Gus Johnson on Fran

Gus has vaulted to #1 in my favorite's to listen too. Not because of comments like this, but for being damn good and I mean damn good at what he does. He brings the passion each and every night...

People really need to read what Gus is saying, he hits it right on the head. This team has improved 300% since game one. Hopefully, Iowa can land their two "dream kids" that they have offers out too, that would make Iowa a scary team.

People really need to read what Gus is saying, he hits it right on the head. This team has improved 300% since game one. Hopefully, Iowa can land their two "dream kids" that they have offers out too, that would make Iowa a scary team.

Most Important Quote:

“Right now, to be totally honest, he doesn’t have very many of his type players, and that’s not a diss on any of the other kids who are there. I think they do a wonderful job.’’

His type of players:
1. Cartwright
2. Basabe
3. Marble
4. Eric May (as a role player maybe 12-15 min a game) Not a complete player but athletic

So basically Fran is making due with everyone else on the roster at this time, and frankly if he can and I believe he will Eric May will be recruited over......

Fran is too nice to ever come out and say it but I believe when he and Francis speak behind closed doors they know this current roster just is not that good.

I find Fran's rants embarrassing to watch. I feel sorry for his players.

Really? Don't feel sorry for the players, they recognize that they have to do the right things, they don't quit on him when he does that. As the roster improves, so will Fran's moods, but there are times when a coach needs to "loose it" and I find it refreshing compared to what Iowa has had on the sideline in previous years. Fran challenges his players with the rants, but if you pay any attention, watch how much he compliments them, the team would not respond the way they do if he didn't compliment them as much or more as he reams them.

Really? Don't feel sorry for the players, they recognize that they have to do the right things, they don't quit on him when he does that. As the roster improves, so will Fran's moods, but there are times when a coach needs to "loose it" and I find it refreshing compared to what Iowa has had on the sideline in previous years. Fran challenges his players with the rants, but if you pay any attention, watch how much he compliments them, the team would not respond the way they do if he didn't compliment them as much or more as he reams them.

I feel like the people who dislike the yelling because of how it affects the players probably haven't participated in sports. (Maybe they have, and it just had the opposite effect as it did on me). When I competed I wasn't very good mentally, to be honest. When my coach yelled at me it calmed me down and re-focused me. I never took anything that was said personally. I think our guys understand that it isn't personal. Also, when a coach yells at you, it is showing confidence in you. If he is upset with you, he obviously believes you are good enough to play better, and beat the guys across from you.

I feel like the people who dislike the yelling because of how it affects the players probably haven't participated in sports. (Maybe they have, and it just had the opposite effect as it did on me). When I competed I wasn't very good mentally, to be honest. When my coach yelled at me it calmed me down and re-focused me. I never took anything that was said personally. I think our guys understand that it isn't personal. Also, when a coach yells at you, it is showing confidence in you. If he is upset with you, he obviously believes you are good enough to play better, and beat the guys across from you.

It doesn't matter if we are talking about athletics or business, a coach or a manager needs to find out what motivates their individual players or employees and motivate them in the proper way. This will allow them to get the best out each individual.

I always get the feeling that Fran yells, then he gives a pat on the butt.

It always comes across that he is angry not because his players aren't great shooters or athletes or aren't good in general, but because they are good and fail to play to their abilities.

For instance, he wouldn't tell Basabe he sucks, but would tell him that he is too important to be breaking down on the defensive end. I think the players, with the exception of May, seem to be playing more confidently. Last year the Hawks would have tanked it by now, this team isn't good, but they respond well to adversity for the most part.

It doesn't matter if we are talking about athletics or business, a coach or a manager needs to find out what motivates their individual players or employees and motivate them in the proper way. This will allow them to get the best out each individual.

Good point, Fran mentioned something like this in the post game, or maybe pre-game radio. Said that his team seems to respond to being yelled at.

Well said, sportstalent. Fran may lose his cool, but he appears to give the necessary kudos to balance out the verbal reprimands. I don't think he's trying to belittle the players, but just getting animated to get the message across.

Gus Johnson is a treat to listen to and he keeps it real with genuine enthusiasm. I see far more coaches being demonstrative on the sidelines than sitting there with their head in their hands with assistants cracking jokes in 20 point losses. McCaffrey has not thrown a single player under the bus all season and if you recall, Lickliter was famous for singling out guys that didn't do this or that right according the system.

The BTN is really doing its best to help Iowa with recruiting, as Johnson, Murray, Jackson, Doyle and Morris have all mentioned that this is a great system for kids that want to push tempo. Those guys understand that McCaffrey doesn't have "his players" on the roster, thus the struggles, but the tide will turn.

Gus Johnson is a treat to listen to and he keeps it real with genuine enthusiasm. I see far more coaches being demonstrative on the sidelines than sitting there with their head in their hands with assistants cracking jokes in 20 point losses. McCaffrey has not thrown a single player under the bus all season and if you recall, Lickliter was famous for singling out guys that didn't do this or that right according the system.

The BTN is really doing its best to help Iowa with recruiting, as Johnson, Murray, Jackson, Doyle and Morris have all mentioned that this is a great system for kids that want to push tempo. Those guys understand that McCaffrey doesn't have "his players" on the roster, thus the struggles, but the tide will turn.

Lickliter was good at 2-Things. Going to his seat acting like a baby and quiting on the TEAM.