Gotta love it!!!

A couple things stood out to me.
  • Moss' drive with under 20 was very impressive body control
  • Wieskamp was a step slow on defense several times (most likely due to his ailing back)
  • Great play design on the last shot
    • Moss coming off a screen to get open in the corner
    • Cook flashing to the rim off Bohannon's back screen
    • Bohannon using the back screen to get open for the pass due to his defender unsure what to do with Cook flashing to the rim
    • Connor showing great patience by reading the play and not forcing it to Moss or Cook when those options weren't open
  • Bohannon just has that clutch factor

How many times was Jordan fouled on that 3 pointer at the 1:27 mark of the game? He may not be the PG Iowa fans want, but he's got the clutch jean that so many fans have bitched the last several years about Iowa NOT having.
The one where he was bashed in the face as he let go of the ball?

yeah, and he was fouled right before he did his step back too.

It looked like his head was grazed right before the step back but the one after the shot looked like a flop on Jordan's part. The first one maybe should have been called but IMO the second one was a good no call.

A couple things stood out to me.
  • Moss' drive with under 20 was very impressive body control
  • Wieskamp was a step slow on defense several times (most likely due to his ailing back)
  • Great play design on the last shot
    • Moss coming off a screen to get open in the corner
    • Cook flashing to the rim off Bohannon's back screen
    • Bohannon using the back screen to get open for the pass due to his defender unsure what to do with Cook flashing to the rim
    • Connor showing great patience by reading the play and not forcing it to Moss or Cook when those options weren't open
  • Bohannon just has that clutch factor
Fran is really good at drawing up inbound plays and having kids execute them. He's been drawing them up well for years now. Ask Jok or Uthoff. It might be the best thing Fran does if you were to single out something.
Connor is really good at some of the subtle things. He's really good at putting his passes not only right on the money so the catcher can smoothly shoot it right away but the timing in which he passes it. Not too early or too late when on the break. That pass he made to JW on the right wing in transition was just perfect. It looked like an easy play to make and it may have been for him. But you'd be surprised how often an open smooth shot isn't there due to the timing of the pass being made.

Fran is really good at drawing up inbound plays and having kids execute them. He's been drawing them up well for years now. Ask Jok or Uthoff. It might be the best thing Fran does if you were to single out something.
Connor is really good at some of the subtle things. He's really good at putting his passes not only right on the money so the catcher can smoothly shoot it right away but the timing in which he passes it. Not too early or too late when on the break. That pass he made to JW on the right wing in transition was just perfect. It looked like an easy play to make and it may have been for him. But you'd be surprised how often an open smooth shot isn't there due to the timing of the pass being made.

Connor is a huge part of Iowa's turn around this year. He's tough, plays tough and most of all takes pressure off Jordan. He doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but he's been very solid this season. He's had up's and downs too - but that's typically common with first year guys. Interested to watch him develop, by his Jr. and Sr. year he could be very a heady guard for Iowa.

(cue the "he'd better off playing baseball hot take in 3,2,1....)

Yep, I've noticed everything you stated.

I'd also add Connor is smart with his dribble before making passes. I'll use the same pass you mentioned as an example. Connor began to move away from JW anticipating the defender would adjust towards the ball to help create extra space for JW to shoot it.

Connor is a huge part of Iowa's turn around this year. He's tough, plays tough and most of all takes pressure off Jordan. He doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but he's been very solid this season. He's had up's and downs too - but that's typically common with first year guys. Interested to watch him develop, by his Jr. and Sr. year he could be very a heady guard for Iowa.

(cue the "he'd better off playing baseball hot take in 3,2,1....)

Haha people bringing up baseball is the only thing I could think about when you started to talk about Connor and his development down the road.

You are exactly right. Connor plays decent defense, has good handles, uses his size to his advantage, and is extremely unselfish (to a fault at times). If he starts taking and hitting the open 3 when it's there on a consistent basis, he's going to drive opposing teams nuts.

Yep, I've noticed everything you stated.

