Great win!

One advantage the Hawks had was conditioning

The buckeyes were fatigued in the first half with a lot of time on the clock

Second half, they simply could not keep up with the intense hawk pressure on D and the
the relentless attack on offense

They were fried as a greasy spoon's hashbrowns the last 5/6 minutes of the
second half

Clock management the last 3/4 minutes was perfection

Fran's substitution patterns are masterful

Jordan is quite a necessary component of this team

As a decoy, for certain, being a constant potential threat on the perimeter

He and Connor, Partick, and The Twins have more game savvy than most
teams they play: Players and Coaches combined

Jordan has the ability to get underneath the skin of the opponents, his deliberate
style on the free-throw line is infuriating to the opposition

This team might have more potential than last year to advance to the second round

It's All Good
I'm tripling down on what I've already doubled down. This team is built for the tournament more than any team in the Fran era. I'll stake my reputation on it.

When was the last time you can remember Iowa being allowed to body players on the road. Hell they couldn't do it against Michigan at home, got called for every ticky tack. Hope this is a new trend by the refs to allow Iowa to fight back when they are getting roughed up by their opponents. The real test will be against MSU. If Iowa beats them and can play aggressive defense this can be the start of a wild finish. One thing though, OSU has no Bigs to throw at Iowa, MSU will.

There felt to be a flow to the game, similar to back in the day. I didn't realize how calling every tick-tack foul by refs really played into the flow of the game until watching that game. Took me back to the 1980's game. Calling every touch foul stops the game and really inhibits the flow.

Watching that game made me realize who we match up well against and who we don't. We had generally feared that we do not match up against big bodies like Illinois and Purdue. But, where I think we really get killed is teams that can nail the 3 (which both of those teams can, btw). Yes, we do not have any really big bodies, but our post players are long and decent defenders and most bigs don't consistently put the ball in the hoop like Garza did. We can live with giving up some 6 footers in the lane. Its teams that can bomb that kill us because we are not a good rotating team on the perimeter.

So, OSU was scoring in the paint some, but they could not hit the broad side of a barn from 3. Thus, we got the match up we need.

The next three teams we play are more perimeter oriented. Let's hope they don't get hot.

Latest posts