Good story on former Hawkeye QB David Raih

This is a nice story, but it would be a better story if he ever ends up as a head coach in NFL or FBS some day.

Right now, it's the story of a 35 year old who left a $100k a year job at 25 to be paid basically nothing and move around a lot for 10 years to end up the assistant offensive line coach at Green Bay.

I guess that's a happy ending because it did not sound like he was happy in his old job, but he gave up a lot of money and stability for an uncertain future. It's not a choice everybody would make. I wonder if he is married or has kids, because what wife would go along with plan?

this story comes from the files of 'live life without regrets'.......i applaud him for doing such.

while $100k is better than $0k in LA, believe me that $100k in LA does not lead to living the high life.......

Still, making $100k at 25 years old is pretty good no matter what city you live in.

He must have really hated that job to walk away.

That's pretty awesome, I think. I wish I would have had the balls to do that when I was 25.
... chase your dreams when you're young. The consequences are generally forgivable at that age.

What is there to not like about this fella? He belongs on the Hawk staff again at some point in the future. Would love to see him on the recruiting trails with his proven success both as a GA at Iowa as well as his track record selling in the business world.

http://www.thecompassnews.org/2015/09/guided-by-faith/

this guy is an incredible young man. thank you very much for posting the above article - very inspirational!!!!

I guarantee he does not have one regret. I had two restaurants and was making good money and I went back to school to get a degree designing refrigeration systems that paid a whole lot less. I miss the challenges and the people I worked with but the satisfaction I received from design was much better.

this story comes from the files of 'live life without regrets'.......i applaud him for doing such.

while $100k is better than $0k in LA, believe me that $100k in LA does not lead to living the high life.......

Yeah, I am guessing $100k in LA is equivalent to making $70k in Des Moines. You ain't starving, but you are not exactly living a baller lifestyle either.

Yeah, I am guessing $100k in LA is equivalent to making $70k in Des Moines. You ain't starving, but you are not exactly living a baller lifestyle either.

This is probably pretty close. A lot of it depends on what is important to you(which changes a lot from mid 20's to mid 30's+).

The biggest difference is that you can likely both own a home and retire if you make $70k in Des Moines for 30+ years....not sure you can say the same in LA...again likely depends on what you ultimately want.

This is probably pretty close. A lot of it depends on what is important to you(which changes a lot from mid 20's to mid 30's+).

The biggest difference is that you can likely both own a home and retire if you make $70k in Des Moines for 30+ years....not sure you can say the same in LA...again likely depends on what you ultimately want.

Agreed. What I have been told $200k gets you a hole in the wall in California. Central Iowa that gets you a pretty nice 3 bedroom house. You are right it all depends on where you are and what you want out of life.

Still, making $100k at 25 years old is pretty good no matter what city you live in.

He must have really hated that job to walk away.

It sounds like he was really into his job helping people by being with the surgeon and getting correct implants.

He was making 100,000K more than ten years ago which is a little better but was Raih quoted saying that is how much he made? I wonder because a guy I knew selling orthopedic implants in Des Moines in the 1980s made more than that much 25 years ago (although he had been at it since the late 70's). Maybe Raih sold for a not top of line supplier, who knows. But it sounds like he gave his heart and everything to that job as well.

The guy was missing something. One of the former Duke basketball players of the late 1970s or mid 80s left a very lucrative investment banking job to go back into basketball. It happens and people miss the adrenaline, comraderie, friendships, they want to be teachers and coaches.

And it sounds like Raih might have a hard time fitting a gal friend or wife into his schedule.

But kudos to him as I have been interested in so many things in my life I have never been able to focus on one thing which would have been a good thing.

It sounds like he was really into his job helping people by being with the surgeon and getting correct implants.

He was making 100,000K more than ten years ago which is a little better but was Raih quoted saying that is how much he made? I wonder because a guy I knew selling orthopedic implants in Des Moines in the 1980s made more than that much 25 years ago (although he had been at it since the late 70's). Maybe Raih sold for a not top of line supplier, who knows. But it sounds like he gave his heart and everything to that job as well.

The guy was missing something. One of the former Duke basketball players of the late 1970s or mid 80s left a very lucrative investment banking job to go back into basketball. It happens and people miss the adrenaline, comraderie, friendships, they want to be teachers and coaches.

And it sounds like Raih might have a hard time fitting a gal friend or wife into his schedule.

But kudos to him as I have been interested in so many things in my life I have never been able to focus on one thing which would have been a good thing.

the $100,000k figure came from somewhere - it is in the title of the original story, and in that story Neuheisal quotes '6-figures'. The figure had to come from Raih. It also says that (maybe in the 2nd article) that Zimmer offered a significant raise for him to stay - given he was relatively new I'd bet your friend made more just due to his longer tenure with his company.

if you want to buy a house in LA - the 100k being equal to $70k in iowa doesn't hold any water.

check this place out - it is in 'altadena' - which is just north of pasadena - when we went to the rose bowl, my friend stayed here - airbnb - zillow estimates this place being $1MM in value. and while Altadena was nice, it wasn't that special and this house wasn't 'great' either - 2300 sq. foot.......school systems poorly rated....etc....but man, this place has an award winning orange tree in it's front yard!! :)

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2081-Allen-Ave-Altadena-CA-91001/20918823_zpid/

you can do far more damage buying a house with a 70k salary in DM than you can with 100k in LA........

David's father is an orthopedic surgeon here in the Twin Cities. I've had the opportunity to meet both him and David. Good stock.

Nice story and I wish the guy well.

Does anybody else have this weird feeling like they've missed 4 yrs of their life, possibly in a coma. I really don't recall David Raih. Am I the only one??

What the hell am I missing?

Does anybody else have this weird feeling like they've missed 4 yrs of their life, possibly in a coma. I really don't recall David Raih. Am I the only one??

backup QB back in KF's early days. grad assistant after his stint at UCLA - you don't remember the 'hire him as a QB coach'.......threads? :)

impressive guy, no doubt - here is his iowa bio:

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/raih_david01.html

Being an orthopedic sales rep for zimmer is not any easy job, even making $100k. Lots of running around, long crappy hours and but kissing. I work in the OR doing anesthesia and thus meet and chat with ortho reps daily. Most of them would jump at the opportunity to leave and work in a job they were passionate about.

I vaguely remember his playing days. Only reason why I remember is because of his last name is somewhat unique. I believe he wore #5. As ankle pointed out I definitely remember those "make him the QB coach" threads when he was a grad assistant. Everytime the offense sputtered and/or the QB struggled it was take that job out of KOK's hands.

I knew him when he was a surgical rep in Iowa and a GA at Iowa. He's an incredibly, incredibly nice guy. I hate the Packers but I'll root for him. He's a guy who deserves all the good things that come his way.

Latest posts