"HALO" Rumor

Why would anyone pay 12 bucks a month for Hawkeyereport? If TK knew Marshall turned down a interview with Barta, why wouldn't he tell his subscribers right away? The only reason it came out today was because of a Internet rumor that Marshall was offered the job? I guess I should expect this since TK sat on the "Lickliter is gone" for 3 weeks....;)

Madison,

I tend to agree with you on Marshall. While he isn't a "homerun" hire by any stretch of the imagination, he has been a proven winner for 12 years at two different schools. It is hard for me to discount success like that regardless of whether it is at a mid-major or not. His Winthrop teams were scrappy and could compete with anyone in the country (and upset Notre Dame in the NCAAs). He put Winthrop on the map and is on the verge of doing the same with Wichita State.

If he's the next coach at Iowa, he has my support.

I think you will hear Tom Penders name added to the list. If you look at what he did at UT and UH. His teams had some of the highest scoring teams around. He also wants to go to a program that he can rebuild like he has done at those places.

I live in Houston. Tom Penders would be a disaster. It is 20 years since he rebuilt UT- he is now 64 years old. He did very little @ UH- they were 15-15 this year until they made it through an extremely weak CUSA field his first NCAA spot since he's been @ UH. His recruits at UH were all Jucos and transfers- he got not one top guy from Houston HS which are among the best in country- in fact the #1 high school team in USA is within crawling distance of the UH campus- no way fot TP, maybe 15 years ago, but not now.

That is good to know. I just heard his interview on ESPN radio today and they were lovin him and the things he has done as far as rebuilding programs. If he can't recruit in his own backyard good luck in IC.

He is a very personable guy who would do well in a radio interview, but it's been quite a while since he has rebuilt anything.

The only Gregg Marshall I know coaches Witchita St and I know Barta wouldn't be that stupid, so who's this Gregg Marshall they're talking about

Anyone else terrified that no one (no offense to anyone else on here) of any relevance has commented on this thread?

The silver lining (if there is one) in all of this talk about hiring a "dud", is that Kirk Ferentz wasn't the popular choice in Iowa City, but it worked out BIG TIME. Let's just pray for that....if indeed we hire a no namer.

Latest posts