Gotta love it!!!

Connor is a huge part of Iowa's turn around this year. He's tough, plays tough and most of all takes pressure off Jordan. He doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but he's been very solid this season. He's had up's and downs too - but that's typically common with first year guys. Interested to watch him develop, by his Jr. and Sr. year he could be very a heady guard for Iowa.

(cue the "he'd better off playing baseball hot take in 3,2,1....)
If he blows up (figuratively) on the diamond this spring, what do you think the odds are he's on the basketball court next season?

A couple things stood out to me.
  • Moss' drive with under 20 was very impressive body control
  • Wieskamp was a step slow on defense several times (most likely due to his ailing back)
  • Great play design on the last shot
    • Moss coming off a screen to get open in the corner
    • Cook flashing to the rim off Bohannon's back screen
    • Bohannon using the back screen to get open for the pass due to his defender unsure what to do with Cook flashing to the rim
    • Connor showing great patience by reading the play and not forcing it to Moss or Cook when those options weren't open
  • Bohannon just has that clutch factor

Perhaps the number one option was to draw coverage from Bohannon by having Cook dash to the basket leaving Jordan wide open for the excellent pass from Connor who is adept at such trickery at crunchtime.....

Very nice analysis, JG

:cool:

Connor really needs to figure out his 3 ball. 14%? I'm pretty sure I can go to a gym right now in my work clothes and shoot 14% from 3.

However, his 3:1 assist/TO ratio is solid and should only get better.
Yeah. I think the worst part is how his poor shooting from deep may have taken away some of his confidence in shooting them. Passing up open shots is almost as bad as missing one sometimes. I was really glad to see him rise and fire on the one he made the other day. That is the exact kind of shot he has to shoot without hesitation. I think at times he has passed on taking. He's still young yet shot selection is a tough thing to get the feel for and when your not shooting great it can snow ball on a kid. He'll get better at them he's got a smooth stroke.

He could take the Gesell path and not really be a distance shooter, but have that decent elbow jumper. Connor showed that a few times earlier in the season.

he's young...got a long ways to go.

Connor appears adept when he takes it inside drawing a foul almost every time whether or not he makes the basket. If they are going to leave him open from the perimeter, covering Jordan, Joe and MisterMoss make them pay When he does drive to the basket he is going to create openings for our sharpshooters.....

We have a difficult team to stop on offense. When Luka gets back on track things will be even better.....

:cool:

If he blows up (figuratively) on the diamond this spring, what do you think the odds are he's on the basketball court next season?

I'm glad you added "figuratively" in there :)

If he indeed "blows up" and becomes let's say a first round draft pick type, things could get very interesting. If he's projected as a mid to late round pick, I'd say it's nearly 100% chance he keeps playing basketball.

If he indeed "blows up" and becomes let's say a first round draft pick type, things could get very interesting. If he's projected as a mid to late round pick, I'd say it's nearly 100% chance he keeps playing basketball.

yeah but what if he blows up literally?

I just think in the very near future Connor has to choose one or the other. The baseball team is in Florida right now and Connor is in Iowa/New Jersey. Next weekend the baseball team has a 4 game series in Hawaii and Connor will be playing 1 game against Indiana.

If Connor plays out this entire basketball season...which obviously he will...he'll likely miss over 20 baseball games. It just doesn't seem sustainable or practical

I just think in the very near future Connor has to choose one or the other. The baseball team is in Florida right now and Connor is in Iowa/New Jersey. Next weekend the baseball team has a 4 game series in Hawaii and Connor will be playing 1 game against Indiana.

If Connor plays out this entire basketball season...which obviously he will...he'll likely miss over 20 baseball games. It just doesn't seem sustainable or practical

Some college baseball/basketball combos in here. It doesn't happen often but it's doable.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...ainge-lofton-groat/1bf81ys1066uy107n416rj24iw

I wouldn't know honestly enough to put a percentage on anything. I would just be shocked if he gave up the opportunity to play for his dad and with his brother on this type of stage.

Even if Connor does get drafted and he signs with the team that doesn't mean he can't play basketball for Iowa. Minor league seasons don't start until April and they end in late August.

Even if Connor does get drafted and he signs with the team that doesn't mean he can't play basketball for Iowa. Minor league seasons don't start until April and they end in late August.

Plus he can get drafted and still play baseball right? Just because you're drafted doesn't mean you have to forgo college. At least I think. I just think it's going to take something like being a 1st or 2nd rounder and a clear path to the MLB to tear him away from what IMO is probably a life long dream. Connor and Pat know exactly what is said about them, they know exactly what is said about their dad and that has to be hella fuel for a competitive spirit. They want to be a part of it and that draw IMO is something that would be hard to walk away from.

ew I know this one. Spring.
Hmmm, I think it technically starts in winter.
Tuesday was the first day for Pitchers and Catchers.

source.gif

Fran is really good at drawing up inbound plays and having kids execute them. He's been drawing them up well for years now. Ask Jok or Uthoff. It might be the best thing Fran does if you were to single out something.
Connor is really good at some of the subtle things. He's really good at putting his passes not only right on the money so the catcher can smoothly shoot it right away but the timing in which he passes it. Not too early or too late when on the break. That pass he made to JW on the right wing in transition was just perfect. It looked like an easy play to make and it may have been for him. But you'd be surprised how often an open smooth shot isn't there due to the timing of the pass being made.
His passing skill is remarkable. He will do well in Iowa.