Gopher fans chanting “We hate Iowa”

So it sounded like the Gopher fans were chanting “We hate Iowa”. Does anyone know if this is the only team they do this towards or do they chant this at other teams?
If it is just the Hawkeyes... I guess that is cool!
they do this all the time... I have a friend that dates someone who goes to Minnesota and they went to the Outback Bowl and even Gophers fans chanted it there

Atleast they were doing it at a sports event against Iowa. They chant it at sporting events that don't have anything to do with iowa.
I hear it's "Iowa sucks" no matter who they play. Awesome to be in someones head like that!

The one nice thing about the officiating in yesterday's game is that it was so atrocious on both sides that it ended up evening out. There were some no-calls on our guys in the post (particular Kriener and Pemsl), that if I were rooting for the other side, i'd have been pissed. The amount of contact they would let go was damn near criminal....but then it was like they realized how out of hand it was getting and would start calling touch fouls. That midget ref that dresses in shirts 5 sizes too small (I think his name is Scirotto) is so bad....
Agree the officials were flat out incompetent. If that was my job and I performed like that I would be claiming unemployment. It's the inconsistent calls the annoy myself and drives players like Garza crazy. How is it Ok to bump every cutter with a shove or body blow but Garza can't make a basketball move with both hands on the ball and not get called for a foul. It's not his fault his arms and elbows are close to the defenders face when he turns to the basket to shoot. He gets triple teamed and shoved and pushed on EVERY play. On more than half of his shots he is fouled but the refs just let it go cause he makes the shot. He is aggressive but by far and away is fouled more than he fouls. If you watched the game and saw Pemsel getting raped inside when he tried to post think how much more abuse Garza takes. To his credit he takes it and doesn't complain, but then you hit him with the foul where the guy jumped out of bonds and shot it with no hope of making it , then the last call where he barely touches the guy to just keep track of him, come on! I've seen it way too much this year. The big guy is still amazing! Just call the damm fouls refs!

Next thing ya know they'll be tossing beer cans at our marching band.

Then they'll be known as the ISU of the North.

I don't get it.

Who cares if they hate Iowa, especially when the Hawkeyes own them right now?

I don't get it...exactly. I don't get why they're so obsessed and continue this. Even the dbags at ISU don't have something this lame.

It's bizarre.

This comes up every year during the Battle for Floyd and basketball season. But this goes way deeper than sports competition. Having lived near the cities for awhile I witnessed this mentality first-hand. Although Minn and Wisky have a rivalry at the college and pro levels the hatred for Iowa goes far beyond sports. I'm amazed a Sociologist/Anthropologist hasn't dissected this feud in a book. Border wars between neighboring states is one thing. This is a whole 'nother animal.

they do this all the time... I have a friend that dates someone who goes to Minnesota and they went to the Outback Bowl and even Gophers fans chanted it there

They did it at the 2015 Citrus Bowl (after 2014 season). I was amazed. Getting ready to play a ranked Mizzou team, have stud TE Maxx Williams being talked about...and they obsess about Iowa.

What's weird is Iowa, for the most part, doesn't reciprocate that hate. Personally I hate Nebraska way more than Minnesota, especially in football. I probably hate Illinois more in basketball. Hate may even be too strong of a word, I'm probably more annoyed by them.

But I understand it, Iowa fans have abused their stadiums from ripping down their goal posts to using their bathroom stalls as a brothel. It has to be really irritating for them to be outnumbered in their home stadiums for football.

At one of the games an announcer asked if the Minny student section knew who they were playing because it wasn't Iowa. Really reflects badly on them when they do this at a non Iowa game.

This comes up every year during the Battle for Floyd and basketball season. But this goes way deeper than sports competition. Having lived near the cities for awhile I witnessed this mentality first-hand. Although Minn and Wisky have a rivalry at the college and pro levels the hatred for Iowa goes far beyond sports. I'm amazed a Sociologist/Anthropologist hasn't dissected this feud in a book. Border wars between neighboring states is one thing. This is a whole 'nother animal.

