Grad Transfers Available

I’m think I’m 50/50 on Cook staying right now. I think he has a good enough head on his shoulders that he isn’t going to make what would appear to be a pretty boneheaded decision.

I’m with you, no questions asked Fran should be out if we don’t dance next year. However I think you will see a lot of people that will move into the “well we were close and Pat is coming in camp” let’s not let Fran go yet.

I won't be one of em. It's dance or bust for me or I will be calling for Fran's head and there will be 0 excuse.

I’m think I’m 50/50 on Cook staying right now. I think he has a good enough head on his shoulders that he isn’t going to make what would appear to be a pretty boneheaded decision.

I’m with you, no questions asked Fran should be out if we don’t dance next year. However I think you will see a lot of people that will move into the “well we were close and Pat is coming in camp” let’s not let Fran go yet.

We go to the NIT and Fran gets a commit from Carton plus having Pat come in. It's gonna be hard to fire Fran. Fire him then, those guys go buh-bye and we're gonna be a garbage program for a little, maybe a long while.

Not saying we shouldn't fire him, just that it would be tough. Barta would come out and state he's personally disappointed Iowa didn't make the NCAAs, that it's the expectation of the basketball program, yada yada yada.

We go to the NIT and Fran gets a commit from Carton plus having Pat come in. It's gonna be hard to fire Fran. Fire him then, those guys go buh-bye and we're gonna be a garbage program for a little, maybe a long while.

Not saying we shouldn't fire him, just that it would be tough. Barta would come out and state he's personally disappointed Iowa didn't make the NCAAs, that it's the expectation of the basketball program, yada yada yada.
Well I don’t think we are getting Carton so we don’t have to worry about that, especially if Connor gets big minutes this year.

Keeping a coach because we think his son is pretty good and he signed a decent recruit would be very dumb.

Iowa basketball missed the dance only 5 times in 20 years between 1979-1999, for no reason should we let Fran go for his 7th missed dance in 10 years.

Well I don’t think we are getting Carton so we don’t have to worry about that, especially if Connor gets big minutes this year.

Keeping a coach because we think his son is pretty good and he signed a decent recruit would be very dumb.

Iowa basketball missed the dance only 5 times in 20 years between 1979-1999, for no reason should we let Fran go for his 7th missed dance in 10 years.

Actually, if his son is as good as his ranking, keeping Fran because of Patrick is the smart thing to do. You can always get rid of him after Patrick is gone. Players win games and top 30 kids at iowa dont happen often enough to pass up. Pretty much any coach could win big with Wieskamp and a legit top 30 recruit to build around.

Actually, if his son is as good as his ranking, keeping Fran because of Patrick is the smart thing to do. You can always get rid of him after Patrick is gone. Players win games and top 30 kids at iowa dont happen often enough to pass up. Pretty much any coach could win big with Wieskamp and a legit top 30 recruit to build around.
Oh god no.

Louisville had like 5 top 50 guys on their team this year and didn’t make the dance.

Mississippi State has two top 50 guys and a bunch of other top 100 guys and didn’t dance (they did make a nice NIT run if that’s what you’re looking for)

LSU has signed like 4 top 50 guys in the last three years and hasn’t gone to the dance.

If Fran misses the dance for the 6th time in 9 years he deserves to be canned, no if ands or buts about it.

Discussions about Fran being gone are a waste of everyone's time and energy. He just signed an extension. And his son is an elite recruit. It doesn't really matter what anyone wants one way or the other. He's not going anywhere.

I have trouble believing Connor is the answer at PG.
I have trouble seeing Patrick as a big time stud or difference maker who will take us to the promised land.
I have trouble being optimistic that we are going to be an NCAA team next year without a good grad transfer or JUCO, especially if we lose Cook and Fran is still coaching the same dumb way and playing 10 guys.

I really hope I am wrong.

Firing a coach who has two 4-star guys coming in would be dumb and lacking in foresight. I would agree that if Patrick is the only prized recruit for 2019, and we're coming off another season without an NCAA appearance, Fran's future should be discussed for sure.

Firing a coach who has two 4-star guys coming in would be dumb and lacking in foresight. I would agree that if Patrick is the only prized recruit for 2019, and we're coming off another season without an NCAA appearance, Fran's future should be discussed for sure.
See my above response to PC about schools who have done way better than that on the recruiting trail and not made the dance.

Oh god no.

Louisville had like 5 top 50 guys on their team this year and didn’t make the dance.

Mississippi State has two top 50 guys and a bunch of other top 100 guys and didn’t dance (they did make a nice NIT run if that’s what you’re looking for)

LSU has signed like 4 top 50 guys in the last three years and hasn’t gone to the dance.

If Fran misses the dance for the 6th time in 9 years he deserves to be canned, no if ands or buts about it.

Does it really matter that there are a few random examples of teams that have recruited good and struggled? There are always going to be examples. I'll still take the odds of winning with locked up good recruits.

