Good News for Hawkeye Hoops

Freddy, I guess we can agree to disagree. I think a lot of people tend to think Iowa's 2000 football season was a turning point, but they still lost more than they won.

Freddy, I guess we can agree to disagree. I think a lot of people tend to think Iowa's 2000 football season was a turning point, but they still lost more than they won.

That's how I think. One could easily point to the 2OT win at Penn State that year as the beginning of it.

That team wasn't that good, but got better as the year went on, and won a couple of games at the end that they maybe wouldn't have otherwise.

If this basketball team can show the same kind of learning curve, they could surprise a team or two by the end of the season.

I think people overreact when Iowa wins.
I think people overreact when Iowa loses.

Again, it goes back to the black/white argument. Either Iowa is WOOHOO! #1 BEST BB TEAM EVER! or they are the worst piece of crap ever to touch the floor.

Such are message boards.

Based on my Original Post, after the loss to Purdue, I'm not sure where you were able to draw that conclusion?? :confused:

I didn't say there is no such thing as a turning point. I'm saying that it's just talk until there are some concrete results. The only reason we can identify 2000 as a turning point for the football team is because of 2002.

As I said, I hope the OP is right. I guess I'm just not as much of a visionary yet as those of you who can see a double digit home loss as a great sign.

Is TurnipTruck really Randy, of 0 handicap fame?
If you were sitting beside him, why didn't you ask? Also saw Mike and Randy talk to Ryan at half but they weren't sitting with him during the game. So you brought him down a hotdog then?

We Lost ! We Lost ! But we didnt get squashed ( to the #4 ranked team who we expected to kill us by 30 or 40 ) !!! So, a BiGTeN championship and NCAA invite are on the way !!!

I applaud the effort, am more convinced A) that Tucker being gone is a net gain B) redshirting Archie when his size could help now is a waste, plus IOWA needs the rides balanced C) IOWA needs a PG immediately ( whether its to push/improve Payne or to be the jet quick game controller that is really needed to turn this on....but the added depth is very needed ) and to use Tucker's ride is the smartest move.

One question I have, and that is from Lickliters comments, he seems to relish being the underdog, does that colour his view of who and how to play the game, and it why he doesnt use bigs or play a back to the basket game? And to add to that, would he ever like being the favourite?

This is Lick ball. Bore the other team to sleep so that they don't give you their best effort. I expect we will see a lot of it this year. That is if anyone cares to go watch.

Now the thing with this type of ball is that if you get a shooter who gets hot at the right point, you might get lucky and steal a game.

I heard Painter's post-game comments and he said two things:

1.) He had no business playing against the Jets on Sunday.

2.) They decided to take this opportunity against a team "like this" on the road to see how their younger guys react on the road in Big Ten play.

If you look back you'll notice that this was more or less like Iowa football's first few games where they were using the softer competition to get a feel for how certain things would work during game action.

Lickliter gave the Iowa fans something to cheer about...but this was no more of a sign that Iowa is back than playing Texas tough for a half and then getting clocked in the second half was.

This is Lick ball. Bore the other team to sleep so that they don't give you their best effort. I expect we will see a lot of it this year. That is if anyone cares to go watch.

Now the thing with this type of ball is that if you get a shooter who gets hot at the right point, you might get lucky and steal a game.

I don't think the last three games were boring at all...

Sure was fun having something to cheer about. I am the only basketball fan left in my family (sadly others have given up), and I got them in to the game. Numerous times I heard, "holy crap" or 'so and so is playing out of his mind.' It was pretty cool to be watching Iowa basketball with people again.

And I completely agree Spank, these last three have not been boring at all.

I don't think the last three games were boring at all...
Nope they weren't, but the fact remains that in the Purdue game, we went back to our tried and true defense of keeping the ball away from the other team's offense. This usually results in a fairly low-scoring game that is closer than predicted. As many have pointed out, such a style does give us a chance to win every now and then. One final note on the Purdue game, a lot of the excitement was provided by John fairly late in the game, and it was indeed fun.

DeanMarshall must be an alias for Jerry Freakin Lewis. Dude I don't know what weed you've been smoking but it's time to take a break. Look ,fact is when Purdue cranked up the D we committed about 20 TOs. Everyone just needs to figure these are practice games for next season. I'm guessing 3-4 conference wins at best...and none on the road. Unfortunately, Matt Gatens will likely NEVER see post-season tournament play.

DeanMarshall must be an alias for Jerry Freakin Lewis. Dude I don't know what weed you've been smoking but it's time to take a break. Look ,fact is when Purdue cranked up the D we committed about 20 TOs. Everyone just needs to figure these are practice games for next season. I'm guessing 3-4 conference wins at best...and none on the road. Unfortunately, Matt Gatens will likely NEVER see post-season tournament play.

Were you at the game, C-pac? No, I didn't think so. Purdue trailed Iowa at half time. Todd Lickleiter correctly pointed out at Hawk Talk on Wednesday that there were just a few key plays and shots in the 2nd half, or this team would have had a very good shot at knocking off a Top 5 team. Do YOU really believe that PU couldn't have fallen on Tuesday? Anyone was at the game would tell you that if Matt Gatens had played his normal game, it would have possibly been an Iowa win.
You're delirious if you believe that. Wow :rolleyes:

That's how I think. One could easily point to the 2OT win at Penn State that year as the beginning of it.

That team wasn't that good, but got better as the year went on, and won a couple of games at the end that they maybe wouldn't have otherwise.

If this basketball team can show the same kind of learning curve, they could surprise a team or two by the end of the season.

Have to agree Shada. Steps toward building the type of program Coach Ferentz has built take time. And sometimes you will see a step forward and maybe a couple steps backward until the gears mesh together and it becomes two steps forward and only one back. Eventually the steps back will get further and further apart and the steps forward will become bigger steps. Let's hope the game against Purdue was one of those we will look back fondly at in a year or so and say YES, THAT WAS WHEN THE CORNER WAS TURNED!!!!!!!!

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts