Good Lord Jon.....

The real scary part of next year is our depth at QB. We have two guys who've taken next to NO snaps at the college level (assuming TW sticks around to backup Stanley)

At least CJB had gotten some real live snaps against first team defenses backing up Jake. If Stanley goes down, what confidence do we have in our backups Cook, Wiegers, and Boyle???

I don't know many QB's that can survive the pass protection we have showed the past few seasons.

Guessing Jon is simply impressed with what he's seen in BF (he sees a bit more than we do I'm guessing) and has optimism for Iowa football under him as OC. Thinking it's as simple as that, and what is wrong with that? Not a damned thing.

The real scary part of next year is our depth at QB. We have two guys who've taken next to NO snaps at the college level (assuming TW sticks around to backup Stanley)

At least CJB had gotten some real live snaps against first team defenses backing up Jake. If Stanley goes down, what confidence do we have in our backups Cook, Wiegers, and Boyle???

I don't know many QB's that can survive the pass protection we have showed the past few seasons.

I'm in no way, shape, or form equating Nathan Stanley to Drew Tate....but when Nathan Chandler graduated, Drew Tate had taken all of about 15 snaps the prior year in garbage time. You just never know how guys are going to perform when the lights are on.....

I do like what I've seen (granted not much) from Stanley. He passes the eye test measurably and throws a nice ball. Seems to carry himself with a lot of confidence. The big thing will be reading defenses, sensing the rush, etc. I will be curious to see what Weigers does. KF made it sound like it'll be an open competition and maybe it will. Peyton Mansell, one of the few Texas recruits who didn't decommit could come in and shake things up like Stanley did. One could argue Iowa doesn't develop qb's but they've definitely shown that they can prepare a new starter well. The shake up on the offensive side is at least making me cautiously optimistic;)

I don't see Cook or Boyle developing into a qb at Iowa.

I do like what I've seen (granted not much) from Stanley. He passes the eye test measurably and throws a nice ball. Seems to carry himself with a lot of confidence. The big thing will be reading defenses, sensing the rush, etc. I will be curious to see what Weigers does. KF made it sound like it'll be an open competition and maybe it will. Peyton Mansell, one of the few Texas recruits who didn't decommit could come in and shake things up like Stanley did. One could argue Iowa doesn't develop qb's but they've definitely shown that they can prepare a new starter well. The shake up on the offensive side is at least making me cautiously optimistic;)

I don't see Cook or Boyle developing into a qb at Iowa.

That does beg the question, why didn't he get more snaps?

Refresh my mind....it was for the rushing yards produced under the line right? Joe Moore Award

Still think that is a joke all considered.

It is for the toughest most physical offensive line in college football. Some of the pass blocking too was a result of missed blocks by TEs, RBs, and horrible WR play and bad decisions by Beathard.

We were pretty lucky CJ played as much as he did last year as much as he was hit and beat up... Kinda hard to think we'll be that lucky next year too... Safe to say the QB position is a big fat question mark overall that's for sure. I love the hype Stanley has he's a big athletic kid. I'd really like to see more play action designed roll outs utilizing the RBs/TEs and WRs in the routes in layers. Seems like they really got away from that this year...

That does beg the question, why didn't he get more snaps?

It's a fair question. Davis's system did require a lot of chemistry between the qb and receivers. As we've all learned with KF, the backup doesn't get any snaps with the 1's during the season. I'm sure KF thinks that chemistry is created in the Spring and Fall. As long as Beathard could stand up right, he was going to be the starter. I don't know what BF is going to do with the passing scheme, but I certainly hope it does away with the receivers making their own reads at the line and relying on the qb seeing the same thing they are.

It's a fair question. Davis's system did require a lot of chemistry between the qb and receivers. As we've all learned with KF, the backup doesn't get any snaps with the 1's during the season. I'm sure KF thinks that chemistry is created in the Spring and Fall. As long as Beathard could stand up right, he was going to be the starter. I don't know what BF is going to do with the passing scheme, but I certainly hope it does away with the receivers making their own reads at the line and relying on the qb seeing the same thing they are.

Except for allowing the Heisman runner up the next year, this isn't a GD only situation.

Listening right now to your 1/19 podcast with Deace. Who in the hell scared you SO MUCH that it's causing you to REPEATEDLY defend the Brian Ferentz to OC move? Every time Deace makes a comment about the move....and they've all been spot on....you ask him to explain. WTF??? There is ZERO explanation needed for me on ANYTHING he has said....ESPECIALLY on how few Power 5 teams would even give Brian the time of day. You lose ALL CREDIBILITY when you say that this has nothing to do with nepotism, and more with being qualified. This program is a total joke, and for you to defend this move is laughable.

