Grantland article on Bielema

There are no NFL teams that I know of that would play the style of football that both Bielema and KF enjoy so much. No winning teams anyways. Head coaches, like politicians, deserve to be changed out from time to time when they lose their willingness to change and/or adapt.

I don't hire coaches last I check, so my opinion on him means nothing. I think we could do way, way, way better than that Azz bag though. If he doesn't win next year, he gonna get fired anyway.....if that happens are you saying that our best option is a failed SEC coach?

What did you post when we took a failed Colonial Athletic Association head coach in 1999?

There are no NFL teams that I know of that would play the style of football that both Bielema and KF enjoy so much. No winning teams anyways. Head coaches, like politicians, deserve to be changed out from time to time when they lose their willingness to change and/or adapt.

And yet he's taken a crap team and, two seasons later missed out on going to OT vs. Alabama by a missed extra point, hung tight with Mississ. State and has fielded a team that would win the Big 10 West.

I love me some Biels being the next Iowa coach.

I don't hire coaches last I check, so my opinion on him means nothing. I think we could do way, way, way better than that Azz bag though. If he doesn't win next year, he gonna get fired anyway.....if that happens are you saying that our best option is a failed SEC coach?

A failed SEC coach that's won THIS conference 3 years in a row. Not sure who you'll find that's better, but best of luck to you.

Arkansas would probably win the Big Ten West. They lost to Alabama by 1 point, Texas A&M in overtime and Mississippi State by 1 score. Their SEC schedule has to be the hardest conference schedule in the nation. They play Auburn, Texas A&M, Alabama, Georgia, Miss St., LSU, Ole Miss and Missouri. The easiest conference game is Missouri later.

Ouch.. Talk about a meat grinder. No wonder they aren't winning any games.

I always think back to Iowa when KF took over. Terrible in 1999, and the record in 2000 didn't look much better on the surface, but their wins were in conference and their losses typically much more competitive. You could see the improvement throughout the season. It sounds like that's what's happening with Arkansas.

Bielema inherited a program that employed John L Smith. Nuff said

They are much superior this year to what they were last year and I am amazed at how he has the line playing so well. He happens to be in the toughest division in college football and from rankings, one of the toughest in the history of the sport. Not just conference, but division.

His style would work perfectly at Iowa, and he also doesn't apologize for kicking your teeth in and being daring.

Arkansas went 10-3 in 2010, 11-2 in 2011, then had a bad year at 4-8 in 2012 under JLS.

But its not like the program was absolutely terrible. Biels took over a program one season removed from an 11 win season. And went 0-8 in conference.

His style would work perfectly at Iowa, and he also doesn't apologize for kicking your teeth in and being daring.

That's what I like about him. Just such a different mentality than what we've seen at Iowa. He coaches like he wants to destroy his opponent, and I think that's how a coach ought to do it. I'm really jealous of what he (and Barry A) did at Wisconsin. Iowa could have built that type of program.

Blue collar work ethic, walk on, team captain, tutored under Fry/Alvarez/Snyder/Ferentz, and has never chosen to delete his Hawk tatoo! Reminds me of Alvarez in many respects. Heck let's just tell him if he behaves and elevates the program we'll make him the next AD.

......or how about Ferentz to AD and hire Bielema? Somehow that sounds like oil and water.

More relevant is Bielema's Big Ten record. Burt's team was Big Ten champ 3 of 7 years. That's not including a 12-1 record in 2006 when tOSU won it. Also, finished ranked 6 of 7 years.

I would actually put Bob Stoops on this list also. They would be one and two and I really wouldn't care that much who was one and who was two.

This, if Ferentz were to retire...Barta's first call has to be to Bobby...I don't care if he shoots him down as soon as the words come out of his mouth...you have to at least call him.

I'm just so conflicted over Bielema...part of me knows he would probably do great here...and I love the fact he would destroy teams....

But then the other part of me thinks I would almost have to wash my hands before and after games because the guy seems like that much of a total dirt bag.

I love the idea of BB being the next coach. I have told people also that's why he left for Arkansas.
One thing to think about, he would put his foot on ISU's neck and not let up. I know they're not the most important team on the schedule, but that would be nice.

Arkansas went 10-3 in 2010, 11-2 in 2011, then had a bad year at 4-8 in 2012 under JLS.

But its not like the program was absolutely terrible. Biels took over a program one season removed from an 11 win season. And went 0-8 in conference.

Interesting you post that. The Hawkeyes had 2 out of 3 winning seasons before Kirk took over but Iowa was a complete disaster when Kirk took over, right? Right? Truth is, just like Arkansas Kirk took over a solid PROGRAM (money; tradition; etc.) in a weaker conference and struggled his first two years.

Interesting you post that. The Hawkeyes had 2 out of 3 winning seasons before Kirk took over but Iowa was a complete disaster when Kirk took over, right? Right? Truth is, just like Arkansas Kirk took over a solid PROGRAM (money; tradition; etc.) in a weaker conference and struggled his first two years.

Biels took over a program a season removed from 11 wins.

Kirk took over a program a season removed from 7 wins.

They ended a 17-game SEC losing streak. Whee.

Don't forget, if we get Burt we get Jen "Karma" Biels as well. We might soon pine for Tanya Alford.

I'd feel better if he lost 100 lbs. Hate seeing morbidly obese coaches like freidgen,weis and mangino out there, but if he can find w's in those lbs I'm happy.

Latest posts