Guys It's One Game

And weren't those people's concerns and reaction justified?

No

Last year the goal of making it to the NCAA tourney was not met in case you have forgotten. The team underachieved last year and crapped their pants in big moments and games they should have won. It's the same team plus 2 guys that have exactly 2 games of CBB under their belt.

I think Iowa played exactly to their expectations last year, perhaps a little higher by reaching the NIT finals. Yes they crapped a few games away, it happens. But struggling to beat Central Michigan or Gardner Webb had nothing to do with losing at Nebraska. If they lose a game like that later on this year I am not going to look back and say "If we would only have played a little better against UNO!" They played like crap against UNO and I say they played well against Iowa, in years past Iowa loses that game but this time they found a way to win.

You believe what you are trying to sell there? Why not pound a team they are supposed to, plain and simple?

UNO didn't really play that well, as I stated in another thread, they hit some shots, I don't see them hitting normally, but they didn't play well.

Fran was quoted saying UNO had a good game plan and executed it to perfection.

These pre-conference games are all about the coaches preparing the team for the long haul. Iowa maybe could have won by more points but maybe Fran needed to send a message for the team. Coaches do these things all the time. Some coaches will actually let their team lose a game if it serves a bigger purpose for the season. I'm not concerned at all with close wins or losses. We learn so much more from these type of games than we do with blowouts. Think back to your younger years. When did you learn some of the most valuable lessons in your life. Young people have short memories and think they're invincible. Games like the one on Sunday keep them in reality. We all did the same things when we were young and fortunately we had people around us to keep us in check. It's a learning experience.

Iowa overachieved last year by actually HAVING leads in some of the games they were dogs in, like MSU. They lost a few of those, but the mere fact that they played as well as they did was a surprise to most realistic fans. They will shoot better as the season progresses (we can only hope), there is too much talent for them to shoot as bad from the perimeter as they did last year and so far this year.

I know you are talking about last year, but the same team last year is starting off struggling with the same things so....

Yeah, no doubt about that. If we get 3, 4, 5 games into the season and we're consistently seeing last night's team on the floor I'll sign my name to the concerned fans list. Right now I'm hoping we're seeing early season kinks that can be worked out. If not we all better get ready for a tense season because we're going to be riding the bubble again.

* And for the record, if that happens I'll have no problem saying that this year's team underachieved.

Last edited:
I know you are talking about last year, but the same team last year is starting off struggling with the same things so....

It's.the.2nd.game.of.the.year.and.they.won. Give it a rest.

I forget, are you an actual Hawk fan during basketball season or is that only football every other week and baseball on leap years?

Yeah, no doubt about that. If we get 3, 4, 5 games into the season and we're consistently seeing last night's team on the floor I'll sign my name to the concerned fans list. Right now I'm hoping we're seeing early season kinks that can be worked out. If not we all better get ready for a tense season because we're going to be riding the bubble again.

* And for the record, if that happens I'll have no problem saying that this year's team underachieved.

I believe Fran is trying to find which lineups in games work best together. Practice is one thing but live games tell the most, thing will get worked out. Not to mention it has been said that Marble has a sore hip, that is going to affect his game as well.

It's.the.2nd.game.of.the.year.and.they.won. Give it a rest.

I forget, are you an actual Hawk fan during basketball season or is that only football every other week and baseball on leap years?

You really have to ask and I know what game it is...the problem is there is a systemic issue here. Also, I have been accused of being to optomistic on this board so I am surprised you question my loyalty to Iowa basketball.

I believe Fran is trying to find which lineups in games work best together. Practice is one thing but live games tell the most, thing will get worked out. Not to mention it has been said that Marble has a sore hip, that is going to affect his game as well.

Gesell has the flu, Marble has a sore hip...let the excuses start...unreal.

Gesell has the flu, Marble has a sore hip...let the excuses start...unreal.

What is your excuse for being a tool? Marble is hurt, FACT NOT AN EXCUSE. Plus it was one game, you're worse than OoTH making a huge deal out of KF's comment after the Purdue football game. For a so called basketball fan, you know nothing considering you think one bad game is a cause for concern.

You really have to ask and I know what game it is...the problem is there is a systemic issue here. Also, I have been accused of being to optomistic on this board so I am surprised you question my loyalty to Iowa basketball.

J/p. I know you're a big hawk bball fan but I just think yer going a little overboard and maybe youre right.....i just don't want you to be. I gots half season tix and cant stand a bunch of heartbreaking losses again like last year

J/p. I know you're a big hawk bball fan but I just think yer going a little overboard and maybe youre right.....i just don't want you to be. I gots half season tix and cant stand a bunch of heartbreaking losses again like last year

Here is the deal though and this is my overall concern, it isn't like Iowa had an influx of players here, no major graduations.

I want to be wrong because I love my Hawkeyes, but I have had a real uneasy feeling about this team heading in and maybe I am going a bit overboard, but look at the overall picture.

Marble hasn't proven he can take over for extended periods and White is not that guy because he really can't shoot outside of 6ft. Both are good players, but 2nd/3rd options at best for them to flourish.

That means Iowa is relying on Uthoff and Jok, who have 2 games of college experience. That said, I like Uthoff's game a lot and think he can develop into another viable option, actually I think his skills are overall better than either Marble/White. You can see him playing too fast at times though, but the game will come to him.

I would say that with 8 years of no dancing (and we know how that appearance went), multiple Alford years where buzzer beaters took us off the bubble, an Alford year with monsterous expectations that we don't even dance and an Alford year where we start off the conference season really well but than lose a very key player for the season to an injury and I think we're all a little fearful. The last 15 years of Iowa basketball have kind of made us be that way.

What is your excuse for being a tool? Marble is hurt, FACT NOT AN EXCUSE. Plus it was one game, you're worse than OoTH making a huge deal out of KF's comment after the Purdue football game. For a so called basketball fan, you know nothing considering you think one bad game is a cause for concern.

It's one game....next it will be "well it was just a tough stretch in the schedule" and progress into "this is the best basketball conference"

If you want to ignore the obvious, Iowa played poorly against a team that should not compete, then that is fine. I heard that Iowa has all kinds of depth this year, I find it hard to believe that playing at such a high pace and getting UNO in foul trouble it took Iowa late in the 2nd half to pull away.

It is a bigger problem than looking at it as one game: this was a microcosm of last season, poor teams competing with Iowa because they simply can't shoot. You want a fact, Iowa shot poorly than 80% of other college basketball teams last year.

I would say that with 8 years of no dancing (and we know how that appearance went), multiple Alford years where buzzer beaters took us off the bubble, an Alford year with monsterous expectations that we don't even dance and an Alford year where we start off the conference season really well but than lose a very key player for the season to an injury and I think we're all a little fearful. The last 15 years of Iowa basketball have kind of made us be that way.

The last 15 years has nothing to do with my feelings on this team. This team has everything to do well, except shoot the ball worth a poo.

Latest posts