Just to prove you wrong, there are more than a few offensive coordinators in P5 conferences that have less experience coaching than Brian.

Current Power 5 Offensive Coordinators with little experience: (In no particular order)
1. Thomas Brown - Miami (3 years RB coach for 3 different schools, 1 year strength & conditioning at a 4th school)
2. Brian Ferentz - Iowa (2 years TE coach for NE Patriots, 4 years OL coach at Iowa)
3. Sonnie Cumbie - TCU (2 years WR coach at Texas Tech, 1 year co-OC at Texas Tech)
4. Eric Morris - Texas Tech (1 year WR coach as Wash St, 1 year co-OC at Texas Tech, 2 years OC at TT)
5. Jake Spavital - W Virginia (2 years QB coach at WVa, 3 years OC at Texas A&M, 1 year OC at Cal)
6. Brian Brohm - Purdue (1 year QB coach at W Kentucky)
7. Chip Long - Notre Dame (2 years TE coach at Illinois, 3 years TE coach at Arizona St, 1 year OC at Memphis)

Even though Notre Dame isn't in a P5 conference for football, I thought I'd include them since football is a real big deal there.

This is just a list of CURRENT offensive coordinators that I could click links within Wikipedia. There are currently 3 vacant offensive coordinator positions in the P5 conferences and there are 25 offensive coordinators who did not have any Wikipedia page for any of a number of reasons.

One thing of note: Chuck Long had 7 years experience before becoming OC for Oklahoma, and 3 years were as a DB coach at Iowa.

Watch the PSU, NW, NDS, and Florida games and try to convince someone this was the best offensive line in the country...Just stop...subjective awards are, well, not worth much...other than helping a coach up the ladder. Wonder if Kirk made a few "calls" for his already chosen OC...?

I can only imagine some of these threads if Iowa has another losing season.

I still believe that 90% of these threads are Cyclone fans. No fan in his right mind would complain about a season in which Iowa defeated then #2 Michigan and then #15 Nebraska, and prevailed in 3 out of 4 trophy games. If we had defeated Wisconsin, we would have been right back in the Big Ten title game (and that Wisconsin game came down to 3 or 4 plays).

The Brian Ferentz hire can only be judged as time passes. Anyone paying attention knew it was going to happen at some point. It should not have been a surprise to anyone.

There is no way Brian Ferentz can be worse than the lazy, fat and tired Greg Davis. No way. It is all upside now. At least Brian brings youth, energy, passion and enthusiasm. That is a big part of being successful in any job.
Only proving how predictable KF really is.

Listening right now to your 1/19 podcast with Deace. Who in the hell scared you SO MUCH that it's causing you to REPEATEDLY defend the Brian Ferentz to OC move? Every time Deace makes a comment about the move....and they've all been spot on....you ask him to explain. WTF??? There is ZERO explanation needed for me on ANYTHING he has said....ESPECIALLY on how few Power 5 teams would even give Brian the time of day. You lose ALL CREDIBILITY when you say that this has nothing to do with nepotism, and more with being qualified. This program is a total joke, and for you to defend this move is laughable.

Maybe Ruthie insisted on positive coverage.

You also cant sit here and act like this is just a complete and total garbage program... A joke program is the likes of Rutgers or Kansas... Do we need to and can we improve? Absolutely and some changes have been made to try and generate that, but ya cant act like this program is just trash
I never said it was a total garbage program, and I have high hopes form next year. But I stand by my point that this season was a gigantic letdown. True to form we squeezed out games no one thought we'd win, and shit the bed against a non con and lesser rated teams.

I am always amused when a poster attacks others with the "rose colored glasses", homer bias, etc. Then, the same poster proceeds to criticize everything s/he can think of that has gone wrong with Iowa football in the past. Now, you even go further. You are trying to negate the value of a couple of good victories by pointing out mistakes by other teams. You are indeed your own worst enemy when it comes to trolling Hawk fans.
Sorry you feel that way, but nothing I said was untrue. Michigan WRs had our defensive backs burned time after time and we won that game because they were over thrown. I guess I could YouTube the plays and link them for you if you didn't watch the games.

And when we lost we did it in absolutely stunning fashion.

I enjoyed the wins and the rest of the high points of the season but I'm not going to kid myself at the same time.

Latest posts