grass vs field turf

Ridiculous Kinnick Stadium can't maintain a natural surface. It would be different if there were high school games, concerts, etc....but there are not. 7 football games per year. Field turf sucks

There's nothing like good, well maintained, natural grass. It would seem like a Big-time, university program, like Iowa could hire well trained, turf guys that could keep it good for 7 games a year, until November, yeah.

After the renovation of Kinnick was completed it changed the field conditions. The grass just wouldn't grow properly. This is very common in stadiums that are fully enclosed and the playing surface is below ground level. I have been to Lincoln Financial Field in Philly and their natural grass field is terrible. Field turf is best choice for Kinnick.

Prove it. I have never heard this claim. I believe it was a year or so ago coaches were all mad at Mizzou for having lame field turf and tons of guys losing ACLs
What do you expect from Mizzou? I know from first hand knowledge that they still water Farrout field and have popup sprinklers installed. When I inquired why it was explained to me that the sand/ground up tire mixture will get to dry and then separate leading to stratification. I have been on that field in early July when the temperature near the surface was over 130F. It definitely is way more cushy than natural grass. I could see where the type of shoes/cleats worn would have a major effect on the "grabiness" of the turf. Water reduces that grab significantly. What I don't know is if they still put water on it in the Fall during the football season.

Our local high school is building a new Rec Facility and putting field turf in that will serve as football and soccer field. The study they used shows field turf being cheaper than natural grass over its life even with replacing it every so many years vs maintaining a grass field (watering, mowing, seeding, painting) not to mention turf drains better.

Natural grass at Kinnick is a thing of beauty: I agree I wish they would go back to grass

Niles-Kinnick-Stadium.jpg

Latest posts