular systems have outgrown their skeletal systems and consequently they are ripping their joints apart.

I have a friend that this happened to. He was identified as having the potential to be of olympic caliber with regards to his endurance sport at a young age. Hit weights, not seriously but more so than the average kid before puberty. Problem is, he never grew that much, was no more than 5'5". HIs club coach told his college coach "no weights", the college coach didn't listen, and he started getting arthritic joints & had to quit the sport.

This is essentially what Michael Phelps coach, Bowmann, avoided. Phelps didn't hit weights until before the Beijing olympics, for the exact fear with which I have described above. Now that he has finished growing, and knows what his frame can handle, he can afford to put weight on without these fears.

For these reasons, I think the propensity for ACL injuries in football & basketball players in the last 10 years is the fact that we have overwhelmed our evolutionary skeletal capacity.

If this is true & when it is officially announced, I am triple confirming that Wegher magically decides that he wants to play football again in 5...4...3...2...1

Are you saying that he left the team because he thought he wouldn't be playing because of the depth chart? I don't think so. There are definitely other reasonS he is not with the team.

Also to those mentioning RBs who have left, been injured, etc. Don't forget about Jevon Pugh.........he got caught up in that sex case and decided to get himself out of the situation.

Regarding RBs and training - didn't Hampton get hit right on his knee? that is why they thought initially it might have been just a bad bruise. It wasn't a simple plant/cut it was a hard hit. In that case, not sure who is doing the training matters - if your foot is planted, and you take a hit to the knee, something is going to give.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most ACL injuries ar no contact. Foot planted + torsion at knee = tear. The ACL is very strong in other linear fores but weak in comparison to internal torsion. Sometimes hyperextension can cuase tear but did not in this case. Looked like foot planted with just the right force at the knee from the side. Unfortunate, but training did not cuase this. Also would not be surprised if he sustained some type of meniscal damage as well as they often accompany these type of injuries.

Are you saying that he left the team because he thought he wouldn't be playing because of the depth chart? I don't think so. There are definitely other reasonS he is not with the team.

I know this. But what I am asking, is whether the kid would have fought through his problems & stayed on the team if he was the undisputed starter.

In general, I think you see an increase in injuries in sports these days because guys are so much fitter, stronger, and faster. They've stretched their bodies as far as possible, and it doesn't take as much for something to break down.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if it's because that's the way today's athletes are, then in theory, it should be the same story for all other programs, too. It seems that Iowa is REALLY snakebitten for RB injuries, but maybe it seems that way just because it's us.

I'd like to see some stats across all of college football regarding RB injuries. If every other program has just as much trouble keeping RB's healthy, then you may be on to something. But if it's just us.. Then I'm not sure what to say except that there must be something else factoring into it. Maybe it is just rotten luck, who knows. But we've been on a roll the past several years and eventually, coincidence becomes trend.

I don't buy the PED/HGH arguement. I tore mine, and haven't done any of those. I think what is happen is we are having the first generations of kids come through that have extensively lifted weights while kids. Their muscular systems have outgrown their skeletal systems and consequently they are ripping their joints apart.

I have a friend that this happened to. He was identified as having the potential to be of olympic caliber with regards to his endurance sport at a young age. Hit weights, not seriously but more so than the average kid before puberty. Problem is, he never grew that much, was no more than 5'5". HIs club coach told his college coach "no weights", the college coach didn't listen, and he started getting arthritic joints & had to quit the sport.

This is essentially what Michael Phelps coach, Bowmann, avoided. Phelps didn't hit weights until before the Beijing olympics, for the exact fear with which I have described above. Now that he has finished growing, and knows what his frame can handle, he can afford to put weight on without these fears.

For these reasons, I think the propensity for ACL injuries in football & basketball players in the last 10 years is the fact that we have overwhelmed our evolutionary skeletal capacity.

Obviously you can tear ligaments without having taken PED's. But it's the same principe: too much muscle for you tendons and ligaments to handle=torn ligaments. I wasn't suggesting that Jewel was on PED's or anything like that. I just said that that's why pro athletes who do use PED's ALSO tend to use HGH, because it helps strengthen those tendons and ligaments.

I agree that we've probably caused this by lifting weights too soon. I didn't start until the summer after my 8th grade year (required for football). And that may have been too early and I just got lucky, I don't know (I never suffered anything worse than a broken ankle). But I don't like it when 5th graders are lifting weights. That's just not healthy. But high school athletes need to do it. Otherwise, only those with elite natural talent could get college scholarships, or even maximize their potential (regardless of whether that potential is college-worthy).

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if it's because that's the way today's athletes are, then in theory, it should be the same story for all other programs, too. It seems that Iowa is REALLY snakebitten for RB injuries, but maybe it seems that way just because it's us.

Maybe Amendola & Doyle need to get together and discuss this.

If this is true & when it is officially announced, I am triple confirming that Wegher magically decides that he wants to play football again in 5...4...3...2...1

THAT ship sailed...withy BWs hadns firmly on the helm, IMO. I doubt KF or staff would take him back this year...and KF alluded as much in his presser...

This is a tremendous loss to the team. Jewl was our best back and would have had a great year. Now we do not have a versatile back. Robinson lacks the bursts of speed and quickness. He will excel in some games but in others have a hard time. Freshmen seldom get the job done unless they are exceptional. BooHoo!

This is a tremendous loss to the team. Jewl was our best back and would have had a great year. Now we do not have a versatile back. Robinson lacks the bursts of speed and quickness. He will excel in some games but in others have a hard time. Freshmen seldom get the job done unless they are exceptional. BooHoo!

Fortunately we have awesome receivers and a senior QB.

All is not lost.

Assess and adapt.

Well, 2004 was probably about as extreme a scenario one can come up with, what with losing so many RBs to the same type of injury.

But I also wonder if Hampton, having already injured one ACL, was just plain at a higher risk of injuring the other one.

Latest posts