I'd also add Connor is smart with his dribble before making passes. I'll use the same pass you mentioned as an example. Connor began to move away from JW anticipating the defender would adjust towards the ball to help create extra space for JW to shoot it.
Yeah and there's also been times where I feel he can over dribble in the half court too. Part of that is his lack of quickness and it being his first real go around out there. He's got a bright future in hoops too if he sticks with it. Baseball is legitly something he could go do full time sooner than later. It'll be interesting to see as time goes on what he does.

Haha people bringing up baseball is the only thing I could think about when you started to talk about Connor and his development down the road.

You are exactly right. Connor plays decent defense, has good handles, uses his size to his advantage, and is extremely unselfish (to a fault at times). If he starts taking and hitting the open 3 when it's there on a consistent basis, he's going to drive opposing teams nuts.

People have a weird obsession with it, like they are wanting to will this kid to not play Iowa hoops. Who wouldn't want a guard who plays like Connor? There were a ton of posters who said they doubted Connor would ever play a minute of Iowa basketball. I get that he has more pro potential in baseball, and I also think and understand he may end up pursuing and going that direction eventually. But I've maintained the stance of "give me a break" with those guys...Connor has wanted to be an Iowa basketball player for his Dad since the day Fran was hired. He's been around the team and program since day 1. You're nuts if you think he's not going to try and make both work for as long as he possible can.

People have a weird obsession with it, like they are wanting to will this kid to not play Iowa hoops. Who wouldn't want a guard who plays like Connor? There were a ton of posters who said they doubted Connor would ever play a minute of Iowa basketball. I get that he has more pro potential in baseball, and I also think and understand he may end up pursuing and going that direction eventually. But I've maintained the stance of "give me a break" with those guys...Connor has wanted to be an Iowa basketball player for his Dad since the day Fran was hired. He's been around the team and program since day 1. You're nuts if you think he's not going to try and make both work for as long as he possible can.

Agreed. IMO he plays out his whole basketball career at Iowa then pursues baseball. He's wanted to play for his dad and play with Patrick again for as long as I can remember. Potentially playing in the minors and making peanuts can wait a few years.

Agreed. IMO he plays out his whole basketball career at Iowa then pursues baseball. He's wanted to play for his dad and play with Patrick again for as long as I can remember. Potentially playing in the minors and making peanuts can wait a few years.

Agree, I'll be shocked if he doesn't play all 4 years, that draw has to be pretty big. It's not like his family is hurting for money and baseball is his 1 shot to get out of the slums. He would trade flying in a personal jet for taking a bus to miss out on potentially Fran's best teams at Iowa- I will be very surprised and I mean very surprised if he doesn't play out his eligibility.

Connor really needs to figure out his 3 ball. 14%? I'm pretty sure I can go to a gym right now in my work clothes and shoot 14% from 3.

However, his 3:1 assist/TO ratio is solid and should only get better.

Last edited:
Ya know what tho - it's a lot easier to see our point of view of him playing now that Iowa is winning again. The reason Connor wasn't good enough before was because of last season, period. When things go bad, it creates an uncontrollable echo chamber from the "experts".

Connor really needs to figure out his 3 ball. 14%? I'm pretty sure I can go to a gym right now in my work clothes and shoot 14% from 3.

He's only taken 14 total 3s this year making 2 which seems odd. He shot it pretty well in HS. Below is his senior year shooting stats.

upload_2019-2-15_11-18-23.png

When you're a PG playing 19 minutes a game and you've only taken 14 3pters all year, you have to imagine the sample size is too small to consider that % an indictment of his play. By the same line of thinking, he shot 50% from 3 last year am i right?

he doesn't have to shoot on this team and IMO, he's not looking to and that's a fault that I think will sort itself out when his role changes.

When you're a PG playing 19 minutes a game and you've only taken 14 3pters all year, you have to imagine the sample size is too small to consider that % an indictment of his play. By the same line of thinking, he shot 50% from 3 last year am i right?

he doesn't have to shoot on this team and IMO, he's not looking to and that's a fault that I think will sort itself out when his role changes.

He could take the Gesell path and not really be a distance shooter, but have that decent elbow jumper. Connor showed that a few times earlier in the season.

he's young...got a long ways to go.