Gotta love it!!!

like a Spinal Tap drummer?

NeatDarkBeaver-size_restricted.gif

Plus he can get drafted and still play baseball right? Just because you're drafted doesn't mean you have to forgo college. At least I think. I just think it's going to take something like being a 1st or 2nd rounder and a clear path to the MLB to tear him away from what IMO is probably a life long dream. Connor and Pat know exactly what is said about them, they know exactly what is said about their dad and that has to be hella fuel for a competitive spirit. They want to be a part of it and that draw IMO is something that would be hard to walk away from.

He can play professional baseball and still be eligible to play college basketball. Murray got drafted by the A’s but still played football for Oklahoma.

Connor just can’t be payed to play basketball or sign with an agent.

I just think in the very near future Connor has to choose one or the other. The baseball team is in Florida right now and Connor is in Iowa/New Jersey. Next weekend the baseball team has a 4 game series in Hawaii and Connor will be playing 1 game against Indiana.

If Connor plays out this entire basketball season...which obviously he will...he'll likely miss over 20 baseball games. It just doesn't seem sustainable or practical

One standout who comes to mind who made it work was Kenny Lofton at Arizona. Of course, he only made it work with minor league baseball in the basketball off season. He was never really serious about college baseball.

The one where he was bashed in the face as he let go of the ball?
The officials had a bad angle to make that call on the foul in the face of Jordan. They were looking away from the action because they had swallowed their whistles on Iowa's end of the court. Guess officiating.

Connor really needs to figure out his 3 ball. 14%? I'm pretty sure I can go to a gym right now in my work clothes and shoot 14% from 3.

However, his 3:1 assist/TO ratio is solid and should only get better.
To be fair, it's a lot easier to shot in an open gym in your work clothes than it is to shoot in the flow of a Big 10 game.

He can play professional baseball and still be eligible to play college basketball. Murray got drafted by the A’s but still played football for Oklahoma.

Connor just can’t be payed to play basketball or sign with an agent.

The only issue would be during basketball post season play. MLB players and invitees start reporting to camp mid February, minor league players start reporting to camp in early March.

To be fair, it's a lot easier to shot in an open gym in your work clothes than it is to shoot in the flow of a Big 10 game.

well yeah but he's a D1 scholarship college athlete and Im a 37 year old with a receding hairline

One standout who comes to mind who made it work was Kenny Lofton at Arizona. Of course, he only made it work with minor league baseball in the basketball off season. He was never really serious about college baseball.

Pat Connaughton is currently playing for the Milwaukee Bucks. He played baskeball at Notre Dame for 4 years (2011-2015) and he played baseball for the Irish as well. He was drafted by the Padres in 2011 and the Orioles in 2014 (from Notre Dame). He played some minor league baseball for a bit (as a pitcher), but decided on basketball for now. The Orioles maintain his rights through 2020. From Wikipedia ...

At Notre Dame, Connaughton played for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish as a member of their college baseball and college basketball teams. In his freshman year for the basketball team, Connaughton was one of three players to appear in all of Notre Dame's 34 games. He averaged 7.0 points per game, 4.4 rebounds per game, and 0.9 assists per game while playing 24.1 minutes per game. The Fighting Irish appeared in the 2012 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament, but lost to Xavier University in the second round. Connaughton scored 10 points with two assists and two rebounds in 34 minutes of play during the loss. He then joined the baseball team as a relief pitcher.[4]

As a sophomore, in 2013, Connaughton averaged 8.9 points per game for the basketball team, and had a 1.71 ERA for the baseball team.[6][7] In the summer of 2013, he pitched in collegiate summer baseball for the Harwich Mariners of the Cape Cod Baseball League.[8] In his junior year, he averaged 13.8 PPG for the basketball team and had a 3.92 ERA in ten games started, which included two complete games, for the baseball team.[2][9]

After his junior year, he was forthright about his intent to return to Notre Dame for his senior basketball season, despite warnings that it would impact his prospects for the upcoming baseball draft.[10] He was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles of Major League Baseball (MLB) in the fourth round, with the 121st overall selection, of the 2014 MLB Draft.[5][11] One high-ranking MLB executive believed that Connaughton would have been drafted in the first two rounds had he not been committed to returning to Notre Dame for his senior basketball season, telling Goodman, "He definitely cost himself some money," as he expected Connaughton could have earned $1 million if he was willing to quit basketball.[2] He agreed to terms with the Orioles, receiving a signing bonus of over $400,000,[2] with the Orioles permitting Connaughton to play basketball for the Irish in his senior year.[12][13]

As a senior, Notre Dame's basketball team won its first Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) championship.[10] He took part in a 2015 tournament game against Kentucky for a Final Four berth, narrowly lost by his team after having sustained a lead until the six-second mark. Connaughton was determined to finish his degree at Notre Dame, and had a 3.0 grade point average with the university's Mendoza College of Business.[2] He ultimately graduated from Notre Dame in spring 2015.

