Great win, but plenty to work on

First half: 35 plays, 160 yards
Second half: 25 plays, 24 yards

Defense and special teams out of this world...offense, not so much.

Yes, and the first qtr was 30 yards on I dont know how many plays. So really it was 54 yards of offense in 3 qtrs and 120 yards in the 2nd qtr. But good enough to win. And remember in the 2nd half the hawks with the turnovers had short fields in their possessions and the fumble TD recovery skipped an offensive possession. Then with 10 minutes to go Kirk put the running game in neutral as in no fumbles.

The Hankins first INT lit a fire in the offense, maybe they made some blocking scheme changes but all of a sudden the running game was getting 8 yard runs and a few bigger ones, Petras made some great throws and there were great catches. The soft touch TD pass to Jones was a beauty on both ends with the OLine doing the blocking.

I don't fully disagree and, again, TOs are part of the game, but they are a flukey thing. "Make your own luck" and all that, sure, and there's no doubt you can see giveaway/takeaway trends form over the course of a season, but on a game by game basis? They can be extremely flukey.

I enjoyed the hell out of the game and am also loving life @ 2-0. I'm just advocating for HN to take a look at the box today. Other than TOs, thay was a pretty one sided game. What would the outcome have been if we were +3? +2? That level of O production won't always be enough.
about 130 yards of ISU offense was in the last 6 minutes, down by 17. Iowa managed the game well, scored when they had a chance and won the time of possession..Iowa did not need to take chances or be too aggressive with the ball. Turnovers are no more flukey that inflated stats

We have seen this before. I mean we think we will wake up one day and see something different, but we wont.

We are an elite defense with an elite special teams and and average offense. Or soon to be an average offense. That is Excellent Iowa football. We will never have an elite offense.

This is the year where our defense and STs carry us to 13-0 (?), but surely the championship. The expectation has been set.
Never have an elite offense? We don't even have an average offense, nor does it look like we will anytime soon. ISU defense is good, but not that good. Our offense is trash again.

Never have an elite offense? We don't even have an average offense, nor does it look like we will anytime soon. ISU defense is good, but not that good. Our offense is trash again.

Well, by average I mean in the 50s nationally.

I think the OL could be solid. I also think Goodson may be the 2nd best back KF has had (after Shonn Greene), but somethings not quite clicking in the passing game.

Honestly, I think it's more on the WRs than it is on Petras. I've seen Petras make some very good throws situationally, but it seems like a lot of times (too often) there is just nothing there. Spencer ends up eating it, making a (deliberately) errant throw, or trying to force it to a TE. Someone smarter than me is going to have to figure out what to do about that. LaPorta is an NFL talent, but his coaches and buddies at WR need to help him out.

We don't need 300 yds and 3 TDs out of the passing game every week - shit no - but I think we need a bit more efficiency than what we've seen so far, cuz teams are going to just collapse on Goodson.
A bit more efficiency? Our offense is terrible again. Petras does not see the field at all, and as soon as he has to move his feet the play is over. Goodson was wide open for a td on the ball he threw over Laporta's head in the end zone, and Lechey was wide open downfield on a pass he forced to Laporta earlier in the game. Those were just 2 plays that I could see on TV, so I am sure there were more. Several of the 2 yard dump offs were because he wasn't patient enough in the pocket, and the sacks were inexcusable, and could have been avoided if he could even remotely move in the pocket. 11/21 and a QBR of 36 is brutal no matter what kind of a defense he was facing.

A bit more efficiency? Our offense is terrible again. Petras does not see the field at all, and as soon as he has to move his feet the play is over. Goodson was wide open for a td on the ball he threw over Laporta's head in the end zone, and Lechey was wide open downfield on a pass he forced to Laporta earlier in the game. Those were just 2 plays that I could see on TV, so I am sure there were more. Several of the 2 yard dump offs were because he wasn't patient enough in the pocket, and the sacks were inexcusable, and could have been avoided if he could even remotely move in the pocket. 11/21 and a QBR of 36 is brutal no matter what kind of a defense he was facing.
You’ve hated the Hawkeyes since you came here. Why don’t you just go burn your gear and buy some Ohio State hoodies.

You’d be happier and the shitty Hawkeyes will just disappoint you anyway.

about 130 yards of ISU offense was in the last 6 minutes, down by 17. Iowa managed the game well, scored when they had a chance and won the time of possession..Iowa did not need to take chances or be too aggressive with the ball. Turnovers are no more flukey that inflated stats
Yeah, it's a fair counterpoint to make.

We also don't know how good ISU will be this year. They might end up being the second coming of the Steel Curtain. Too soon to tell.

I see the building blocks of an effective offense, just incremental improvements needed. With our D and overall philosophy, I don't even think we need "good", just "ok".

