Ha - no one wants the Gopher job

I'll take the job. I don't know many NCAA rules. I don't know how I'm going to recruit. I have some ideas about player rotation, game management, etc. and know I will get a ton of input from all of you to help fill the gaps. I'll even do it for less than $1 million a year but it has to be guaranteed for the 1st year...suspect my job will be in jeopardy after the 1st couple of practices. Kelley, do you know anything about the rules or like to read rule books? Grape, Nicholson and 77 Hawk are also under strong consideration to help fill out my staff. Others are welcome to apply.

Could i be your video coordinator Windsor??? Pretty please.......

What has Howland done that would make you call him dirty? I can't think of anything.
He's been viewed as a dirty recruiter by other coaches. CBS Sports had an article about this not long ago. He's like Scott Drew. Never been caught but not viewed as a very clean guy.

dirty is relative, no doubt. there are SI articles on him recently. reneging on a sophomore h.s. offer and left the kid 'high and dry' when he didn't pan out as initially thought being the jist.

Poor recruiting in California led to Ben Howland's firing at UCLA - March Madness 2013 - George Dohrmann - SI.com

Remember the one they wrote last year, sorry don't have the link about all Howland let kids get away with?

He has player after player leave every year, look at UNLV and UNM's rosters the last few years.

Gophers are a rudderless ship headed for the rocks. Goofs, prepare for a 9th place or worse finish next year.

lol, newsflash, the Minnesota job isn't a top 10 job in the US.........I don't think their AD got the memo

Not that I think it will be MN, but do you think Greg Marshall might be looking to leverage the run in this tournament? He has been good at WSU for a while. Have no idea of his satisfaction or any of that, but maybe a move to a major conference helps him keep a good staff together longer? Where would he land, do you think, if he looked?

lol, newsflash, the Minnesota job isn't a top 10 job in the US.........I don't think their AD got the memo

Not sure if you watched the Gophers much in the past few years, but Tubby Smith probably wasn't a top 10 coach in the Big Ten. That was the reason he was fired.

I can't take too much joy in schools finding it difficult to land a new coach. It was just a few years ago our program was in much worse shape than Minnesota and not too many coaches were interested in coming to Iowa City. The Gophers may not land a big-name coach but it is still a good coaching job in the Big 10 conference.

Gophers are a rudderless ship headed for the rocks. Goofs, prepare for a 9th place or worse finish next year.
I don't agree with this. Teague and his assistant (Evans??) were instrumental in getting Villa 7 off the ground and that has done wonders for good young coaches. I think they have a sense of what is needed to succeed as a college basketball coach and I fear they'll get a decent coach in to right that ship. They may finish at the bottom, but Iowa was in the same boat 3 years ago and look where the team is now. It just takes the right coach, and I have a feeling the current Minny administration is going to get it done.

Not sure if you watched the Gophers much in the past few years, but Tubby Smith probably wasn't a top 10 coach in the Big Ten. That was the reason he was fired.
THIS is why Minnesota has been relatively bad the last few years. Tubby is a decent recruiter, he's just not a good game coach. He allowed the Gophers to under perform this year.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Not that I think it will be MN, but do you think Greg Marshall might be looking to leverage the run in this tournament? He has been good at WSU for a while. Have no idea of his satisfaction or any of that, but maybe a move to a major conference helps him keep a good staff together longer? Where would he land, do you think, if he looked?

extremely unlikely marshall would go to minny.

his wife likes medium-big sized cities (charlotte was near winthrop, wichita is about the size she prefers) and doesn't like harsh winters.

when he was still in rock hill, he wasn't interested in the south carolina or clemson jobs, and remember he turned down iowa before the hawks got fran -- taking the minny job seems really, really unlikely.

when he moves from wichita, it will be to a warm-weather major conference school in a medium sized city, that has a good tradition and recruiting base. he's getting paid pretty well at wsu. his family is happy there. no need to move unless its for a dream job school.

Last edited:
If Minney dozes the dump (ahem, Barn) and puts up some new digs with a practice facility, they could bring themselves back into relevancy.

I don't recall saying he was but they're AD is acting like Minnesota is on the same level as North Carolina in terms of prestige.

Latest posts