Great finals today!

WildTurkey

Ramos was really mad he lost. Clark gets early takedown and then shows good defense the rest of the way.
The young Ballweg brothers are very talented!
Mike Evans did what he had to. He showed more offense on his feet than i expected. Lofthouse looked polished.
Telford looked solid. He rode Blake for the entire second period. Rasing really has no offensive set ups.
Its going to be a good year! Lira looked pretty ripped up also!

What in the Ramos/Clark match did you take away from it? Are we maybe putting too much expectations into Ramos? I don't really think Clark has the offense to match with the top talent, which I thought Ramos was.

Ramos was mad, is it because he should have been awarded a td or he felt Clark stalled?

Hopefully Ramos was mad at himself. He was unable to finish shots. good scrambles and whizzer going on in that match. Tyler has such great defense. Clark will win most of his matches by decision.
I believe the weight is still undecided. Maybe wont know til after Midlands!. I think Clark knows he is a senior and its now or never. I wouldnt mine Ramos riding the pine as a sophmore. He will still have 2 years left.

I would really love to see the ballweg brothers challenge Montel and Carew. I dont believe they would win but they are not far off. Jake B actuallu just might beat Dylan.

I was bummed to not see Dzwiza (sp) wrestle. I have high hopes for him. So much depth at the lower weights on this team. straight up we are loaded!

I followed it on the TOM blog. I was kind of disappointed in some matches, particulary 133 (hoping to see massive improvements from Ramos), 165 (I thought Evans would win easily), and HWT (Same old Rasing). I'll chalk it up to preseason wrestling and daily familiarity of the opponents.

I was pleased with what I read about 174 though.

I think Clark proved he's putting in the time, living the life, and has the right attitude. He got a double leg for the only TD of the match and rode Ramos solidly. That speaks volumes for his ability to compete with the field that is 133 this year. Whether it's Clark or Ramos the Hawks are sitting well at this weight!

Disappointed with Hwt. This weight is still wide open. Neither big guy with a TD...

I would say Clark did all that last year as well. I just don't think he's good enough to be a high AA. I was hoping we would see a much improved Ramos, but apparently not. Ramos is not great at defense so for Clark to only get one TD means he'll have trouble competing with the likes of Oliver, Futrell, Stieber, Carter, and Mango.

Maybe his defense is good enough to hold off the other four (no one is beating Oliver), but if he gets behind, it's over. Ramos has the arsenal to win shoot outs with those guys, but he doesn't deserve the spot right now. Maybe he can regain it through head to head at some tourneys.

I followed it on the TOM blog. I was kind of disappointed in some matches, particulary 133 (hoping to see massive improvements from Ramos), 165 (I thought Evans would win easily), and HWT (Same old Rasing). I'll chalk it up to preseason wrestling and daily familiarity of the opponents.

I was pleased with what I read about 174 though.

Why would you think Evans would win eaily? Nick Moore is pretty good. We have two horses there.

Anyone know why Dwieza (sp) didn't get any matches? I still think it will be Ramos in the end. He does have more offense and that will always win matches the way the coaches want. I think we may have 4 weights we may see guys alternating some plus being decided in tournaments against other competition that being 133, 149, 165, hwt. One that was most impressive to me was St John totally dominating Kelly by major. Not that he can't do it, just hard to do against guys you wrestle all the time. We have a LONG way to go at 197. Hope to see steady progression by end of year but concern is in tight duals concern about giving up big points. I am ready for the season to start

I would say Clark did all that last year as well. I just don't think he's good enough to be a high AA. I was hoping we would see a much improved Ramos, but apparently not. Ramos is not great at defense so for Clark to only get one TD means he'll have trouble competing with the likes of Oliver, Futrell, Stieber, Carter, and Mango.

Maybe his defense is good enough to hold off the other four (no one is beating Oliver), but if he gets behind, it's over. Ramos has the arsenal to win shoot outs with those guys, but he doesn't deserve the spot right now. Maybe he can regain it through head to head at some tourneys.

Why doesn't he deserve the spot right now? did you think that going into march last year? because in my eyes(and brands) he earned the spot last year, so what's different now? don't put too much stock into a wrestle off cuz most college coaches dont

Why doesn't he deserve the spot right now? did you think that going into march last year? because in my eyes(and brands) he earned the spot last year, so what's different now? don't put too much stock into a wrestle off cuz most college coaches dont

It was just frustration on hoping Ramos could put this to bed this year and we wouldn't have to have this discussion with Clark.

As far as last year, who cares?

You also have to keep in mind that Clark and Ramos are very familiar with each other, which will always favor the defensive wrestler. Also, this is Clarks senior year, his last shot, whereas Ramos is only a sophomore so I definately think, of the two, it would be easier for Clark to get up for this match.

Also, does anyone know what the weigh-in rules were for this? I can't imagine it was scratch weight. But whether it was or if it was simply a ranged weigh-in (perhaps within 5 lbs of your weight) it would be the first time this low for nearly everyone competing which would be a factor in some performances.

First, I thought Clark looked great! Almost scored some back points on a couple of tilts while on top as well. Really, Clark was pretty much in control most of the match. I don't read into this too much though, Clark would be a great 133. Ramos looked fine as well. This weight may go down to a midlands rematch. We will see.

Second, Evans looked better in the nuetral position than I expected. Still had some trouble finishing but overall was good enough to score that TD. Moore took it hard. Both guys are great options at 165.

HWT was disappointing in that no TD's or even any real tries at it. Telford looks like he will be a hammer on top and may be a guy that wins a lot of matches the way he won Saturday or in OT situations. He looks like he could use another 25# at some point.

McDonuogh looks like he added some upper body muscle. Still has that overall skinny look but man he really looks more ripped than he did last year. I think he is on a mission this year.

I saw Marion with ice on his shoulder watching the matches. Any up date on where he is at on the injury front as well as Carew & Gambrall?

133 better get it figured out because Futrell and Stieber both had outstanding weekends. I know Ramos can beat Futrell, but that Stieber kid will be a handful.

Latest posts