Gophers' game vs. Iowa about goalposts, the pig and getting sand kicked in your face

HawkeyeHypnosis

Re: Gophers' game vs. Iowa about goalposts, the pig and getting sand kicked in your f

Tom Powers: Gophers' game vs. Iowa about goalposts, the pig and getting sand kicked in your face - TwinCities.com

From article:

Ten years later, the incident still serves as incentive to beat Iowa. The coaches probably have shown that video every year since 2002. Jerry Kill no doubt will show it again this week, too. But it's only been recently that the Gophers have been able to exact any measure of revenge. They've beaten the Hawkeyes two straight after losing eight of the previous nine.

"That school kicked our schools *** when I was 12 and didn't give a **** about Minnesota. Now I really want to win this game."

Re: Gophers' game vs. Iowa about goalposts, the pig and getting sand kicked in your f

God that was fun. Carrying that thing was a workout though. I think everyone around me was fist pumping and cheering, just standing under that post. I was carrying the load!

I was there, it was fun just watching from up high. Seemed like they circled the field 3 or 4 times before trucking up the stairs. Great stuff. Hope our guys are amped to play this game and win this piggy back.

Well...this seems appropriate....

Memories,
Like the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were
Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we? could we?
Memories, may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget
So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

That's pretty sad that they are still dwelling on that. I know tearing down someone's goal posts is not cool, but it happens all over the country after a big win. You don't think Gopher fans would do that if they had just gone 8-0 in the conference and won the title on someone else's field? They might burn the place down. The last time they won a Big 10 title, a lot of their fans weren't even born, and the last time they went undefeated in the conference was before WWII. If they were going to show any film it should be the drubbing we gave them in 2008. While they are at it, they may want to look at the 2002 film of the Purdue game. They were 4-0 when they went to West Lafayette to play 2-2 Purdue and left with a loss.

I think I'd rather watch a game a week from the rest of that season than the rest of the games from this season.

Regardless of the other games on the schedule winning the Minny game means the most to me. Living near the Twin Cities for a time exposed me to a very insular, very provincial attitude towards anything south of their border that goes way beyond one football game a year. I met many native Minnesotans with no ties to Iowa at all who were very open and welcoming. But at the worst there was core of downright mean spiritedness if one wasn't a native of Mn, Wi, the Dakotas, Ne. So to me the game for Floyd of Rosedale is more of a culture clash than anything else.

I wish DwayneTwill would comment in this thread.

There is a certain faction of fandom that thinks what really decides games is which team has more bulletin board material. That stuff is way over-rated.
When it's 4th and 1 in the final :30 of a close game, they aren't thinking, "Hey. These are the bastards that tore down the goal posts in the place we used to play 10 years ago. I think I'll give some extra effort on this play and show these degenerates just how much we don't appreciate that kind of thing.":cool:

If there wasn't feedback being screamed through the PA system we might have not tried to take one of the goalposts. The only thing that saved them was the revolving doors. That was a great night!

That was a great night. Nothing funnier than standing on the 50 yard line watching the goalposts being carried up the stairs.

I wonder if our field crews are secretly reinforcing our goal posts

Our goalposts come down too fast. We cant even get on the field fast enough to get to em.

As long as Goofer fans can't get there either that's ok :) Unfortunately for the Goofer fans Iowa fans would not sit idly and disinterestedly watch our goal posts walk out of the stadium.

Our goalposts come down too fast. We cant even get on the field fast enough to get to em.

that's because way back when in my day (80s) they weren't "breakaway" posts, and when they did come down, people got bad hurt

you could look it up

I was at that game too. Super magical time for Hawkeye football. It was a very good O and D, and we had our way with those Gophers (who would ever name their team after a small rodent - don't get it) on that day. Roses came out, the Iowa fans rocked the house. More Iowa fans there than Gopher fans. I saw some of the first people storming the field get tackled very hard on the artificial turf by security, then handcuffed. Then there were too many to handle. I had just had knee surgery and was on crutches or I would've partaken in the destruction I'm sure. When I made my way up to exit I watched the Iowa nuts trying to push the goalpost through the turnstile. Was good times man. Glad I made it to that game.

I was there and it was so awesome.

I remember security getting ready to try and stop us from storming the field....I just remember many people saying "GO, the can't stop us ALL" So freakin sweet.

Latest posts