Does it really matter that there are a few random examples of teams that have recruited good and struggled? There are always going to be examples. I'll still take the odds of winning with locked up good recruits.
It’s just hard for me to fathom anyone wanting to watch Fran go for his fourth consecutive missed dance and 7th in 10 years if we don’t make it next year. Even ingoodco agrees and he has defended Fran more than many on this board, heck I’ve defended Fran at times.

Pat doesn’t look to me like an instant impact guy so while he may be ranked high I don’t know how much he moves the needle his freshman year.

At some point you have to hold Fran accountable for his performance.

It’s just hard for me to fathom anyone wanting to watch Fran go for his fourth consecutive missed dance and 7th in 10 years if we don’t make it next year. Even ingoodco agrees and he has defended Fran more than many on this board, heck I’ve defended Fran at times.

Pat doesn’t look to me like an instant impact guy so while he may be ranked high I don’t know how much he moves the needle his freshman year.

At some point you have to hold Fran accountable for his performance.

I'd almost agree. You have to hold him accountable, but lets say he has Patrick, Carton, and another top 50 guy in the fold. Then lets say he has a season like Nebraska this year finishing 13-5 in the conference, 22-11 overall, but just missing the tournament. Fire Fran?

Also, I just saw this article that pegs us 11th...and while I am optimistic we'll improve, I cannot disagree with any of their points. https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2018/4...ns-minnesota-maryland-purdue-indiana-michigan

Last edited:
I'd almost agree. You have to hold him accountable, but lets say he has Patrick, Carton, and another top 50 guy in the fold. Then lets say he has a season like Nebraska this year finishing 13-5 in the conference, 22-11 overall, but just missing the tournament. Fire Fran?
Okay sure.

If we get Carton (I’d put our chances at about 25%) and

Get another top 50 guy (10%) and

Win 13 conference games (5% - would also be one of the largest turnarounds in terms of wins in B1G conference history) and

Miss the dance

Then sure we we can keep Fran (so you’re saying there is a chance). But in all seriousness there is probably a better chance that one of us gets struck by lightning this year than all of that happening.

I won't be one of em. It's dance or bust for me or I will be calling for Fran's head and there will be 0 excuse.

IGC, i think i'm with you. But for grins, if we finish top 3 in B1G and B1G tourney, make NCAA but get bounced in 1st round, are you still on board with Fran? I think I would be. Once you get into a playoff situation, then it's "any given sunday." Look at Loyala Chi this season. BTW, THAT is a HC I would like to come to Iowa, some day, if Fran moves on.

All Fran has to do is have a good season every so often. He will have a job for as long as he wants provided Barta is still the AD.

Nobody except some on this board think we have a chance at Carton. What makes you think he is interested in us over the bluebloods that will surely come calling after this summer's AAU performances?

Discussions about Fran being gone are a waste of everyone's time and energy. He just signed an extension. And his son is an elite recruit. It doesn't really matter what anyone wants one way or the other. He's not going anywhere.
You’re right of course. He’s not going anywhere. His contract, his team being “young” and Gary Barta.

But a few are making the point, and I have too, is that he would deserve to be fired. And should be fired.

But he won’t be.

Also, I just saw this article that pegs us 11th...and while I am optimistic we'll improve, I cannot disagree with any of their points. https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2018/4...ns-minnesota-maryland-purdue-indiana-michigan
Some thoughts after reading the linked article.

Michigan - They have a great coach. And they always have talent. But I'm not buying the Matthews hype. Defenses focused on Wagner first and then Abdur-Rahkman and Robinson. And no one on this team can make a free throw. And the incoming freshmen won't be as good defensively as the departing players.

Michigan State - Agree.

Nebraska - Until they put together back to back seasons I won't be convinced they can. Are they this year's Northwestern?

Maryland - Agree.

Purdue - They lose 4 out of 5 starters. Perhaps the bench guys would have started for some of the weaker Big 10 teams. But then they wouldn't have the good bench and depth. So they have 1 really good player and 3 other guys believed to have upside. It's touch to win in the Big 10 with 4 players. Also, I don't get how comparable comments about Purdue and Indiana bode well for one and poorly for the other...contradictory IMO.

Ohio State - They lost just about everyone...almost as much as Purdue...and the Big 10 POY. They have a good coach but they have to have players.

Wisconsin - Generally agree with the comments. But the most important point was omitted. They are one more year removed from Bo...which matters more than anything else IMO.

Penn State - Agree with the comments but not optimistic about 8th.

Indiana - They have a good coach and were playing their best late in the year. Swap with Purdue in the standings.

Northwestern - They lost a lot...most importantly McIntosh. They underachieved this year.

Iowa - If the defense improves Iowa could be this year's Ohio State.

Illinois - Agree.

Minnesota - Agree.

Rutgers - Agree

Nobody except some on this board think we have a chance at Carton. What makes you think he is interested in us over the bluebloods that will surely come calling after this summer's AAU performances?

Because Iowa's campus is only 55 miles away; he is friends or at least has good relationships with Wieskamp and Patrick who are likely constantly working on him to go to Iowa; because he's being sold that with JW and Patrick, Iowa is going to turn it around and he could be the missing piece to really do good things; probably other factors we don't know about as well.

Latest posts