Guy on sideline

I smile at all of the comments about putting the students down on the court. Why? So there would be more empty seats shown on tv?

In my best Trumpian-like Tweet: Student participation at Iowa home games. Sad!

I like the idea of the students closer to the action, but the reality is I don't think they show up. If someone could prove this wrong, I'd be behind it.
All you'd need is 200-300 for TV. I mean, when students do show up it wouldn't be like they're going to fill up the back seats first.

I was a student at Iowa when CHA was built. Experienced the FIeld House and CHA. I'll never forget one of the first games I went to in CHA. Some people behind me were upset because I wouldn't sit down, stay in my seat and enjoy the game. That's when I knew CHA was going to be a problem. The structural design (aisles every 6 seats at floor level) is another discussion).

Much like the South end zone of Kinnick, they f***ed up CHA. I have the original promotional folder created for fundraising...the design was much better than the final we ended up with. And the scaling back was completely unnecessary... funds came in at a much faster rate than expected. It wasn't a money issue.

I don't know who the d-bag is making these "compromise" construction decisions...but that's been a significant governor on the potential of facilities. I can only imagine what's going to happen with the North end zone.

You've peaked my interest, what's wrong with the S end zone at Kinnick?

Yeah, they could be one deep three quarters around the court. Would make a HUGE difference!

More students might go to the games if they had some primo seats where they think they are really making a difference instead of being up in the nosebleeds behind the small spirit band.

All you'd need is 200-300 for TV. I mean, when students do show up it wouldn't be like they're going to fill up the back seats first.
Maybe they could start by putting some of the students who do show up on the north baseline, and even add some more floor seats along the south baseline. There is a huge space between the floor and the first seats on the north side. Not sure how it can be done without blocking some views/disrupting handicapped seating, but there should be a solution. Agree with those who critique the layout - whoever designed it didn't know much about creating a lot of noise in an arena, particularly without a capacity crowd.

Well I disagree with that; but if that's your problem, then can't you just not look at him? When I see him my on tv at the home games I simply see someone passionately and enthusiastically getting into the game. Someone I'd probably watch a game with... someone like me.

"Someone like you." Or maybe it is you?

You've peaked my interest, what's wrong with the S end zone at Kinnick?

Too much empty/open space for one. Secondly the pitch...it's way too flat (compare it to the North end zone or the side stands)...takes away a lot of the intensity. The building codes excuse was sited by one official, but that's BS. Stadiums routinely fall outside of that or are given dispensations. Examples are plentiful. The outside looks great, the plaza was a nice addition and the concourse is wider than the side stands, but the seating should be higher and tighter into the field. That would also bring it into closer proximity to the side stands and there wouldn't be that huge gap. Similar era stadiums have been rebuilt without such obvious weaknesses.

I've watched games in a lot of arenas around the country. I had season tickets in the Fieldhouse and at Carver. There is nothing wrong with Carver that good crowds won't cure. Some of the loudest games I've ever attended were at Carver.

Too much empty/open space for one. Secondly the pitch...it's way too flat (compare it to the North end zone or the side stands)...takes away a lot of the intensity. The building codes excuse was sited by one official, but that's BS. Stadiums routinely fall outside of that or are given dispensations. Examples are plentiful. The outside looks great, the plaza was a nice addition and the concourse is wider than the side stands, but the seating should be higher and tighter into the field. That would also bring it into closer proximity to the side stands and there wouldn't be that huge gap. Similar era stadiums have been rebuilt without such obvious weaknesses.

Yea, screw that disabled seating they put in the S end zone. I say get rid of half those handicapped seats and tighten and higher up the seating like you say. Like those jackals are going to go to a game past Oct. 15 when it gets too cold anyway.

Interesting that no one has actually mentioned this guy's name. Or the mods have been on-the-job and deleted it. I don't know who he is, but will be watching for him.

Interesting that no one has actually mentioned this guy's name. Or the mods have been on-the-job and deleted it. I don't know who he is, but will be watching for him.

Boy, could have swore his name was in here yesterday. Someone mentioned it. Wonder what happened to it?

Yea, screw that disabled seating they put in the S end zone. I say get rid of half those handicapped seats and tighten and higher up the seating like you say. Like those jackals are going to go to a game past Oct. 15 when it gets too cold anyway.

Yeah, that's exactly what i meant. JFC...

Last edited:
Think it's great. More Hawk fans (that attend games) should have his enthusiasm. It's called HOME COURT ADVANTAGE

i was at a wrestling meet in Carver back in the late 80s when Brooks Simpson pinned Eric Voelker....who was defending ncaa national champion and iowa went on to upset iowa state. loud as hell when that pin happened - i was pretty low to the floor -

Boy, could have swore his name was in here yesterday. Someone mentioned it. Wonder what happened to it?

I went back and see that it was mentioned or linked a few times. And apparently this Feller really likes the attention. Not only sitting courtside, but also next to the announcers for chit-chat.

Even my last time in Kinnick my seats were in front of an old couple. By the end of the game I'm pretty sure we were extremely annoyed with each other.

When I get to be too old to stand on my feet at a game I'll be staying home to watch it on television.
200.gif