Greatest American Male Olympian?

Who is the greatest American male Olympian?

• Jesse Owens

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Al Oerter

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Mark Spitz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carl Lewis

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Michael Phelps

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
A list w/o Gable is worthless. None of these other guys were in sports where other athletes have an impact on how another person does. Yes, someone can run faster than everybody else, but no one can make you run/swim/vault worse. Gable went through an entire Olympic tournament w/o giving up a point. Iowa board=bias, I know.

I think you have to qualify what it means to be a "Great Olympian". I agree with both sides; if it's wins, Phelps. If you include the human equation into it, Owens, hands down. I give it to Phelps, because he did it over more Games.

Phelps smokes dope and still beats the best in the world. Just think what a huge inspiration he is to all the stoners out there.

Owens is greatest from a symbolic perspective (big ol "FU" to the Nazi's...although he was probably only marginally more accepted as a human being in his home country at the time).

As far as performance goes - Phelps. I get what people are saying about the differences between track & swimming, but he just finds a way to win over & over. He's a serial winner.

Owens' victories are only symbolic in hindsight. Yeah, he embarrassed Hitler and his racists ideals, and Hitler refused to shake hands with him. You know who else refused to shake hands with him? President Roosevelt. Rather than return to the USA as a hero of his country, within the year he was reduced to racing horses at Negro league baseball games.

Owens' victories are only symbolic in hindsight. Yeah, he embarrassed Hitler and his racists ideals, and Hitler refused to shake hands with him. You know who else refused to shake hands with him? President Roosevelt. Rather than return to the USA as a hero of his country, within the year he was reduced to racing horses at Negro league baseball games.

...And you think these facts hurt Owens' case for greatest? The fact that he was entirely unappreciated by everyone, including his own nation, adds to the greatness of his achievement.

And what do you mean, only symbolic in hindsight? I dare you to name a more symbolic Olympic moment (in the spirit of American men displaying greatness) than Jesse Owens on the winner's stand, saluting during the national anthem...with Adolf watching from his box suite.

Owens's greatest achievement came in a span of 45 minutes on May 25, 1935, during the Big Ten meet at Ferry Field in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where he set three world records and tied a fourth. He equaled the world record for the 100 yard dash (9.4 seconds); and set world records in the long jump (26 ft 8 1⁄4 in/8.13 m, a world record that would last 25 years); 220-yard (201.2 m) sprint (20.3 seconds); and 220-yard (201.2m) low hurdles (22.6 seconds, becoming the first to break 23 seconds)

Phelps smokes dope and still beats the best in the world. Just think what a huge inspiration he is to all the stoners out there.

Ironic that Jamaica finishes 1-2 in 100 meters as well?

Shawn White says hello as well.

FTR ...I'm old school and love the exploits of owens, thorp, lewis, ali, gable, spitz et al...but sports are more competitive just by the nature that they play a much larger role in the world today with more athletes and more money. To dominate one sport in such a way, for so many years and so many disciplines in this day and age is unprecedented, and wont be equated in any sport for some time.

Also, you have to discount medal count or then add to the equation apollo ohno or eric heidan, as they won multiple medals over multiple olympics, but are not in consideration, albeit winter olympians.

Phelps absolutely dominated a sport like no other. He dominated through three olympic games. He is the most decorated olympian in history.

Arguably, no one has ever been more dominant at a single sport. That, and the training required to be great at swimming over that period of time is mind blowing.

The Owens argument is compelling, though.

It is Owens.

You have to view this through the lens of the goals and stated purpose of the modern olympics, and through that perspective, Owens trumps them all.

Phelps absolutely dominated a sport like no other. He dominated through three olympic games. He is the most decorated olympian in history.

Arguably, no one has ever been more dominant at a single sport. That, and the training required to be great at swimming over that period of time is mind blowing.

The Owens argument is compelling, though.

It's Phelps. Owens won his golds in one day. Phelps dominated his sport for 12 years.

Latest posts