Good win

Our defense giving up those big plays is what has me worried. Especially seeing how they kept getting beat on the same play. There was nothing complicated about the play over the middle they just kept running it out of different formations and our LBs couldn't keep up and cover it. There was quite a few mental mistakes today. Hopefully they will clear it up in practice this wk. Im like everyone else im just glad we got the win today and started out with a W this yr. GO HAWKS!

Not sure if you guys were at the game or just watched it on tv, but UNI consistently had 9 guys in the box and crashed the corners hard in run-1st situations. I thought we would go with the 3 TE look more to even things out. Also, we rarely ran with a fb, and in my opinion, you have to do that if you are not taking shots and hitting them across the middle.

Good win and Iowa didn't have to show a ton of the playbook. Once Welsh gets a few things figured out (saw 2 blown assignments myself - 1 where Bullock was stopped for a loss as he got the ball) the run game will be better.

Last edited:
Just a couple positive notes.

We won both the time of possession and turnover battle.

Also, I don't recall Jake taking a sack or too many plays for negative yards.

Of course we were good with penalties too.

So not flashy but solid.

It was a sloppy win. Our offense won this game thank god. That is because we had no defense.

Just a couple positive notes.

We won both the time of possession and turnover battle.

Also, I don't recall Jake taking a sack or too many plays for negative yards.

Of course we were good with penalties too.

So not flashy but solid.

Iowa Football. and that's all we saw today. 1-0.

Just a couple positive notes.We won both the time of possession and turnover battle. Also, I don't recall Jake taking a sack or too many plays for negative yards.Of course we were good with penalties too. So not flashy but solid.
Time of possession is basically an irrelevant statistic in the modern era of college football. The key stat today was 16 UNI penalties for an unfathomable 128 yards. A few of those flags go the other way (or rather stay in the pocket) and this is a FAR different game.

I was right with you until that last statement.

Duzey had 7 for 34
HKC was 1 for 13
Hamilton was 1 for 10

That's 9 receptions by our TEs in one game. I wish they had double the average YDS but that will come w/ experience. What struck me was that 13 different guys caught the ball today and there were very few drops. Most of the incompletes were on Rudock over thorwing and those were pretty safe overthrows. Rudock was hitting 75% of his passes and no ints.

Like you said, I expected more yards on ground, especially in the 4th Qtr. The TEs accounted for nearly 1/3 of the receptions. That is more like what I was expecting. Wish one or more of those were for TDs but that will come later as the team progresses.

Agree with all you said.
I was mainly talking about yards that the TEs were getting, not number of catches.

UNI is one of the few FCS teams a team can barely beat and be content. They're a good team and have a good program. Things could have been better but it's the first game, I don't expect perfection. I suspect we'll probably play a whole bunch of close games that we may or may not win because that's what we do.

Time of possession is basically an irrelevant statistic in the modern era of college football. The key stat today was 16 UNI penalties for an unfathomable 128 yards. A few of those flags go the other way (or rather stay in the pocket) and this is a FAR different game.

I disagree on time of possession but agree with you on the penalties.

Since the other team has an effect on your team committing penalties taking them away would be stupid. In fact, even if they didn't, taking them away would be stupid. Let's find some other things to take away. "HEY, IF WE TAKE AWAY IOWA'S POINTS THAN THIS GAME WOULD HAVE BE FAAAAAAAAR DIFFERENT!!!!"

Win? Yes.
Good win? I'm saying, no.

How can we NOT run the ball with the advantage we are supposed to have on the Offensive Line?!
Very impressed with this Defensive Line!!
Rudock looks more confident.
Like the potential we have with the WRs.
TEs felt non-existent.

Its cool to see somebody else from TN on here. I was beginning to think I was the only Iowa fan from TN. LOL

Beating an FCS team isn't a "good" win, it should be an expected win. UNI is as good as Iowa if you go by what we saw today. Not sure what that means for the Hawkeyes fortunes over the course of a Big Ten season. Not surprising though, Kirk's teams have a real penchant for keeping just about anybody in the game with them. No reason to panic, business as usual for Ferentz football. Remember that in 2009 they had to block TWO UNI field goal attempts in the final seconds to hang on for a one point win and that season turned out pretty well.

Since the other team has an effect on your team committing penalties taking them away would be stupid. In fact, even if they didn't, taking them away would be stupid. Let's find some other things to take away. "HEY, IF WE TAKE AWAY IOWA'S POINTS THAN THIS GAME WOULD HAVE BE FAAAAAAAAR DIFFERENT!!!!"
Pretty dumb post. You're assuming that every flag was, in fact, a correct call, which several clearly were not. The most glaring example being when KF was screaming for a TO and they instead decided to call UNI for delay of game.

Last edited:
Don't really thing I can say we dominated anything.

It was a decent win... however our inability to run the ball was a bit frightening.

We did dominate in terms of rushing defense. Teams are going to have a very hard time running inside against Davis and LTP.

Pretty dumb post. You're assuming that every flag was, in fact, a correct call, which several clearly were not. The most glaring example being when KF was screaming for a TO and they instead decided to call UNI for delay of game.

That wasn't a bad call. Fortunate timing for Iowa, sure. But the if the officials don't hear/see KF calling for a TO, why would they grant a TO instead of calling delay of game in that situation?

Its cool to see somebody else from TN on here. I was beginning to think I was the only Iowa fan from TN. LOL

We have a great I-Club group in the Nashville area, as we meet at Bailey's in downtown Nashville for every football game.

Smelling an ALT here. TylerSash, you back again?

now thats a dumb post

Latest posts