It looked like his head was grazed right before the step back but the one after the shot looked like a flop on Jordan's part. The first one maybe should have been called but IMO the second one was a good no call.
Flop or not the NW defender had no right to touch him after the shot in his follow through, some acting but it was definitely a quick frustration jab.

He could take the Gesell path and not really be a distance shooter, but have that decent elbow jumper. Connor showed that a few times earlier in the season.

he's young...got a long ways to go.
He can shoot, he shot well in high school, just think he feels he has better options to pass to. Like to see him take the shots when the bigs kick it back to him and he's left wide open. That's gonna really open up the middle.

Plus he can get drafted and still play baseball right? Just because you're drafted doesn't mean you have to forgo college. At least I think. I just think it's going to take something like being a 1st or 2nd rounder and a clear path to the MLB to tear him away from what IMO is probably a life long dream. Connor and Pat know exactly what is said about them, they know exactly what is said about their dad and that has to be hella fuel for a competitive spirit. They want to be a part of it and that draw IMO is something that would be hard to walk away from.
I don't see Conner going minor league, many good players make it from the college level to the majors. Conner doesn't need minor league baseball, but if he really has a desire to play MLB he might need to choose. He is missing so much time he will have to impress to get any playing time this year. I think it comes down to what dream is most important to him, playing for dad and with Pat, or succeeding at a high level in baseball. I won't fault him whatever he decides.

The only issue would be during basketball post season play. MLB players and invitees start reporting to camp mid February, minor league players start reporting to camp in early March.

It's not really an issue if the MLB team allows it. The Cubs drafted a football player from Boise State, Joey Martarano, he played minor league ball until he had to report for football.

I don't see Conner going minor league, many good players make it from the college level to the majors. Conner doesn't need minor league baseball, but if he really has a desire to play MLB he might need to choose. He is missing so much time he will have to impress to get any playing time this year. I think it comes down to what dream is most important to him, playing for dad and with Pat, or succeeding at a high level in baseball. I won't fault him whatever he decides.

It is very rare for baseball players to go directly from college to the major leagues. Bob Horner comes to mind and I know there have been a couple of others.

It's not really an issue if the MLB team allows it. The Cubs drafted a football player from Boise State, Joey Martarano, he played minor league ball until he had to report for football.

I guess teams would probably know up front before they even drafted him that it's something Connor would potentially pursue. If anything it's probably some cheap marketing for an MLB team getting mentioned during the Big Ten or NCAA tournament games. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of Connor's baseball career this year.

It is very rare for baseball players to go directly from college to the major leagues. Bob Horner comes to mind and I know there have been a couple of others.
Dave Winfield was another. In fact, he was drafted by the NBA and NFL as well

Back then, the NBA draft had ten or twelve rounds and the NFL had fifteen. Teams could take flyers on players like Winfield who didn't play football in college and didn't play basketball full time.

I played baseball at a high-ish level, coached high school (successfully) at my alma mater until this coming spring, and I'm now back into IHSAA umpiring as my son hits 7th grade. I'm not in any way saying CM should ditch basketball or that if he was my kid I'd tell him to do anything different than what he's doing now, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I watched CM play baseball in person 4 times last year and I've seen a heck of a lot of his (baseball) tape. He is a legitimate B1G PG in basketball, but he is a high rounder in MLB and there are VERY few lefties with his height, reach, and hip turn. His swing is a more compact version of Mark Grace's which is scary because he's early in his college career, and he has longer arms than Mark Grace. Also, that walk-off from last year where he got some shit for the bat flip was no fluke. CM is a real deal baseball player who has the potential to make 7 figures.

If I were a GM i'd try to lure him away like Kyler Murray, no shit. Connor has 3 inches on David Ortiz and even though he doesn't have the build, he's got the bat speed.

A 6'6" 210 lefty who can hit is a fucking unicorn in the MLB and I would not be surprised if he goes that direction eventually
I remember the video of that walk off. His body dimensions are similiar to Darryl Strawberry, but that swing was more Graig Nettles. He won't be the type who strikes out 150 times a year at the major league level with that swing.

Also impressive from that video is the way he instantly recognizes changeup, and adjusts accordingly. You could see him, from the side view especially, double clutch his hips and keep his hands back. He was ready for that pitch and terminated it.