Hampton, Robinson, Wegher and Brinson: Something's gotta give!

UP6936

Next year, as it sits right now, we will have four running backs that are sophomores in eligibility. Its always great to have depth, but there just are not enough carries to go around to keep four very talented RBs happy. I don't see how all four could still be Iowa RBs by the time the first game rolls around next year. Then factor in that we have two three star RB recruits coming in as well. Will someone transfer? Will someone change position? Could we actually have four sophomore RBs to choose from next year?

My gut is telling me that Jewel's return next year will force some changes. Wegher is an amazing talent and could develop into a great RB for Iowa, but this situation reminds me of the Tim Dwight/Tavian Banks situation. Maybe they make Wegher more of a receiver/flanker/kick returner, like Tim Dwight. I think Robinson fits the pure RB mold a little better. I think he would alternate with Jewel quite well.

And what about Brinson? We have heard alot of good things about him, but he has yet to get any meaningful carries. Why is this? I know that Wegher and Robinson are sucking up all available carries to this point, but if you are going to throw two freshmen into the fray, why not a third? Yes, Brinson was injured to start the season, but he must be 100% by now. Brinson has to be getting thoughts of "If they haven't used me much this year, what are the my odds when Jewel gets back?" And of course Wegher and Robinson will have a year of experience under their belts next year, and we know KFs bias towards experience. I have absolutely no inside information what so ever, I'm just a pure layman speculating, but I must wonder how long Brinson will be content to sit on the bench.

Brinson is not 100%. He's been hurt all year, and is currently in a boot for a bum ankle. This info is all out there, and has been for awhile...

Still though, yeah, of those four, I'd have to say that unfortunately, Brinson seems the most likely to transfer. But it's not really anything worth worrying about now. And anyway, it's a pretty good problem to have, no?

If Hampton comes back as good as advertised Wegher will be in the slot. Who knows maybe some "wildcat" in Iowa's future to get the ball in his hands. Think Brinson maybe the odd man out. He seems to be struggling with health issues putting him behind the eight ball and behind the learning curve too. I hope he comes around because the coaches said he showed some really good things in bowl practice last year. He may not beable to crack the depth chart at running back till he is a senior. Will see alot of special teams though when he gets healthy. He won't go anywhere. Rodgers is def. our fullback in waiting. Hamption and Robinson RB Wegher in the slot. WILDCAT in 2010 BABY!

Last edited:
when Brinson becomes 100%. He'll prove everyone that thinks he's going to be odd man out, wrong.
he's a beast. thats all there is to it.

Plus we have a 6'1", 220 RB recruit coming in (I believe next year) Coker... he could make some major noise or end up at FB with his size.

If I remember correctly Brinson said he's here for an education first, which is why he chose Iowa over some other in-state offers. He's talented enough..they'll find something for him.

If I remember correctly Brinson said he's here for an education first, which is why he chose Iowa over some other in-state offers. He's talented enough..they'll find something for him.

Whether that's lip service or he genuinely believes it, that's certainly something that I like to hear out of a Hawkeye player. To me it says that Brinson has some perspective...if that's the case, I certainly hope that we find him a spot, even if it's not at RB.

The give I see is KF giving more players time on the field. He has this team going places I've never seen before and IMO the next step is getting enough kids playing time to be confident in no drop off with "next man in". That is where Texas,USC, Florida etc. get their dominance. The opportunities for a team like Iowa are few in this regard and it gets the balls rolling down hill. We were probably close to being able to do this in 02'-04' but kinda lost momentum with the 05' class.

A dream formation that I like to think about...Hampton and Robinson in the backfield in a 2-back set and Wegher in the slot. Wow, that would be awesome!

I think Brinson is certainly a talented enough athlete to play on the other side of the ball. We are short on depth at the LB and Saftey position. I think he could make a real athletic LB if he was willing to make the transition.

I think Brinson is certainly a talented enough athlete to play on the other side of the ball. We are short on depth at the LB and Saftey position. I think he could make a real athletic LB if he was willing to make the transition.

That was my first thought too when I started to see the potential log jam at RB. Also, we can't predict who might go down with an injury next year either.

Warning! Unsubstantiated, no-reason-for-it pipe dream below!

In a couple years...
"Starting at the safety positions for Iowa this season...David Cato and Jeff Brinson."

Brinson has a prototype "big" safety build, and Cato can lay the wood too.

/shudders

Last edited:
Next year, as it sits right now, we will have four running backs that are sophomores in eligibility. Its always great to have depth, but there just are not enough carries to go around to keep four very talented RBs happy. I don't see how all four could still be Iowa RBs by the time the first game rolls around next year. Then factor in that we have two three star RB recruits coming in as well. Will someone transfer? Will someone change position? Could we actually have four sophomore RBs to choose from next year?

My gut is telling me that Jewel's return next year will force some changes. Wegher is an amazing talent and could develop into a great RB for Iowa, but this situation reminds me of the Tim Dwight/Tavian Banks situation. Maybe they make Wegher more of a receiver/flanker/kick returner, like Tim Dwight. I think Robinson fits the pure RB mold a little better. I think he would alternate with Jewel quite well.

And what about Brinson? We have heard alot of good things about him, but he has yet to get any meaningful carries. Why is this? I know that Wegher and Robinson are sucking up all available carries to this point, but if you are going to throw two freshmen into the fray, why not a third? Yes, Brinson was injured to start the season, but he must be 100% by now. Brinson has to be getting thoughts of "If they haven't used me much this year, what are the my odds when Jewel gets back?" And of course Wegher and Robinson will have a year of experience under their belts next year, and we know KFs bias towards experience. I have absolutely no inside information what so ever, I'm just a pure layman speculating, but I must wonder how long Brinson will be content to sit on the bench.
Some people seem to think Tim Dwight might have made a pretty good running back at Iowa. I didn't see it then and I don't see it now, in retrospect. I think it was pretty obvious at the time he was not going to be as good as others on the team. I believe some people might like to think he would have been, but that they are misinformed and saying that more with their heart than with any real football knowledge. He never seemed like the type to wait for a block in the backfield, among other things. And he was pretty small, too. And just because Fred Russell was small and great at that position doesn't mean it would have translated for Tim Dwight, either.

Just my thoughts. I am not trying to bash the memory of TD.

What will give is that in most years 1 or 2 of these rbs get hurt. We have lost Greene,Hampton,and Brinson this year for various reasons,and are down to two frosh rbs who were at least #4 and #5 in the depth chart. In 04 we lost 4 rbs. In 06 we lost 2 rbs. Why do people not recognize that you need at least 4 rbs to open the season or risk being left exposed. Coker and the other frosh will redshirt.

We need all our rbs, as has been pointed out, Wegher is versatile and could end up at the slot. We also need kickoff returners,punt returners and special team gunners...many roles for these guys to play next year.

Latest posts