Gus Johnson on Fran

Gus Johnson is a treat to listen to and he keeps it real with genuine enthusiasm. I see far more coaches being demonstrative on the sidelines than sitting there with their head in their hands with assistants cracking jokes in 20 point losses. McCaffrey has not thrown a single player under the bus all season and if you recall, Lickliter was famous for singling out guys that didn't do this or that right according the system.

The BTN is really doing its best to help Iowa with recruiting, as Johnson, Murray, Jackson, Doyle and Morris have all mentioned that this is a great system for kids that want to push tempo. Those guys understand that McCaffrey doesn't have "his players" on the roster, thus the struggles, but the tide will turn.

And yet, you advocate McCaffery throwing Brommer under the bus in another thread. What a wonderful contradiction.

I always get the feeling that Fran yells, then he gives a pat on the butt.

It always comes across that he is angry not because his players aren't great shooters or athletes or aren't good in general, but because they are good and fail to play to their abilities.

For instance, he wouldn't tell Basabe he sucks, but would tell him that he is too important to be breaking down on the defensive end. I think the players, with the exception of May, seem to be playing more confidently. Last year the Hawks would have tanked it by now, this team isn't good, but they respond well to adversity for the most part.

Agreed, Hawkstrat. There was a great example in the one of the last timeouts. It was after some miscues and Fran was a little heated. They showed the Iowa huddle and Gatens had his arm around Fran. Breaking from the huddle Fran said something to Marble and gave him an emphatic pat on the butt. Fran appears to have really connected with the guys. Good stuff to see. Good things ahead for Iowa basketball.

Motivation is motivation and Fran does know how to motivate his players! I agree with Gus, Fran will be a special coach at Iowa before it is all said and done.

Latest posts