Ha - no one wants the Gopher job

I'll take the job. I don't know many NCAA rules. I don't know how I'm going to recruit. I have some ideas about player rotation, game management, etc. and know I will get a ton of input from all of you to help fill the gaps. I'll even do it for less than $1 million a year but it has to be guaranteed for the 1st year...suspect my job will be in jeopardy after the 1st couple of practices. Kelley, do you know anything about the rules or like to read rule books? Grape, Nicholson and 77 Hawk are also under strong consideration to help fill out my staff. Others are welcome to apply.

i'm in for your staff

i've got all of two years of experience coaching the 10th grade to a losing record

really i'm a track coach so I guess we'll run a lot

can I telecommunte? minny sucks and its cold.

They have to land a big name. The Hawks will rue the day we missed on Lavin and Pearl!!!
In all seriousness, there are a TON of good ones out there; I just hope they pick from the TONS of bad ones out there!

Big City, yes.
More in-state talent than...well, only Iowa and Nebraska...maybe Wiscy

Dump of an arena..with no improvement in site
No modern practice facility
Old fan base (don't like the blue hairs at CHA?..you should go to a game at Williams arena)

Minnesota may be a better job than Iowa on several levels...but it has serious shortcomings too.

Having a pro team in the same city is also a challenge. The casual fan is going to spend their money to see D Rose, LaBron, Durrant, etc over today's college kids.

Of course just getting into the playoffs in the West is brutal right now, but one and done has left college hoops kind of faceless.

Having a pro team in the same city is also a challenge. The casual fan is going to spend their money to see D Rose, LaBron, Durrant, etc over today's college kids.

Of course just getting into the playoffs in the West is brutal right now, but one and done has left college hoops kind of faceless.

As in football, I reject that premise as a "loser's" excuse. (especially when the bball team is the TWolves)

-pro and college fans are largely different groups
-there are more people within a 1 hour drive of Minnesota's campus, than in the entire state of Iowa. And they are the only D-1 program.
-There's "move to do" in the city...the classic Gopher excuse. Nice try. People do what THEY WANT to do. If their college hoops team excites them, they'll go to the game. Period. If it doesn't they don't go.

A big part of Minnesota's problem has always been the cramped urban campus. It doesn't sell as a "college experience" to the fan...like Iowa City, Bloomington, Ann Arbor, Madison...college towns. Minneapolis, not so much.

i'm in for your staff

i've got all of two years of experience coaching the 10th grade to a losing record

really i'm a track coach so I guess we'll run a lot

can I telecommunte? minny sucks and its cold.

I'll read body language and sign language from tom crean and relay secret play to you and you can switch the plays according to opposing team body language , I just want free hot dogs and pizza and free cute Sign language interpreter.
th

Not understanding the lack of acknowledgement for how good the Purdue program has been. They are top 4/5 in the Big Ten, no question.

How many Big Ten titles has Purdue won in the last 20 years compared to Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota?

I will bet money that Ty Jones and Vaughn do not end up at Minny,no matter who they land.
Does the state of Minnesota produce some bb talent...yes.
But, if you look at top 150 lists for 2013,14 and 15, Minny has less guys on it than Wisconsin by far.
Only Iowa and Nebraska have less in the Big Ten footprint. Great 3 players for the 2014 class in Minny,but that is about it.

Minneapolis is a pro town,and in pro towns,the local HS kids do not have loyalty to UMinn....maybe outside of the urban area,but not where most of the players live.

Iowa is a better bb job than Minny. otherwise,that list is about right.

ISU locked up Fred.
UNI locked up Jacobson.
Fran aint going anywhere.

Everyone and their dog is turning down that pitiful job up in the Twin Cities.

This is why Barta kept everything secret when he hired Lick and Fran. You don't let favorites be known; you go about things confidentially for the protection of all. I am amazed that so many ADs do not understand this.

They should go after Hoiberg again. Just because he signed a new deal doesn't mean anything, just ask Alford. Just gives you more negotiating room.