Hampton, Robinson, Wegher and Brinson: Something's gotta give!

people dont understand that Brinson is the best back we have. Kirk knows it and has said it. problem being, he's hurt and cant play 100%. when healed, he'll pass robinson wegher and everyones pride, jewel. robinson is slow, hampton is going to lose a step, wegher is doing well but needs to improve. brinson is already 220, and has great speed for a big guy.

We need all our rbs, as has been pointed out, Wegher is versatile and could end up at the slot. We also need kickoff returners,punt returners and special team gunners...many roles for these guys to play next year.

The problem (if you can call it a problem) isn't that we have 4 RBs. It is that we have 4 RBs with the same eligibility. There are only X amount of running attempts to go around in a given year. Not enough for 4 RBs who are only playing as RBs. If things stay as they are SOMEBODY is going to start feeling short changed as to playing time. They came here to play ball. If they don't have that burning desire to get out on the field and carry the rock, what are they doing here?

I don't see KF and KOK giving many quality RB reps to more than 2 RBs at any one time and I don't see 2 talented RBs just sitting around waiting for a chance that mayor may not come.

I've wondered about this as well. And I don't have any clue on what they're going to do. I believe that if hampton comes back completely healthy, he's our best back. One thing they might do is have Wegher redshirt (even though I doubt he would want to do that). But somethings gotta give and someone is going to be left out unless there are some position changes.

I don't see it as being much of a problem. Many, many things could happen. Hampton may not be fully ready, may lose a step who knows. Coker would probably red-shirt, somebody could change positions. I wouldn't look at this as a problem, but more of a blessing come next year!!! Right now we are somewhat short handed. If Robinson or Wegher went out for any extended period of time would be devastating. Too much depth can never be a problem!!!

This is a great problem to have, but I have a feeling that Brinson is going to be the one left out. I just have a feeling he's not going to get the reps and he'll end up transferring even though I really feel he possibly has the most talent out of all our backs. I don't know what it is but I just think he's got the best balance.

JHawkI took the words out of my mouth. Let's don't forget Murphy's Law. S*** happens, more at running back than anyplace else. I love this problem!

This is certainly not a problem at all for the team or the coaching staff. It is a problem for whichever running back(s) is/are unable to see the field to their satisfaction in the future. This is a great situation for the team. Depth is always a great thing to have. All I was saying in my original post is that I don't see how the situation of having 4 RBs in the same class of eligibility could possibly continue into the future. At least one of the four will eventually not get as many snaps as a player of his ability may feel he could be getting at another position or another school.

In short, I am saying that I don't think Iowa will have four sophomore RBs on the team next year. Something will change. Something's gotta give.

This is purely speculation, but I see Jewel and Brinson vying for the starting spot in the spring, with Robinson/Wegher in a close third. This isn't a knock on Robinson or Wegher, but it seems Kirk generally gives the injured player the chance to regain his starting spot upon returning. Brinson's injury may be the sort of nagging injury that he never quite recovers fully from (like Bob Sanders, who, it's great to hear, is practicing full speed this week for the Colts)...let's hope it's not. If he recovers fully, I think Kirk's praise of Brinson wasn't simply empty praise and I think we return - with a few changes - to the situation last off-season...BEFORE Jewel's injury and BEFORE Brinson's injury: that is, Jewel and Jeff competing for carries while being pushed (and not pushed in the Vandenberg will "push" Stanzi not-that-serious sense) by Robinson and Wegher. Does Wegher become more of a utility back/receiver? It seems he could succeed at anything! Conventional wisdom would say that Robinson or Wegher would be the incumbent going into next year, and while they've looked good, I wonder how the running game would look this year with a healthy Jewel/Brinson...

Brinson has had a foot problem since summer and is hobbled right now. I agree there's a logjam at running back. Maybe somebody turns into a safety, a receiver or even a corner. Huge swing from a year ago!

"people dont understand that Brinson is the best back we have. Kirk knows it and has said it. problem being, he's hurt and cant play 100%. when healed, he'll pass robinson wegher and everyones pride, jewel. robinson is slow, hampton is going to lose a step, wegher is doing well but needs to improve. brinson is already 220, and has great speed for a big guy."

you know this, how?????

I don't see any issue with having this many athletes. Our coaches are experts at converting someone from one position to another.

when Brinson becomes 100%. He'll prove everyone that thinks he's going to be odd man out, wrong.
he's a beast. thats all there is to it.

Exacxtly! He is probably our best RB that isn't out for the season, if Kirk's words mean anything. And who knows if Jewel will even be able to make it back @ 100%!!
Brinson would be perfect in all of those short yardage plays, where we don't quite have the RB to pound the ball thru.
Can't wait to see him run! Hope that high ankle sprain is healed soon!

Maybe Brison could be a fullback????

I could easily see Wegher being a slot guy that does a lot of sweep runs. Kindof like a Percy Harvin.

Latest posts