grass vs field turf

bigjim

I've noticed in the last few yrs that more and more colleges are going to field turf. I myself like natural grassfields better. I was wondering what everybody else thinks?

I've noticed in the last few yrs that more and more colleges are going to field turf. I myself like natural grassfields better. I was wondering what everybody else thinks?
Field turf is hot, natural grass is cool....

I'd like Iowa to go back to real grass but I don't see that happening. Outside of painting it every so often I don't imagine there is much maintenance involved. At least Iowa's looks pretty good. Some schools, like Minnesota, looks awful but they'll be getting a big upgrade now that the Vikings are using it for a few years. Even small colleges and high schools are going to field turf, especially in regions with cold fall weather.

They tried natural grass for a while and found Kinnick Stadium has major drainage problems. I think that Iowa vs. Iowa State game they played in a giant puddle was the last of the natural grass.

Ridiculous Kinnick Stadium can't maintain a natural surface. It would be different if there were high school games, concerts, etc....but there are not. 7 football games per year. Field turf sucks

Ridiculous Kinnick Stadium can't maintain a natural surface. It would be different if there were high school games, concerts, etc....but there are not. 7 football games per year. Field turf sucks

If you read old accounts of games at Kinnick, it's always had a drainage problem both in and around the stadium. Accounts right after it was built had major complaints about the whole area being a bog. People would lose their shoes in the muck around the stadium.

Actually, some research indicates Field Turf reduces injuries and seriousness of injuries substantially.

Prove it. I have never heard this claim. I believe it was a year or so ago coaches were all mad at Mizzou for having lame field turf and tons of guys losing ACLs

All that said nothing looks better than natural grass. I feel like playing on grass could be an advantage for iowa if they went back to it. Slow down some of the speed of the other teams and allow the game to be won lost in the trenches.

In 7 games a field at any location should be able to sustain grass. It just requires some people who know what they are doing.

Prove it. I have never heard this claim. I believe it was a year or so ago coaches were all mad at Mizzou for having lame field turf and tons of guys losing ACLs

I am not sure if you can access these links, but this one suggests lower injury incidence and severity on FieldTurf vs. natural grass in a 3-year prospective study on college football lower-extremity injuries. This one shows the same thing in a five-year study on women's college soccer. Some studies from professional sports have found similar results, but like all of science, there are also some studies that disagree.

I am not sure if you can access these links, but this one suggests lower injury incidence and severity on FieldTurf vs. natural grass in a 3-year prospective study on college football lower-extremity injuries. This one shows the same thing in a five-year study on women's college soccer. Some studies from professional sports have found similar results, but like all of science, there are also some studies that disagree.

I have nothing to back this up but I would think grass would be safer than field turf for lower leg injuries. My only basis would be that turf will at least give way (like taking a divot playing golf). Field turf doesn't give way like that.

They tried natural grass for a while and found Kinnick Stadium has major drainage problems. I think that Iowa vs. Iowa State game they played in a giant puddle was the last of the natural grass.

All they would have to do is improve drainage or install a vacuum type system under the field. Blamo problem solved. Iowa would certainly have the money to do either of those improvements.

I think that certainly applies to the old AstroTurf, but FieldTurf does have "give" to it because of the base of shredded rubber.

The problem with the field at Kinnick for that ISU game in 08 was the drainage system was crap. It was clogged with sand. When they installed the new field they also installed a drainage system that can handle 20 inches of rain per hour. It was also designed to construct a natural surface with good drainage underneath if they decided to go that route again. Tear out the turf and put in grass.

Natural grass at Kinnick is a thing of beauty:

Niles-Kinnick-Stadium.jpg

Latest posts