Ha - no one wants the Gopher job

Well you know they were able to hire Tubby away from Kentucky, so they must be better than them.

Kind of like Iowa and New Mexico I guess.

nice bit of sarcasm, sioux but a quick google search reveals that smith "resigned" (aka, forced out) then KU hired a worse coach in gillisipie. Ironically Smith now takes over for the open spot left at Texas Tech formerly held by Gillispie after he "resigned".

Not that I think it will be MN, but do you think Greg Marshall might be looking to leverage the run in this tournament? He has been good at WSU for a while. Have no idea of his satisfaction or any of that, but maybe a move to a major conference helps him keep a good staff together longer? Where would he land, do you think, if he looked?

Why when he can get to a Final Four at WSU and be worshiped for all eternity and actually appreciate it?

Well you know they were able to hire Tubby away from Kentucky, so they must be better than them.

Kind of like Iowa and New Mexico I guess.
IIRC, Tubby pulled an Alford. He heard the rumblings and knew he was on the hot seat. So when Minny let Munson go early in the season, Tubby had his people talk to Minnesota. That's what I remember, anyway.

GO HAWKS!!!

Oh .. .. and Enfield is now off the list. He's headed to USC.

GO HAWKS!!!

And it sounds like he wasn't even that high on their list. If a place like USC has issues getting coaches, Minnesota is in for a world of hurt. Granted, USC has had a few other issues in the past couple years with the Mayo debacle.

Y! SPORTS

Last edited:
I put this up on Twitter days ago, but I still think once WSU is done with their run, Gregg Marshall goes to Minnesota.

I put this up on Twitter days ago, but I still think once WSU is done with their run, Gregg Marshall goes to Minnesota.

I disagree and I really hope you are wrong.

I think the trend of the top mid-major coaches staying put continues. Shaka and Stevens could have had any job that was open the last couple years. I really think they see how good they have it at their schools and how untouchable they are there. I hope Marshall sees the same things.

I think Shaka and Stevens will bolt only if one of the top 10 jobs in the country is open. Its not worth it for them to go to Minny or some other mid level BCS conference job.

I disagree and I really hope you are wrong.

I think the trend of the top mid-major coaches staying put continues. Shaka and Stevens could have had any job that was open the last couple years. I really think they see how good they have it at their schools and how untouchable they are there. I hope Marshall sees the same things.

I think Shaka and Stevens will bolt only if one of the top 10 jobs in the country is open. Its not worth it for them to go to Minny or some other mid level BCS conference job.

I hope I am wrong too. He will succeed at MN.

The reason I think he would leave is because he remains at a mid-major that (for a stretch there) was getting only 1 bid to the Dance and they almost didn't get in this year as they went through that slump. Think about that - an eventual FF team that was (at one point) at risk of not making the tourney.

The MN job would give him a position in one of the best BB confs in the land.

I hope I am wrong too. He will succeed at MN.

The reason I think he would leave is because he remains at a mid-major that (for a stretch there) was getting only 1 bid to the Dance and they almost didn't get in this year as they went through that slump. Think about that - an eventual FF team that was (at one point) at risk of not making the tourney.

The MN job would give him a position in one of the best BB confs in the land.

Marshall could have had the UCLA job if he had wanted it, he isn't some no name mid major coach just looking to get his foot in the door in the B10.

Marshall should have it even easier going forward in the MVC with Creighton leaving for the new Big East. Creighton has been their only real competition in that conference for a while it seems like.

Marshall should have it even easier going forward in the MVC with Creighton leaving for the new Big East. Creighton has been their only real competition in that conference for a while it seems like.

Exactly. It will be easier for Marshall to get NCAA bids at Wichita St now that CU is out of the MVC than it would be at Minny in a league full of sharks.

In the past, it would be a no-brainer,and Marshall would jump at Minny. But, in this universe,where mid-majors get tons of respect,and going .500 in the Big Ten means nothing, and those mid-majors pay 1+ million/year....different world. I hope Marshall does not land at Minny, as I do think he is a very good coach...but, he is more of an outlaw coach,a la SA at New Mexico...doing it with jucos,transfers and questionable students...that might not work at Minny.

IIRC, Tubby pulled an Alford. He heard the rumblings and knew he was on the hot seat. So when Minny let Munson go early in the season, Tubby had his people talk to Minnesota. That's what I remember, anyway.

GO HAWKS!!!
Nothing gets past you Blue.

Man, the Tubster is laughing all the way to Lubbock! Poor, poor Minnesota, gotta feel bad for that mess.

I don't know about Marshall one way or the other. Just kind of going with the prior "norm" of moving to the highesst level, regarless, although as some say, that may be changing. I just wonder if another way to think about it is to keep a good staff together. The assisitants at WSU will probably get attention. Maybe moving with Marshall to a major conf equals getting your own shot at Idaho or such? Or being another assistant at a major for somebody else. Who knows. FYI, there is at least one guy from IA (state of) on that staff, so a little more curious than just random thoughts.

Those staffs are pretty important. Right KF? :)

Latest posts