Goodson and IKM missing some big cutback lanes per video

uihawk82

I saw at least 6 times, live and on replays, or more against Penn ST where they would blitz that outside Lnbkr or safety from the wide side of the field and our TEnd would pick them up and push them out and away from the play while the rest of the OLine was totally pushing every defender the other way. That left a big cutback lane to the wide side but our running backs never really planted the foot or broke down with a couple choppy steps and took that big cutback. You saw sometimes when the hawks didnt block that wide blitzer and they got in to make and be in on many tackle for losses.

I know they can do it as Goodson has great feet and IKM is really a real good one cut runner. Any way are the coaches not wanting them to do the Freddie Russell-esque cutbacks? Are the runners not looking for it or seeing it? That cutback is basically a counter play off the outside zone blocking scheme and helps to hold back defensive pursuit.

If missing cut back lanes is a concern, the coaches will see the problem on film, show it to the RB’s, and make every effort to adjust. Not worried, And sometimes runners will miss a cut.

If missing cut back lanes is a concern, the coaches will see the problem on film, show it to the RB’s, and make every effort to adjust. Not worried, And sometimes runners will miss a cut.
Has anyone ever told you you sound like a North Korean citizen eating bucketfuls of brainwashed propaganda about “Dear Leader Kim Jong Un?”

Seriously.

Goodson is really fast and shifty, but I'm not sure he has the greatest vision. I've noticed him missing open lanes too. Most good running backs aren't elite at everything. He's still awesome tho.

Goodson is really fast and shifty, but I'm not sure he has the greatest vision. I've noticed him missing open lanes too. Most good running backs aren't elite at everything. He's still awesome tho.
I kind of agree with this. He gets too dancy at the trench level instead of making one cut and going up field, even though a huge hole might not be there. This team is pretty solid all around, but if I'm going to nitpick which happens, I still see Iowa's O line run blocking has to get more consistent. Somebody on that line take charge and get your teammates jacked up before each play. Beat the man in front of you every play. Everybody does that on the line, the play will succeed. They need to have that "I'm going to win my assignment and beat the man in front of me", play by play.

But, going back to your point, I think Goodson needs to make one cut and commit.

Goodson also needs to do a better job of picking up the blitzer, too!

Cutbacks are there… and would help solve a few problems with defenses that are over-committing to stop the stretch zone play.

Goodson also needs to do a better job of picking up the blitzer, too!

Cutbacks are there… and would help solve a few problems with defenses that are over-committing to stop the stretch zone play.
Goodson's not a blocker. Never will be. You just have to scheme around that.

Just like Wadley was never gonna throw a block in his entire life, Goodson is too good a runner to forgo him in favor of a guy like IKM who can block.

It's not a talent thing...they have that...the vision has been quite suspect, as cut-backs are how you break out the back door for chunk plays. If we can get this aspect remedied, I'm in the camp that this running game will take off as the season progresses.

Latest posts