Gophers' game vs. Iowa about goalposts, the pig and getting sand kicked in your face

Re: Gophers' game vs. Iowa about goalposts, the pig and getting sand kicked in your f

There is a certain faction of fandom that thinks what really decides games is which team has more bulletin board material. That stuff is way over-rated.
When it's 4th and 1 in the final :30 of a close game, they aren't thinking, "Hey. These are the bastards that tore down the goal posts in the place we used to play 10 years ago. I think I'll give some extra effort on this play and show these degenerates just how much we don't appreciate that kind of thing.":cool:

This.

Fans love the mythology around sports and lord knows they are fed it through cliche answers by players and coaches just trying to dodge questions and get through pre and post game interviews.

Fact is, in the moment of competition, NONE of that stuff matters.

And in this case the senior class in this years game would have been about 12 years old at the time.

Re: Gophers' game vs. Iowa about goalposts, the pig and getting sand kicked in your f

that's because way back when in my day (80s) they weren't "breakaway" posts, and when they did come down, people got bad hurt

you could look it up

Don't need to. I remember they talked about it on espn. They were saying other schools had begun using the same breakaway post as we were, and we had been using them for a few years by then. Those posts don't fall slowly.

Latest posts