Indeed. Moved up here 20 years ago (thank you ex-wife). It's a weird place sociologically. Lots of passive aggressive self-doubt turned outward. The legacy of tight-ass Scandinavian culture persists. If you're not "one of us"...you'll never be. It's bizarre.

I've lived up there for 17 years & yeah the Iowa hate is of a weird different level. It borders on absurd the reaction you get when you tell people you're from Iowa. Native Minnesotans react one way, everyone else reacts another. And its a very clique type of atmosphere. Quite honestly reminds me of going back to high school.

What's weird is Iowa, for the most part, doesn't reciprocate that hate. Personally I hate Nebraska way more than Minnesota, especially in football. I probably hate Illinois more in basketball. Hate may even be too strong of a word, I'm probably more annoyed by them.

But I understand it, Iowa fans have abused their stadiums from ripping down their goal posts to using their bathroom stalls as a brothel. It has to be really irritating for them to be outnumbered in their home stadiums for football.
Same and it's not even close.. Heck I was borderline happy for the season MN had in football this yr. (especially since we beat them) I'm amused that MN fans aren't self aware enough to know that they are jealous of Iowa more so then hate. But it is what it is. They'd probably counter that Wisky is their bigger rival.

I've lived up there for 17 years & yeah the Iowa hate is of a weird different level. It borders on absurd the reaction you get when you tell people you're from Iowa. Native Minnesotans react one way, everyone else reacts another. And its a very clique type of atmosphere. Quite honestly reminds me of going back to high school.

Exactly. So the "we hate IOWA" chant fits right in with that vibe.

It's a "city" of contradictions. (I put city in " " as many say that it's actually just a really really big "town"). There are pieces of the Twin Cities which are world class and metropolitan. Some major corporations, lots of medical device R&D, a good music scene, a decent food scene finally (it was pretty week pre-2000), a Big Ten University and a few local "celebrities" who think they're a much bigger deal than they are.

But the reality is...that reflects a small subset of people. Most Minnesotans are small town people...not that different from Iowans...they just have more restaurants, a pro team to follow and higher taxes. Drive 20 minutes outside the metro, you might as well be in North Dakota.

Last edited:
So it sounded like the Gopher fans were chanting “We hate Iowa”. Does anyone know if this is the only team they do this towards or do they chant this at other teams?
If it is just the Hawkeyes... I guess that is cool!

They do it about every game they play, even if not playing Iowa at the time. I think is most common at football games though. I was watching Minny vs Wisky football game for a short time last fall and the "We hate Iowa" chant broke out. They do it every game in football.

I don't get it.

Who cares if they hate Iowa, especially when the Hawkeyes own them right now?

Rob - I don't get the sense that people here care that Minnesota hates us. It's more astonishment than anything, like, "Why they hell would you chant 'We hate Iowa' when you're playing a bowl game." It's like the bearded lady to some extent....you just can't look away.....

Exactly. So the "we hate IOWA" chant fits right in with that vibe.

It's a "city" of contradictions. (I put city in " " as many say that it's actually just a really really big "town"). There are pieces of the Twin Cities which are world class and metropolitan. Some major corporations, lots of medical R&D a good music scene, a decent food scene finally (it was pretty week pre-2000), a Big Ten University and a few local "celebrities" who think they're a much bigger deal than they are.

But the reality is...that reflects a small subset of people. Most Minnesotans are small town people...not that different from Iowans...they just have more restaurants, a pro team to follow and higher taxes. Drive 20 minutes outside the metro, you might as well be in North Dakota.

I live in small town MN. If we could kick the damn Twin Cities out of the MN Union, we'd do it.
Screw them and their stuck up ways. The rest of the overtaxed state is just common folk like you and me.

Rob - I don't get the sense that people here care that Minnesota hates us. It's more astonishment than anything, like, "Why they hell would you chant 'We hate Iowa' when you're playing a bowl game." It's like the bearded lady to some extent....you just can't look away.....

The stupidity of this is beyond explanation. SO...your team has their best season in years, you're at a major bowl game with an opportunity to showcase your brand. What do you do?

Give your most hated rival free air time.

Genius.

Latest posts