The schedule this year looks cushy af, but I have been watching football a long time. At least one team will end up better than projected and you can probably also just about count on ending up in a dogfight with a team that, on paper, you should roll. We're going to need some offensive production at some point and I am just hoping that, between now and then, we see some adjustments.

There will always be something to improve on. Got to give the Clowns some credit they have a pretty solid defense probably the best in the Big 12. Hostile crowd Petras looked nervous early but take the win and be happy. 2 and 0 is all that matters.

NoT going to try to make a lot out of it at moment. We started the season with two teams ranked above us and won both games. My take is if they are ranked then we should be playing a quality team that have players too. So with that being said, I didn't expect them to just roll over and our offense steam roll them. We did what we needed to. Great defense and manageable offense that took what was given. We won and 2 and 0. I'll take it!

Some Game Stats:

Indeed we need to work on the offense, but must give the Clones credit for their
D despite allowing 27 points.....

Riley Moss had 8 tackles: 7 Solo

Spencers QB Rating: 33.6

Purdy's QB Rating: 16.2

Hawkeye Rushing: 39 for 67 Yards: Average Carry: 1.7 Yards

Cyclone Rushing: 27 for 87 Yards: Average Carry 3.2 Yards

Hawks had 11 Pass Receptions for 106 Yards

Hawks had 3 Pass Interceptions

Clones had 24 Pass Receptions for 252 Yards

Clones had Zero Pass Interceptions

Clones had 1 punt return for 11 Yards and Zero kickoff returns

The Bend Don't Break Philosophy is Golden

Have to give the Clone D credit for containing our rushing game
And the Passing game to a minor extent

Bottom Line is the MFing Score, Jack: 27-17 at their House

Their last-ditch score was an anomaly, and I am personally not going to consider it

Yeah, it's a fair counterpoint to make.

We also don't know how good ISU will be this year. They might end up being the second coming of the Steel Curtain. Too soon to tell.

I see the building blocks of an effective offense, just incremental improvements needed. With our D and overall philosophy, I don't even think we need "good", just "ok".

The schedule this year looks cushy af, but I have been watching football a long time. At least one team will end up better than projected and you can probably also just about count on ending up in a dogfight with a team that, on paper, you should roll. We're going to need some offensive production at some point and I am just hoping that, between now and then, we see some adjustments.

All they really need is a competent QB

Hawkeye Rushing: 39 for 67 Yards: Average Carry: 1.7 Yards

I am not trying to be super picky here but Petras' -23 negative sack yardage is and a couple short runs are in the hawk run stats.

I think our running backs were about 30 carries for 85 yards or about 2.7 yards per carry. now that is not running over the other team's defense but also I think the hawks had 9 carries for maybe 9 yards late in the 4th qtr.

So for most of the game our run game was about 3 yards per carry, not great but still serviceable enough to keep a team honest and not sell out on the pass rush on first and second down.

I hope the passing game can get in the 60-65% completion range even throwing short passes so we can throw play action on first down to back off defenses from our LOS.

meh....it is the blueprint how they win games the rest of season. Might as well buckle up now.
I think BF s the play calling stinks, especially in the 3rd and 4th quarter. We were more successful running on the outside student body left student body right. We did not get a first down in the last 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. We milk the clock the last 8 minutes which means we were playing not to lose once again KF s philosophy.. Thank God for our defense because our offense only scored 6 points In the 1st half. Petrus had a couple good throws But for Working with a quarterback coach all summer he needs to put that to use during the game… Our offense has to do something or defense is gonna be tanked by the Maryland game. We're still Vanalla on offense and that's not gonna win a championship...

The Indiana and ISU games have been unique in that Iowa got out to big leads and shut things down on offense. Iowa moved the ball against ISU in the second quarter and got 2 TD's. Thanks to ISU's turnovers in the second half Iowa got up to a commanding lead and did what Iowa usually does in that case.

The Indiana and ISU games have been unique in that Iowa got out to big leads and shut things down on offense. Iowa moved the ball against ISU in the second quarter and got 2 TD's. Thanks to ISU's turnovers in the second half Iowa got up to a commanding lead and did what Iowa usually does in that case.
OK with me.

In most football games, the goal is for the offense to wear out the opposing defense late in the game. In this game, our defense wore out their offense so bad that they pulled their "heisman" quarterback.

I felt a lot more comfortable in the second half with the D on the field than the O. Kirk recognized this and took no risks. The O made the plays when they needed to, complimented by the amazing special teams plays (punts/returns) and the ridiculous play by our defense. The offense may have not produced a lot of yardage, but we more than made up for it in punting yards and returns. Hell, look at the average starting position for both teams! That's Ferentzball at its' finest.

What a great day to be a Hawk.

Latest posts